telematics so far no one gets discount | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

telematics so far no one gets discount

True, i havnt checked the liablities and their limits in other states but are we not paying a crazy amount so many people can fake an injury and live off our money?

Also i highly doubt that the insurance companies are not ripping us off to a certani extent (grant it, thats an assumption)

Also, the registration fee is a one time deal where as insurance is for life. I'd much rather pay a little more one time and be free of high prices for the rest of my life.

Start here - has links for every US state. http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/car-insurance/

Maybe start with Florida for a real eye-opener. http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/car-insurance/florida/

Quebec's registration fee is not a one-time deal. You pay it to the government every year to renew your plates and it includes basic medical insurance. You also have to purchase a minimum of $50,000 liability insurance from a private auto insurance company to cover third party property damage. If you want collision coverage, that too has to be purchased from a private auto insurance company.

The way this program is setup, you'd have to literally not use your car at all in order to get the full 25% discount, and at that point, why have a car at all?

My Mom uses this thing from The Personal. I think they called it IntelAuto but now it appears to be rebranded Adjusto. Last time I saw her 'dashboard' it indicated that she lost a couple percentage points for driving 500km in a month. This seems odd since the program description states that if you drive under 15000km/year you are eligible for the discount, but it does not mention that it is a sliding scale and the fewer km you drive under the 15k/year the closer to the full 10% of the discount you will get for that category.

So, to Sonny, the fact that no one is achieving the full 25% discount does not imply anything at all towards driving skill, especially when two of the metrics (km driven and time of use) have absolutely nothing to do with driving skill.

I could see how Adjusto would be good for retirees that really never use their car except for the weekly grocery run... otherwise the criteria to get the big discounts are too onerous.

I just checked The Personal... and now they have something even scarier. Now you can download an Adjusto app that monitors your movement behaviour no matter what vehicle you drive. Supposedly it can differentiate when you are a driver or passenger, but I don't see how that is possible. It also monitors speed too, and you are penalized if travel more than 10 over -- something the in car Adjusto claims it does not monitor.

The app-based monitor seems rife for abuse though. What if someone leaves their phone at home -- bonus points for no km driven? What if someone has a 2nd phone and only takes it in the car when they commute?

The Ajusto program records specific driving data through a free app that you download onto your smartphone. The app helps you monitor and improve your driving habits so you can save on your auto insurance premium at renewal. It's the first 100% mobile telematics insurance program in Canada and part of a major trend in the automobile insurance industry.Your driving score can help you save up to 25% on your auto insurance premium at renewal. The Ajusto program lets you track your driving habits daily and puts you in control of your auto insurance savings!
The score you get depends on 4 criteria:

• Driving smoothness. The more you can avoid fast acceleration, hard braking and hard cornering, the higher your score!
  • Speed. Respect the speed limit to reduce the risk of an accident and maximize your score.
  • Time of day travelled. The risk of an accident is lower at certain times of the day. The lower the risk, the more you save!
  • Distance travelled. Shorter trips pay off because they help you increase your score. The less you drive, the more you save!
After 5 trips as a driver, with any vehicle, you'll get a score out of 100. It is calculated using the driving data the app collects and is updated every 24 hours. Your score can help you save up to 25% on your auto insurance premium at renewal.
[h=2]Eligibility[/h]To take advantage of the Ajusto program, you need:

• An auto insurance policy with The Personal.
  • A smartphone (iPhone or Android device) no more than 3 years old—the Ajusto app is compatible with iOS 7 or higher and Android 4 or higher.
  • A data plan to allow the app to collect accurate data. The Ajusto app consumes only small amounts of data.
[h=2]Sign up for the Ajusto program and enjoy all the benefits![/h]
  • Use the innovative app to monitor and improve your driving habits.
  • Compare your driving with your friends and other Ajusto app users, and try to reach pole position in your community of safe drivers.
  • Track your driving habits daily and help make our roads safer.
  • Add the Ajusto program to your auto insurance policy from The Personal and you could save up to 25% on your auto insurance premium at renewal.

Last edited:
we also have to pay yearly to renew our plates.

Yes, we pay $90, in quebec it's over $1100/year for any bike over 401cc, and $250 for a 125. Plus insurance. :D

That Ajusto app is interesting. I guess the idea is that they're just trying to profile you as a driver and project how you will drive, not actually monitor all your driving activity. You don't even have to be a client to try it out. Gonna fool around with it. I wonder if they're securely transmitting this data... ?

For the ones that plug into your OBDII port, what stops you from just unplugging it?

I guess it coul dlook at the mileage between points it was activated, but other than that?

For the ones that plug into your OBDII port, what stops you from just unplugging it?

I guess it coul dlook at the mileage between points it was activated, but other than that?

unplugging it would void the discount. Probably has some clause where it must be plugged in at all times, etc.

Hell no I would never install one of these devices in my vehicle. I accept that I'd be considered a higher risk according to their bulls*** criteria and would rather the anonymity of a slightly higher premium.

So--assuming it connects to the OBDII port--what's stopping someone from going to the junk yard to salvage an ECU then hooking it and the monitoring device up to a battery tender?

Hell no I would never install one of these devices in my vehicle. I accept that I'd be considered a higher risk according to their bulls*** criteria and would rather the anonymity of a slightly higher premium.

So--assuming it connects to the OBDII port--what's stopping someone from going to the junk yard to salvage an ECU then hooking it and the monitoring device up to a battery tender?

I like the way you think, however - Some (many? most? I don't actually know) cars will report their VIN via OBD-II, and the insurance company already has your real VIN on hand. They might question you on it. They *must* have a way to verify that the device is plugged into the vehicle that it's supposed to be, as it would be a super obvious dodge in multiple car households

Back
Top Bottom