green or blue plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

green or blue plate

rescue

picked up a wr250f that has ownership but no plates. need to register and can get it safetied for a blue plate .... but don't want the added cost of higher insurance but want the blue plate for future options and resale.
can I get a blue plate but run as a green plate?
if this makes sense

If you've got a brown MTO ownership (the vehicle half of the license slip) then you are likely stuck with a green offroad plate only. If it is a green slip (like a car registration) then you can get a blue plate. Basically, if it has a street registration now you'll be able to get a blue plate for it, but not the other way around.

My understanding is that you can switch from a blue plate to a green plate if you want to save a few bucks, but you will not be able to convert it back to a blue plate later.

As Ash said it depends on the color of the ownership. If it is eligible for a green plate only it will say OFF ROAD on the ownership.

To answer can you get a blue plate and "just run it as a green plate" it also depends on what you mean by "run it" you can ride a blue pated bike on YOUR OWN property without insurance, (as you could with a green plate). ANYWHERE else, friends land, Ganny etc you will require insurance to operate it. Which you would also require for a green plated vehicle, if being ridden on someone elses land. If it is blue plated then your insurer will charge insurance based on that. They won't just take your word your not street ridding..lol

Pulled this from OFTR, (Ontario Federation of Trail Riders), which is the body that sells riding permits for dirt bikes.

You must have liability insurance to ride on public land including but not limited to roads, road allowances, fire roads and trails. This includes municipal forests, conservation areas and crown lands.

It is also important to note that your home policy does not cover your dirt bike in the event it is stolen or lost in a fire, flood, etc. You must have fire and theft coverage in addition to liability to cover your bike.

yes I have a green slip for blue plates. I wont be running any lights on it or on the road but will be at Gana.
what I'm trying to see if I somehow keep the blue plate designation while paying $100 /yr insurance
and not getting hassled by the trail cops

yes I have a green slip for blue plates. I wont be running any lights on it or on the road but will be at Gana.
what I'm trying to see if I somehow keep the blue plate designation while paying $100 /yr insurance
and not getting hassled by the trail cops

Short answer? No. It's either blue or green plate. You can't have a road legal blue plate and carry only off road insurance. Insurance companies don't allow it.

Actually I've been told (haven't done it yet myself) that you need to request an offroad policy.

Maybe tomorrow I'll call and do it for my bike.

Oh, and I advise against getting a green plate if it has a blue one now. They're getting harder to come by and there's still some enduro's around that include road sections.

I agree with Iceman here. Its one or the other. I just sold my 2001 wr250f because it had the street ownership and I didn't want to pay for a safety and street insurance to trail ride with my kids. I did enjoy the bike for 7 years on private trails but as my kids get older we're looking at more places to ride like crown land ect....So I just picked up a 2006 wr with brown ownership.

Back
Top Bottom