Painting a 2-Storey House, Top to Bottom (No Basement) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Painting a 2-Storey House, Top to Bottom (No Basement)

gixxer_dave

I know there a few trades guys on here, so, I thought I would get some feedback here...

Pre-notes: I don't have the time or patience to paint the house on my own, or, with friends etc. etc., the old lady often has clients that come in and out of the house so I need it done within a few days so that her make-up/aesthetic clients (i.e. cash flow) are not affected.

So, the question is, based on similar experiences, what would you pay to have a 1700 sq-ft house painted from top to bottom, including all trim (baseboards/windows), interior doors, kitchen ceiling, dinette, living room, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a big-*** foyer? House is 8 years old, in good condition, mild patch-ups would be anticipated.

I have got a couple estimates and both fell out around $2200-$2400 including paint etc. etc... does this seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

So, the question is, based on similar experiences, what would you pay to have a 1700 sq-ft house painted from top to bottom, including all trim (baseboards/windows), interior doors, kitchen ceiling, dinette, living room, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a big-*** foyer? House is 8 years old, in good condition, mild patch-ups would be anticipated.

I have got a couple estimates and both fell out around $2200-$2400 including paint etc. etc... does this seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

All that, for the price you show......take it and run......

but......

does that include sanding everything, how many coats are being applied, type of paint, there is some really cheap stuff out there, and I don't see it being done in a few days, unless they have a bigger crew, then someone is not making much money and for that you will get a crappy job.....

All that, for the price you show......take it and run......

but......

does that include sanding everything, how many coats are being applied, type of paint, there is some really cheap stuff out there, and I don't see it being done in a few days, unless they have a bigger crew, then someone is not making much money and for that you will get a crappy job.....

I've seen his work (has a team of 3-4 guys), it's pretty good. My saving grace is that the walls are in pretty good shape as is... minimal nail pops and not many imperfections to cover up. 2 coats, neutral colours.
Those were my thoughts, with a crew of 2-3 guys, there isn't much leftover if it takes them 3-4 days. If I do go this way, I will be sure to send an update back on how they did.

Hopefully it's mild outside so I can leave the windows wide open to reduce the fumes!

Don't leave the windows open, it wet and damp outside and this is not good for paint to dry and cure, if you must leave the windows open somewhat, but have the heat on in the house, today's better paints do not have the same smells as the ones in the past.

What you are wanting done, will probably take at least 5 days, prep work will chew up a day or 2, cutting in first then first coat, a day, then drying time, then 2nd cutting and a second coat another day, have to do the trim work either before the walls or after, that's another day,,,,plus moving of furniture out of the way and so on....

How is this guy going to make any money.....or he is really good and really fast, and his crew are just as good.....good hired help that can paint well are 17-22 bucks an hour....

I hope you are satisfied with the work.....

I was gonna say...The amount of time required and the extent of work thats a very reasonable quotation.

That's an awesome price. I do some painting work with my dad and my last job was 1400$ for a 700sqft apartment which included, trim, windows, bathroom, etc....

great price just watch for overcharges.

Thats a very fair price, professionals will likely be in and out in two days. The guys I've used are very fast, I'd use those guys at that price.

My in-laws just had their place painted, decent results. 1400 sqft, all walls painted, trim not painted, all supplies included for $700. No idea how the painter made any money at all.

If you know the guy and are comfortable working with him, then go for it. The price seems extremely competetive. I'm in commercial construction, with not that much exposure to the cheap resi guys. Especially if it's for cash, etc. A lot of these smaller guys do some of the work themselves, which keeps their costs down. For a typical paint job, at least in my world, it would cost about 1.75-2.00/sqft. (So a 10' long wall, 8' high would be 160.00, painted one side). A door and frame is 50.00-85.00 each and trim is about 1.00/lft.

So it sounds like you got a screamin' deal. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I've seen his work (has a team of 3-4 guys), it's pretty good. My saving grace is that the walls are in pretty good shape as is... minimal nail pops and not many imperfections to cover up. 2 coats, neutral colours.
Those were my thoughts, with a crew of 2-3 guys, there isn't much leftover if it takes them 3-4 days. If I do go this way, I will be sure to send an update back on how they did.

Hopefully it's mild outside so I can leave the windows wide open to reduce the fumes!
If he brings 4 guys for 2-3 days and charges $2200 he's nuts. You should take the deal.

Thanks for the feedback y'all. I'm planning to go with it and he may be able to fit me in over the weekend... I will keep you all in the loop with some honest feedback regarding quality and workmanship and the end price/results vs estimate.

At that price, he must be using the cheap paint.

Trust me on this, I've been there and done that many times. Splurge for the better quality paints, not the cheap stuff.

Don't say I didn't warn you.... :)

Sent from my Passport

Imo the op can buy the paint himself and still come out with a good deal.

Thanks for the heads-up.. He's using Sherwin-Williams which I understand to be decent?

all the big companies have their cheap lines, and the good stuff. Sherwin Williams no different. I prefer the Benjamin Moore stuff myself.

Back
Top Bottom