Seller is not on UVIP. red flag? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Seller is not on UVIP. red flag?

Yeah, I was thinking more like an online, print your own UVIP kinda thing, where you can grab the info as a PDF or whatever.

(un)related: I miss the convenience of the Kiosks for sticker renewal and basic things. At least they send the stickers in the mail when you renew, so you're not stuck in an MTO line for hours.
That's too convenient for our backwards service Ontario.

Whats the big deal here ?

If the seller has the bike + Ownership --> its pretty legit.

UVIP is $20 - ask seller to provide it, or if you have the VIN #, go spend the $20 at the MTO and get one. Anyone can get a UVIP with a VIN #. The only piece of info that's key on the UVIP is the lien info.

I've bought stuff without a UVIP, just make the bill of sale very detailed and put the sellers / buyer info on the bill of sale.

The other way around this is to tell him you NEED the vin as you want to confirm insurance prices before buying and the insurer is insiting upon the VIN.

Hehe yeah, I mentioned that. Didn't respond. Wasn't comfortable. We'll see in person.

UVIP is $20 - ask seller to provide it, or if you have the VIN #, go spend the $20 at the MTO and get one. Anyone can get a UVIP with a VIN #. The only piece of info that's key on the UVIP is the lien info.

I've bought stuff without a UVIP, just make the bill of sale very detailed and put the sellers / buyer info on the bill of sale.

I guess, forme at least, it's the principle of potentially buying a bike from a thief. Names not on the registration and won't provide the UVIP. I keep my registration in the seat of my bike, ergo anyone with the key (assuming the key got stolen too) has access to the bike and registration. And to be fair this probably happens a lot in legitimate ways (ie someone just not registering out of laziness or because they found a different bike or whatever and don't want to pay if they know they'll ride another bike soon) but there's still that chance.

I know I for sure wouldn't want to fund underground activity. So I'd be cautious.

Hehe yeah, I mentioned that. Didn't respond. Wasn't comfortable. We'll see in person.

It's the sellers responsibility to provide a UVIP. I wouldn't spend money getting one.

By Ontario law, private sellers of most motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must provide buyers with a Used Vehicle Information Package. This package guides you through the process of buying or selling and helps you understand your rights and responsibilities.

Failure to show the Used Vehicle Information Package to all interested buyers, and failure to give the package to the buyer are offences under the Highway Traffic Act.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml

One of you will pay for the UVIP, as it is mandatory to get, or your purchase and his sale will not happen, if you want to chance it and purchase the bike that is up to you, but once you go to get the ownership put in your name, the MTO will do a UVIP and charge you the 20 bucks right on the spot, and if any issues are on there, well your left holding the bag...

I purchased 2 bikes, no UVIP provided by the seller, I really did not care, as the bikes would either be put on the road if no issues, or broken down for parts and or track bikes. I went and did the UVIP on my own, nothing was amiss and I put the bikes into my name right there and then.

if he has an old UVIP have him send it to you, fax, email etc, it will have the VIN, you can then spend the 20 bucks yourself and get an updated one, if anything is fishy you are only out 20 bucks, and if it's really bad report the guy to the MTO or Police for trying to sell something that is not on the up and up....

I bought my current bike without the UVIP and had to pay for it myself at the ministry. I made the seller put a guarantee on the bill of sale that there is no lean on the vehicle.

I have a friend who flipped a few bikes before that he purchased in the fall / winter, didn't change ownership to avoid paying taxes / fees. He simply resold them in the spring using the UVIP / ownership slip which was provided to him by the actual owner (these were signed by the actual owner). He simply told the new buyer that he is selling for a friend.

I bought my current bike without the UVIP and had to pay for it myself at the ministry. I made the seller put a guarantee on the bill of sale that there is no lean on the vehicle.

I have a friend who flipped a few bikes before that he purchased in the fall / winter, didn't change ownership to avoid paying taxes / fees. He simply resold them in the spring using the UVIP / ownership slip which was provided to him by the actual owner (these were signed by the actual owner). He simply told the new buyer that he is selling for a friend.

