Got a new project | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got a new project

No worries.

So would the vin# be enough to get the key code, or do I really need the lock barrel#?

Keep in mind that Hondas from that era usually came with two different keys... One for the ignition, the other for the seat and fork mounted steering lock.

All nakid!

8cf6fded72164d4ff77b93ff77f48a72.jpg

N
Restore it! too many of these bikes are getting chopped into Cafe bikes.

Kept my cb750 stock (except for the $1300 exhaust). This one is not such a classic, but we'll see. It may end up stock too if that's the least expensive way to get it back on the road.

N

Kept my cb750 stock (except for the $1300 exhaust). This one is not such a classic, but we'll see. It may end up stock too if that's the least expensive way to get it back on the road.

Here's an idea. Do whatever it takes to make it functional. Don't do the moto equivilant of jeans torn at the knee with high heels. A good call on your part is the airbox. I think you're well on your way.

I remember these. I couldn't afford a new one off the floor so I ended up with a barely-used 76 cb360t. It was something like $400.00 cheaper.

Last edited:
I remember these. I couldn't afford a new one off the floor so I ended up with a barely-used 76 cb360t. It was something like $400.00 cheaper.

I have a similar story, but 1 notch down: I wanted to buy a new 1972 350 twin but my dad's biggest bike was a BMW 250 single, so he thought the 350 was too big as a first bike, and I ended up buying a new cd175 twin.

Pleasant afternoon in the garage with the project bike. Removed both wheels to clean them up, reinstalled them, switched out the rusted handlebars with a new set of lower euro-S bars I had around, removed the ignition switch with its harness, and removed chain to clean it up (later).

immersing chain in diesel, is that best?

Last edited:
I thought I'd be tossing the exhausts in the bin because they were so rusty. Decided to try the diet Pepsi and aluminum foil trick, and was amazed how well that worked. The exhausts are now useable!

90562fbb593d64d23da42179409af9de.jpg

Last edited:
One cool thing about older bikes is that there is a ton of stuff on line free in terms of information.

Here's the service shop Manual:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...jBQswTuDyomoaXQ9w&sig2=fuXwdvP9PNaIEbjcNiyjuw

Thanks for that! It'll be useful.

cleaning up the master brake cylinder right now. The fluid has turned into a paste and the piston (operated by the front brake lever) is seized. Don't know yet how to get it out to clean it up and make it functional.

The master cylinder can be a pain. If the bore is coroded you may have problems even with a rebuild kit. That said there must be lots of MCs that would fit that bike at the salvage places. A brand new after market MC is only about 80$ and they come with the built brake switch which allows you to ditch the splitter (not on your single disc) and the bulky factory switch.

Pleasant afternoon in the garage with the project bike. Removed both wheels to clean them up, reinstalled them, switched out the rusted handlebars with a new set of lower euro-S bars I had around, removed the ignition switch with its harness, and removed chain to clean it up (later).

immersing chain in diesel, is that best?

let it soak in Kerosene, it will clean and lube at the same time

edit....

you do know of this place right, as they have a lot of stuff available....

http://www.siriusconinc.com/index.php

Last edited:
Thanks, dirtbag. A new aftermarket master cylinder makes sense given the condition of this one.

There is still the key issue. What I'd like to do is Hotwire the ignition until I know the bike runs and is worth spending money on for a new ignition switch unit (and master cylinder unit.)

I've removed the ignition switch unit (from the instrument cluster) with its wiring and 6 pronged plug (unplugged from main harness in the headlight bucket). I need to find out where to place jumpers in the headlight bucket plug, that fulfill the function of the ignition switch. The answer lies in the wiring diagram of course.

fad6e9217515346e9e11c7db03c92d54.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom