Commuting downtown | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Commuting downtown

Good luck (seriously), especially with the Pan Am games ramping up. I'd remain wary of splitting. The police may not seem to care at the moment but as more people do it (Pan Am), it will become a viable revenue stream. Security concerns will mean more aircraft/police presence everywhere and a motorcycle ignoring traffic regulations might draw more attention than expected.

Keep a level head, too. Toronto has it's charms but the distracted/raging drivers isn't one of them--the city funnels them in. Still, even a traffic jam is better on a bike, unless it's crazy hot. Keep water handy.

Gotta be careful with the don mills diamond lane... Cagers generally dont give a F and are always in that lane pretending they're lost and didn't notice.

I wish this were true. I know several ppl (including myself unfortunately) that were pulled over for this, not fun (stupid law)

172 worthy? or improper lane change ticket?

The DVP seems to be stop and go 24/7 near the 401. I usually prefer Bayview, though I've never tried it at rush hour.

404 to DVP most of the time, but if at the height of rush hour, I'll take Don Mills diamond lane if the DVP gets stalled.

I wish this were true. I know several ppl (including myself unfortunately) that were pulled over for this, not fun (stupid law)

That sucks, where did you get stopped? I feel that some divisions are more lenient than others. Uptown (st clair) area, it's pretty much frowned upon but downtown (queen w etc) I havn't seen any issues.

The DVP seems to be stop and go 24/7 near the 401. I usually prefer Bayview, though I've never tried it at rush hour.

Bayview is alright at rush hour at the bottom end of the city. But it jams up starting around Davisville, opens after after Eglinton then slows down again after Lawrence on and off all the way to the 401.

Find this way works quite well dependent on the time, though now eglinton ave is #$@#$ because of construction and will be like this for 3 years

DVP N/B Exit bloor go up bayview northbound, moore st. to liard, to eglinton ave to leslie, up north to 401.

s/b is dependant on time DVP is usually pretty good s/b until you hit about 6:15 am (where it will be slow from sheppard ave or a little north to wynford), and should clear up as you approach eglinton ave... where I work , quite frequently I leave downtown to a site in the north area I travel the major routes (including the gardiner) early or late in the day.....

I commute from downtown every day. Usually for sb, if I am not on the DVP for 3:15 PM, i bypass it and try kingston rd, because I live out east. Don Mills may be an alternative, because of the motorcycle lane there from 3-6pm or is it 7? N/b Don mills to york mills then to the dvp, and on ur way.

I come in for work at 3:45 AM in the morning, so I dont have any traffic on the way in.. sometimes you can shoot a cannon ball down the road, and it wont come anywhere close to hitting anything. Either that or a drunk driver, drifting between the lanes :mad: (angry face). Times i start in the afternoon or over night .....

For those taking the gardiner, it starts to jam up around 5:40 eastbound, usually approaching windermere ave / ellis avenue and is like that till about 9 in the evening... BRUTAL!! though it lightens up during parts of the day (after 11am), through the construction zone, eastbound east of the humber river, all the way to bathurst street, it's a mess.

Westbound it's usually jammed from jarvis at around 7:45 am all the way into the evening again around 8-9 pm again, fluctuating dependant on times of the day.. sometimes jammed from jarvis, sometimes jammed from spadina; dependent on time of day.

God can only predict once Pan am games comes to town..... Traffic will be a nightmare!

Last edited:
What about from sauga to downtown core?

Queensway?
Lakeshore
QEW + Lakeshore
(as you may have noticed, i didnt mention the Gardiner as it seems to be a clusterfak every single day)
What are your travel times?
I commute on the bike every day from Mississauga to Fort York and like it very much. Don't know if I'll be singing the same tune come mid-summer & Pan Am. Right now it's about 20 minutes or so going in and 25 coming home.

I commute from Aurora. In the winter and when it's raining I take the GO train. In the summer I ride.

Like many before have said - 404 to DVP - getting off at York Mills to take Don Mills south (if traffic is bad).

I love riding into work during the summer. Best way to end a long work day, that's for sure.

What are your travel times?
I commute on the bike every day from Mississauga to Fort York and like it very much. Don't know if I'll be singing the same tune come mid-summer & Pan Am. Right now it's about 20 minutes or so going in and 25 coming home.
Might be right in the middle of the worst, basically id have to start between 830-9 AM and finish...well i can always stay back ... but im near the entertainment district, moving to queens quay and bay during summer.

Might be right in the middle of the worst, basically id have to start between 830-9 AM and finish...well i can always stay back ... but im near the entertainment district, moving to queens quay and bay during summer.
I have nothing to offer you at peak rush hour - that's a bad time indeed. I'd try to change my work hours if possible - otherwise you are seriously stuck in traffic both directions.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Looks like I might start downtown as early as next week.
Luckily I will be in Florida during the Pan Am games :D

I have nothing to offer you at peak rush hour - that's a bad time indeed. I'd try to change my work hours if possible - otherwise you are seriously stuck in traffic both directions.
*dislike*
oh well, ill try to figure out a way.to not slit my wrists. walk my bike along lakeshore on the sidewalk? ahha

Thanks for all the inputs.
Looks like I might start downtown as early as next week.
Luckily I will be in Florida during the Pan Am games :D

I'm sure those billions of dollars will entertain hundreds of people at the Pan Am games.

Back
Top Bottom