5 Crashes in one day | GTAMotorcycle.com

5 Crashes in one day

Not good but nothing unusual. Could just be down to a high percentage of motorcycle owners being on the road all at once, due to the nice weather.

What was that shifting on dudes bike?

Didn't know you could make a bike have a stick shift

He also has an illegally mounted plate and barely visible brake light

He also has an illegally mounted plate and barely visible brake light

Jeans...no gloves...open face brain bucket... Not a good spokesman for bike safety.

Clutch is left foot, no clutch lever on bars. Some old schoolers even ride with no front brake to have a completely clean handlebar with no levers. They couldn't have chosen a worse motorcycle spokesperson for the report.

Jeans...no gloves...open face brain bucket... Not a good spokesman for bike safety.
he can wear what he wants, but drivers still need to be more aware. most motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers. just sayin

Clutch is left foot, no clutch lever on bars. Some old schoolers even ride with no front brake to have a completely clean handlebar with no levers. They couldn't have chosen a worse motorcycle spokesperson for the report.

Some will take the clutch lever off the handlebars and mount it near the top of the shifter lever to actuate the clutch. Either way I don't get the attraction for the method. Hands should be on the bars whenever there is potential for momentum change, and a badly-done shift can make for a lot of momentum change.

he can wear what he wants, but drivers still need to be more aware. most motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers. just sayin

You sure about that? About half the crashes don't involve any other driver at all. The rest where another driver is involved goes about 50-50 fault, half the fault of the driver, half the fault of the rider.

It's never good news, but whether its the middle of the summer or early spring accidents are going happen. Most cage drivers don't even see a 3500pd car beside them let alone a motorcycle. Us as riders are just as guilty sometimes, going out early in the season with horrible cold roads and being rusty just because our winters are long and we have the itch.
I'm sure the stats are just the same in the summer.

You sure about that? About half the crashes don't involve any other driver at all. The rest where another driver is involved goes about 50-50 fault, half the fault of the driver, half the fault of the rider.
Yeah pretty sure based on the last stats i saw. But even 50% is too much.

Yeah pretty sure based on the last stats i saw. But even 50% is too much.

This quote comes from last year. "Police say the actions of other drivers are often the cause of the fatal motorcycle accidents and contributed to the accident in 50 of the last 175 fatal collisions." http://globalnews.ca/news/1519228/motorcycle-deaths-heading-for-7-year-high-in-ontario/

That statement implies that 125 out of 175 bike wrecks do not involved the actions of other drivers.

I don't know if it's that much of an anomaly. I had a girlfriend long ago that worked at Sunnybrook. They always called the first warm day of spring "motorcycle day" in the blood bank where she worked.

The police spokesman made a good point. The roads are cold and not cleaned off yet. As much as I have the itch, I'm in no hurry to get out there. We need some good rains and the street sweepers to make some passes first. Having an accident or a down is the last thing you want or need anytime. Hope all the riders are ok and i wish them a speedy recovery.

That's the way they used to come years and years ago. Google up suicide shifter.
also called a jockey shifter.
my buddy converted his sportster 48 (i think its a 2010-12 ish) to jockey shift and left foot clutch. the clutch takes a bit of getting use to, not something ide ever really want but the shifter is cool.

I'm in the middle of doing my clutch. If it's still too cold for me to drag the kids to the park then it's way too cold for me to ride. I don't need the coldness make my tires like a hockey puck mixed in the sand on the roads.

Rusty riders, rusty (new to the owner) bikes, tires in rusty conditions on those new bikes, NEW riders without training, cold weather/tires, sand, first rides of season with too much hype contribute the most, IMO.

Cagers require no further awareness strictly for motorcycles, but require more non-distracted driving and religiously following some of the essential road rules, i.e not stopping on a live lane on a highway to save ducks.

^^I agree with Mr. Dinch. Probably a lot of overzealous riders. I took her out on friday and it was perfect weather. I had 2 people do U-Turns on me on the way home. These are the things you have to expect when riding or driving.

Also what a terrible spokesperson. Shortie helmet with a bandana face covering. At least get somebody with a full face helmet. The bandana aint going to do sh1t when you crash and have you face scraped against the pavement.

Back
Top Bottom