telematics so far no one gets discount | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

telematics so far no one gets discount

Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither

Im not sure about all the details but a friend installed it on his car and he has to be careful at what time he moves his car, how lae in the night or early in the morning. Plus all the other detailes of how hard to hit the brakes and how fast you accelerate!

Making driving so much less enjoyable as you constantly have to worry about what is being recorded!

Again, not sure about all the details but it sounds like it is very annoying with very little pros!
Lol... Thats hilarious. I heard on the radio about the absurdly high rates that are paid here. Some new report. Maybe a new thread will be started on this.

I wonder if you could get one of these and attach it to a cable, then throw The Device in a plastic bin full of non-conductive oil to dampen the g-forces.
Isn't it plugged into the car's data port? (I forgot the name of it)

For once we completely agree. Just another scam by the awesome industry of insurance here. :rolleyes:

Its the people screaming about discounts that drove this. You say it's too expensive and they give you a discount but would like to see how you drive and you still aren't happy.

Would never even think about putting this on my car no matter what the potential discount were to be. For one my work finishes at 2 am so I'm already screwed there.

Two, as noted before driving isn't a "yes or no" and seeing how well someone drives based on acceleration and braking tendencies alone is completely inadequate.

Three, "*Your Personal Information may be stored by us and OCTO in Canada, the United States, and Italy. In the event that your Personal Information is transferred to a foreign jurisdiction, it will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and may be disclosed to or accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities in accordance with those laws.*"... Uhhhh not even the slightest chance.

Its the people screaming about discounts that drove this. You say it's too expensive and they give you a discount but would like to see how you drive and you still aren't happy.

It's not realistic. There's a grey area with driving. It's not a simple on/off. This isn't the Cleavers, it's real life. Dog runs out in front of you or a kid, or if you drive at a certain hour you get no discount but they get more reason to screw you. I can see people lining up for this for miles.

It's not realistic. There's a grey area with driving. It's not a simple on/off. This isn't the Cleavers, it's real life. Dog runs out in front of you or a kid, or if you drive at a certain hour you get no discount but they get more reason to screw you. I can see people lining up for this for miles.

They are because of the 10 percent off you get up front. And it looks for patterns not one off actions.

Anyone who believes that the insurance companies have introduced telematics for the benefit of their customers is sadly mistaken - this is marketing and behavior management.

Anyone who believes that the insurance companies have introduced telematics for the benefit of their customers is sadly mistaken - this is marketing and behavior management.
No secret there.
They really think people who has been raping others for years have any decency to be by your side?

It looks for patterns not one off actions.

This is the key to UBI. If you are consistently (meaning daily or hourly) slamming on the brakes to avoid a dog or kid running out on the street, that could mean you are driving too fast, not paying attention, driving in a "high risk" area. In that case, yes you should be paying a higher premium. Imagine this is installed in all the cabs in downtown core.

UBI is about behavioural changes. Discounts are just a by-product.

My main concern would be the off-ramp designs that someone mentioned in an earlier post that forces you to not have gradual acceleration (think of the really short ramps in Montreal that you have only 6 meters to merge). Another concern would be privacy, and that the data doesn't penalize me (not yet from all the providers so far). My understanding is that the underwriting rules and rating guidelines are the same ones as the non-UBI, the device is to get me additional discounts.

Lol... Thats hilarious. I heard on the radio about the absurdly high rates that are paid here. Some new report. Maybe a new thread will be started on this.

Yeah i heard that today on CBC too. No surprise to any of us here in ON. What would be a surprise is an actual drop. The NDP pushed for a 15% drop. Not sure what happened

Yeah i heard that today on CBC too. No surprise to any of us here in ON. What would be a surprise is an actual drop. The NDP pushed for a 15% drop. Not sure what happened

You can have a 15% drop today, but you'll have less coverage.

Insurance is to cover you in case of that 'oh ****' moment. Would you want to save $200/year if your liability coverage was $250K vs $2 Million? or your accident benefits were $10K instead of $100K? etc?

most folks look at the number they pay at the end of the year or per month, but no one really reads what's covered and how much 'protection' you're allotted.

You can have a 15% drop today, but you'll have less coverage.

