telematics so far no one gets discount | GTAMotorcycle.com

telematics so far no one gets discount

sonnythebull

Banned
Site Supporter
I just heard interesting news from Intact. apparently so far after all the people that have tried telematics to reduce their premium NO ONE has qualified for the maximum 25% discount after they were monitored.
its not suprising that everyone thinks they drive better than they do but it is shocking that no one has received the renewal discount so far..

Last edited:
I just heard interesting news from Intact. apparently so far after all the people that have tried telematics to reduce their premium NO ONE has qualified for the discount after they were monitored.
its not suprising that everyone thinks they drive better than they do but it is shocking that no one has received the renewal discount so far..

I highly doubt nobody would qualify for a driving discount. I wonder what the sample size is...

Either their criteria is completely out of whack, or there's another issue.

I highly doubt nobody would qualify for a driving discount. I wonder what the sample size is...

Either their criteria is completely out of whack, or there's another issue.

edited above I should have said the maximum 25%

I definitely wouldn't be using one of these devices. I think we have enough monitoring as it is.

Im not sure about all the details but a friend installed it on his car and he has to be careful at what time he moves his car, how lae in the night or early in the morning. Plus all the other detailes of how hard to hit the brakes and how fast you accelerate!

Making driving so much less enjoyable as you constantly have to worry about what is being recorded!

Again, not sure about all the details but it sounds like it is very annoying with very little pros!

I just heard interesting news from Intact. apparently so far after all the people that have tried telematics to reduce their premium NO ONE has qualified for the maximum 25% discount after they were monitored.

What's the criteria (driving habits, etc) required to have a discount applied? Is it reasonable? or very constrained?

Im not sure about all the details but a friend installed it on his car and he has to be careful at what time he moves his car, how lae in the night or early in the morning. Plus all the other detailes of show hard to hit the brake and how fast you accelerate!

Making driving so much less enjoyable as you constantly have to worry about what is being recorded!

Again, not sure about all the details but it sounds like it is very annoying with very little pros!

Hit the brakes and avoid a crash but lose a discount. Driving is more complex than a yes / no question.

I wonder if you could get one of these and attach it to a cable, then throw The Device in a plastic bin full of non-conductive oil to dampen the g-forces.

I signed up a few months back. Didn't really want to, but we moved and our car insurance almost doubled unexpectedly. I didn't really want to participate, but it was hard to say no to the hundreds of dollars of sign up discount on principle alone. I also know I'm going to be switching insurance in a few months when I'm up for renewal anyway.

As much as I don't like anyone tracking my driving, it's really not that bad. They're only recording acceleration, deceleration, kms travelled, and time of day. My car is a beater and I have all the fun on my bike anyway.

After a few months, we're still at about 5% additional discount. The criteria is ridiculous. While I will say most of our penalties are from my wife's accelerations (I can see the exact time they occured :) ), its insane that we don't qualify for more. You would be shocked how slow 12/kmh/second actually is. If we don't accelerate slower than that, I don't know who does. We are far from speed daemons, we keep safe following distance, always signal and check blind spots, don't use our phones while driving, ect, ect, ect. I don't believe they can accurately assess driving from the stats they're recording.

For anyone that's interested, this is what they say about increasing your discounts:

The following three driving aspects are taken into consideration when calculating your potential discount:

1. Rapid acceleration

2. Hard braking

3. Trips during high-risk periods (Trips between 12 a.m. and 4 a.m.)

The better your driving habits, the more you could save. Here’s how it works.

1. Rapid acceleration is defined as any increase of speed of 12 km/h or more in 1 second.

We assign a different severity level to these accelerations:

Severity level: Definition
Low: Acceleration from 12 km/h to 14.9 km/h in 1 second
Medium: Acceleration from 15 km/h to 17.9 km/h in 1 second
High: Acceleration of 18 km/h or more in 1 second

Continuous acceleration (e.g. going from 40 km/h to 100 km/h) will register as a single acceleration event.

2. Hard braking is defined as any decrease of speed of 12 km/h or more in 1 second.

We assign a different severity level to these decelerations:

Severity level: Definition
Low: Deceleration from 12 km/h to 14.9 km/h in 1 second
Medium: Deceleration from 15 km/h to 17.9 km/h in 1 second
High: Deceleration of 18 km/h or more in 1 second

Continuous Deceleration (e.g. going from 100 km/h to 40 km/h) will register as a single deceleration event.

3. Driving at night (between midnight and 4 a.m.) increases the risk of being involved in an accident. Many elements, such as reduced visibility and fatigue, make this time of day the riskiest.*my*Driving Discount™ therefore evaluates the time of day you’re driving to determine your personalized high-risk period factor. The less you drive at night the more you could save.

Last edited:
Why anybody would voluntarily install one of these is beyond me.

Oh how quick people are willing to give up there freedoms for a "perceived" short term gain........

Why anybody would voluntarily install one of these is beyond me.

Oh how quick people are willing to give up there freedoms for a "perceived" short term gain........

For once we completely agree. Just another scam by the awesome industry of insurance here. :rolleyes:

BS insurance. I accelerate rapidly from 40 to 120km/hr every day. There's a poorly designed on-ramp that I take on my way to work that's short and uphill. I have to round a curve, then accelerate up into motorway traffic that is not only going flying by, but off-ramping onto my lane as well. Couple that with some twat in front of me sipping coffee and slowly accelerating to 60km/h to merge and I need to get the hell away from them. My Audi has no issue, but my Jeep is screaming at redline to get going as it is.

Back
Top Bottom