Also known as Curbsiding.

Be careful, after 3 transactions in a year, they put a little asterisk next to your name at the Ministry.

I guess, forme at least, it's the principle of potentially buying a bike from a thief. Names not on the registration and won't provide the UVIP. I keep my registration in the seat of my bike, ergo anyone with the key (assuming the key got stolen too) has access to the bike and registration. And to be fair this probably happens a lot in legitimate ways (ie someone just not registering out of laziness or because they found a different bike or whatever and don't want to pay if they know they'll ride another bike soon) but there's still that chance.

I know I for sure wouldn't want to fund underground activity. So I'd be cautious.

Even with all the concerns of legit ownership / theft out of the way.... if this is the approach the seller takes to vehicle registration, do you trust the maintenance being done to the bike?

How would the ministry have your name if you are not registering the vehicle in question?

If we didn't have a 13% sales tax on used vehicles people wouldn't do this "curbsiding".

Also known as Curbsiding.

Be careful, after 3 transactions in a year, they put a little asterisk next to your name at the Ministry.

I've bought and sold bikes without registering them or having them registered in the persons name I got them from or my own. I've even gotten bikes without ownership. Detailed Bill of Sale is key. Any ownership or UVIP is always a great start, however like many of us have said already. A lot of people won't register a bike to avoid paying taxes and ownership transfer fee.

How it's supposed to work:

Where transfer of ownership or end of lease

11. (1) Upon the holder of a permit ceasing to be the owner or lessee of the motor vehicle or trailer referred to in the permit, he, she or it shall,
(a) remove his, her or its number plates from the vehicle;
(b) retain the plate portion of the permit; and
(c) on delivery of the vehicle,
(i) to the new owner, complete and sign the transfer application of the vehicle portion of the permit including the date of the delivery and give that portion of the permit to the new owner, or

(ii) to a lessor, give the vehicle portion of the permit to the lessor. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (1).
Re-issue of permit
(2) Every person shall, within six days after becoming the owner of a motor vehicle or trailer for which a permit has been issued, apply to the Ministry, on the form provided therefor, for a new permit for the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (2).

Bike seller refused to give VIN# over the phone.

I actually hate that about Ontario. Pay tax to the government on private sales. It even sounds idiotic.

yea don't even get us started on our insurance prices..................

IwK5sDa.gif

Even with all the concerns of legit ownership / theft out of the way.... if this is the approach the seller takes to vehicle registration, do you trust the maintenance being done to the bike?

I don't.

But if I had to choose between giving a thief what he wants or buying a bike that hasn't been winterized or hasn't had its oil changed at exactly what the manual says I'd choose the latter over the former.

Lien information on UVIP is BS!

I bought a bike in March and UVIP showed lien on it. The seller showed me a Loan Transaction paper that said that the lien was paid off. I went to the bank with the seller and they gave us a letter:

Please, be advised that the above-mentioned loan has been paid in full and XXXXX Bank has no further interest in the leisure vehicle: XXXXX

Most importantly: the lien was paid off in October!!! 5 months ago and UVIP still shows lien.

If it take MTO months to update their records, what if someone just takes a loan, put it on a bike and then sells the bike??? It won't show up on UVIP for months! So, my verdict is that Lien info on UVIP is useless.

We should be paid $20 for the UVIP hassle.
I sold my car Thursday evening. Buyer's bank was open. They wanted the car immediately. Money was not an issue.
I was going to get the safety & UVIP Saturday. Buyer said they'd take care of it.
Noon Saturday, doorbell goes off. Buyer standing on my porch with all paperwork, demanding refund due to lien.
UVIP shows a lien. WTF?
I told them wait until Monday.
I called Honda Finance. NO lien. HF will send new buyer copy of clear car.
New buyer was satisfied. But ****** over the holiday weekend.
I hate Kijiji.

Back
Top Bottom