Insurance is to cover you in case of that 'oh ****' moment. Would you want to save $200/year if your liability coverage was $250K vs $2 Million? or your accident benefits were $10K instead of $100K? etc?

most folks look at the number they pay at the end of the year or per month, but no one really reads what's covered and how much 'protection' you're allotted.

I undestand that but other provinces and specially in states, they have similar coverage with much cheaper rates. Ontario is either the highest or the second highest when it comes to insurance in North America. I could be wrong but whats my understanding of it.

I undestand that but other provinces and specially in states, they have similar coverage with much cheaper rates. Ontario is either the highest or the second highest when it comes to insurance in North America. I could be wrong but whats my understanding of it.

Fair enough. How does that relate to average payouts per claim? ease of access to physio/recovery? turnaround time to payment?

I am in no way affiliated with the insurance industry or anything. I'm just curious if there's a true Apples-to-Apples comparison?

Fair enough. How does that relate to average payouts per claim? ease of access to physio/recovery? turnaround time to payment?

I am in no way affiliated with the insurance industry or anything. I'm just curious if there's a true Apples-to-Apples comparison?

Wish i knew more details to offer. I just find it curious that all other provinces/states can offer insurance at much lower rates and Ontario cant.

Anyone with more knowledge, please chime in.

I think the guy from Canada's worst drivers did an episode of him doing a delivery service on a bicycle in the worst place to drive in the world. I think it was in South America or Taiwan or Malaysia or something. And he said that people in that country could get car insurance (keep in mind most dangerous place to drive with plenty of accidents and fatalitoes) for 15 bucks.......... A year...

I think the guy from Canada's worst drivers did an episode of him doing a delivery service on a bicycle in the worst place to drive in the world. I think it was in South America or Taiwan or Malaysia or something. And he said that people in that country could get car insurance (keep in mind most dangerous place to drive with plenty of accidents and fatalitoes) for 15 bucks.......... A year...

well I paid $50 a year back in the late 80s (in NZ) as a first time rider under 20 for a Suzuki GN250 motorcycle. It was 3rd party coverage only if I was at fault. Mind you back then It was jeans and leather jacket (never heard of armour) .
Im sure things are different now, but I am confident its no way as nearly as expensive as it is in this province. In the 90s I was in Bristish Columbia as a TOURIST and I got insurance for 3 months for a car for $500. I didnt think that was too bad considering my circumstances (non resident etc)

Ontario's benefits have for years been significantly richer than that in other provinces. Ontario's traffic density on a whole is also a lot higher.

In provinces with public auto insurance, rates are often subsidized from general tax revenue. That means the lady without a car is paying for your insurance through her taxes.

In Quebec, insurance is lower but auto and bike registration is much more expensive depending on what you drive. How much do you pay to put plates on a litre sportbike here? Go proce it in Quebec now and prepare for a shock.

Comparing Ontario to other states is a complete non-starter with rare exception. Sure, you pay less in many states but your liability limit can be as little as $10K and your medical benefits nil.

If you're going to compare rates between locales, your should check to see that the basket of goods from those locales are at least somewhat equal to the basket we get here in Ontario.

Last edited:
Ontario's benefits have for years been significantly richer than that in other provinces. Ontario's traffic density on a whole is also a lot higher.

In provinces with public auto insurance, rates are often subsidized from general tax revenue. That means the lady without a car is paying for your insurance through her taxes.

In Quebec, insurance is lower but auto and bike registration is much more expensive depending on what you drive. How much do you pay to put plates on a litre sportbike here? Go proce it in Quebec now and prepare for a shock.

Comparing Ontario to other states is a complete non-starter with rare exception. Sure, you pay less in many states but your liability limit can be as little as $10K and your medical benefits nil.

If you're going to compare rates between locales, your should check to see that the basket of goods from those locales are at least somewhat equal to the basket we get here in Ontario.

True, i havnt checked the liablities and their limits in other states but are we not paying a crazy amount so many people can fake an injury and live off our money?

Also i highly doubt that the insurance companies are not ripping us off to a certani extent (grant it, thats an assumption)

Also, the registration fee is a one time deal where as insurance is for life. I'd much rather pay a little more one time and be free of high prices for the rest of my life.

Back
Top Bottom