Hard break in vs Manufacturer recommended | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hard break in vs Manufacturer recommended

I can confirm motoman's break in really works. I've had a fair bit of experience breaking in new engines and tearing down engines for performance builds. Without a doubt the engines that were broke in with the motoman method have far less carbon build up, and used less oil. It's not black magic or just some internet bs, it's a pretty well known and understood concept among engine builders.

I don't claim to be a profesional engine builder, just a guy that actually has first hand experience in this. Most people out there that will advise you on proper break in have never seen the inside of an engine.

Now I'm not saying that the manufactures recommendations are better or worse for you, that's your decision. But I can guarantee you if you want the most hp and least oil consumption out of your engine there is no doubt how important combustion chamber pressures are in achieving a proper seal between the rings and the cylinder wall.

I basically spent the afternoon doing the break in. I got to 53km, and brought it home. Changed the oil & filter. I let the oil pass over some aluminum foil so I could see all the **** in the oil. God damn. Thank god I drained that ****. Visible solid particles. Anyways. Fresh oil in there now. Step 2 is tomorrow. :D

Hopefully the roads are warmer tomorrow too.. felt the rear wiggle on me on a downshift..

How many keep their bikes long enough to worry about longevity???

You mister 100 k on his bike lol

This used to be my signature, but Paulo didn't like it.

No manufacturer is going to recommend you go out and flog the machine right out from the showroom. Can you imagine how many would come back to the dealer with something wrong and claim it was because the manufacturer told them to do it?

You are not going to ruin your machine by following what the manufacturer tells you what to do. Why deviate from it?

As for me, I ride or drive as I do from the day I get the vehicle. I do take it easy but, that's typically because I'm learning about the machine itself.

There are tons of advice out there. Especially folks with testimonials about the methods and ways they break in their machines and how well they perform.

I can't see manufacturers engaging into conspiracies in regards to breaking in their machines. Sounds like Internet bs to me.

Do you guys actually think your brand new bikes actually have 0 km on your engines ? There tested before any Thing is recorded on the tack

Do you guys actually think your brand new bikes actually have 0 km on your engines ? There tested before any Thing is recorded on the tack

Exactly, the manufacturer has already done numerous full throttle to redline runs to make sure the engine is good before leaving the factory. Babying the thing after that is pointless.

Mine do but they're not from the manufacturer lol.

But seriously you guys believe that the manufacture is going to build a motor and slap it in the bike and never start it or run it through a series of stress tests ?
There just going to hope it will be ok ?

But seriously you guys believe that the manufacture is going to build a motor and slap it in the bike and never start it or run it through a series of stress tests ?
There just going to hope it will be ok ?

Exactly. I was watching the Kawasaki episode of twist of the throttle and the last step in the assembly line was to put it on the dyno and test it out.

Sent from my iPhone

When it comes to vaccines, engine oil and break in procedure, I always put my faith on people from the internet.

When it comes to vaccines, engine oil and break in procedure, I always put my faith on people from the internet.

If you follow everything the manual said you'd have essentially a brand new bike by the time it hit 40,000km.

Exactly. I was watching the Kawasaki episode of twist of the throttle and the last step in the assembly line was to put it on the dyno and test it out.

Sent from my iPhone
Should come with some proof of performance graphs, then. The electronic crap we buy at work usually comes with some. They go straight into the trash and we retest the equipment but they still come with them.

Should come with some proof of performance graphs, then. The electronic crap we buy at work usually comes with some. They go straight into the trash and we retest the equipment but they still come with them.
They have them in case they need them. Most likely won't willingly supply them to the average consumer, but if a big customer(like a police department) wanted them they can probably get them or if they need them for any legal reasons.

My 2 cents (if it's even worth 2 cents) is I follow the manual BUT I do give it some roll ons now and then, NEVER lug it, and most of all use your engine (compression stops) to brake when possible.
Always always ALWAYS let you bike warm all the way up!

You mister 100 k on his bike lol...

...and I don't worry about it.

I think of it like this: The manufacturer recommendation will keep the longevity of the engine. A hard break-in will possibly gain a bit of power, but enough to make a difference for a street rider? Probably not.

Obviously the manufacturer method will work. However there is much more than one way to do things.

I find the manufacturer's guide is a basic way to have it work, and also to obviously limit stupid people doing stupid things as well as stupid potential lawsuits. Imagine the accident suing going on if a manufacturer said that owners should aggressively break in a motor.

People saying a hard break in is worse are hilarious. What is a hard break in? Such an open ended word for what can be done a million different ways.

There are benefits to a motor that has had a good break in that seem to be oblivious to some people. Better ring/cylinder sealing and better compression, etc lead to more hp. Too soft a break in can happen and is not optimal. Conversely too hard a break in can happen and is not optimal. But there is a middle ground, and it is likely vast, where a hundred or a thousand different ways to more aggressively break in a motor gets all the benefits with no drawbacks.

I have done break in on a bunch of new motors over the years. I used to do it the manufacturer way completely. All the ones I dyno'd had average hp/tq numbers.

Then after a bunch of research and reading I did break in a new sportbike more aggressively than the OEM recommendation following some specific but basic guidelines, but not that hard, and it repeatedly dyno'd the highest of any stock (internals) motor for that bike in the entire GTA. I've been happy with that.

There is a lot of reading on break in out there. For example, http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm . Google search, read and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
It's like the vaccination argument... certified doctors and stats vs. the internet.

In this case, replace doctors with "engineerers" and manufacturors putting a warranty behind their owner's manual.

I'd put my money on the ones who had to go to school to get their designations with companies who spent billions of dollars on research & development over the past few decades.

off the topic. the problem with vaccinations is that mercury is being used to preserve the shelf life so manufacturers can store them for long periods of time. They can be made without mercury but they would not be able to store them for long periods. It is a cost factor. Mercury is one of the most toxic elements known. It's not the internet - many reputable scientests / whistle blowers have documented evidence of this. Big pharma use their bought and paid for puppet scientests to smear and skewer evidence. While going to school (toxicology / analytical chemistry / microbiology / ) if as little as a quarter drop of mercury was spilled in the lab it was req'd that a mandatory government inspection/clean up be carried out. Now inject this in your babies. The term "mad hatter" came about from those working with mercury. Money doesn't talk - it screams. Big pharma pays well for its findings, and the problem now is that big pharma funds universities - thereby making sure the "right" information is taught. It has been known for a very long time how extremely toxic mercury is - but injecting just a little bit into our children is OK? The worst part is that it isn't even req'd to produce vaccinations.

Remember when bought and paid for research scientests and doctors working for tobacco companies said for decades there was no evidence it caused cancer? Perhaps you are not old enough to remember this. Think.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom