The reason I sold my bike...lack of roads | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The reason I sold my bike...lack of roads

油井緋色;2289247 said:
....I've never seen Akira before =(

Wow are you serious!!?? Here you go man.. check it out.. its long though!

[video=youtube;zE7uaEhb8gs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7uaEhb8gs[/video]

Looks like it could be the 118W, 169 or 141.

Yeah I usually hang around that area.. :D Too early for the bike right now though..

Last edited:
There are many reasons most people (IMO) get into sport Bikes:
- They are lonely and think riding is cool and want to become part of some group.
- They rode dirt when younger and want to ride again but don't want to get a cruiser, or touring bike or scooter
- Their friends have a motorcycle so they feel pressure to follow
- They are social outcasts and think a sport bike will automatically make them cool. Ha

This is the reason why there is an ice cream meet on Mondays, a burrito meet on Tuesday, a nacho and miscellaneous meet on Wednesday, posing fest at L&L and KC on Thrusdays etc.
Nothing wrong with it but riding for most people is social, not a passion. I have dated girls that have more passion for riding than 90% posers at any meet.

So None of these reasons have anything to do with getting a performance machine so they can get into track riding. Very few people do.

^^ I'll disagree with you this time. Having owned ss bikes previously, I searched and searched and sat on everything. Checked all the offerings at a show and nothing else appeals to my taste like my little girls ss bike. A drz or something might be fun as a second bike but personally I'm not ready to not have a sport bike is all. I could care less what others think of it and I'm sure there's more people out there that are the same. Granted you're right the majority do it for bling factor or look at me attention at kc etc.

OP should consider Supermoto, or a cruiser, SS are no fun on the street....

^^disagree completely. Maybe not fun on a toronto street but out away from the city they're quite fun if you know what you're doing.

I've always been a sport bike rider and not really for any of the above "social" reasons. I appreciate the engineering behind them and I appreciate something that is designed to be good at something. I've ridden a few motards and similar ... dislike, they just feel wrong to me. Touring bikes ... far too heavy. Cruisers ... not good at anything. Standards ... meh. Obviously YMMV and everyone has their own opinions but those are mine!

I've always been a sport bike rider and not really for any of the above "social" reasons. I appreciate the engineering behind them and I appreciate something that is designed to be good at something. I've ridden a few motards and similar ... dislike, they just feel wrong to me. Touring bikes ... far too heavy. Cruisers ... not good at anything. Standards ... meh. Obviously YMMV and everyone has their own opinions but those are mine!

I bought my SS for mostly touring, go figure. I find myself riding longer distances to get the pure joy out of my bike, but it doesn't mean that I don't mind jumping on it to go and chill at the starbucks. They don't need to be mutually exclusive.

I bought my SS for mostly touring, go figure. I find myself riding longer distances to get the pure joy out of my bike, but it doesn't mean that I don't mind jumping on it to go and chill at the starbucks. They don't need to be mutually exclusive.
Excellent summary. I'd say the very same. I checked out all of the bikes in my class and chose mine based on comfort. The power difference between the ss bikes in the same class is minimal. They're all nuts fast but they can be good at other things than a racetrack depending on the rider.

油井緋色;2289295 said:
I'll admit I didn't get an SS bike for track riding...and frankly I don't know anyone who has. And I also go to those meets =D lol

My point was, why would you sell the bike before attempting to ride it in an environment it was made for? That's as stupid as buying a gaming computer and selling it before try to run the most graphically intensive game at max settings.

Mind you, I'm aware this mindset is tied to being a min-maxer so what I'm saying may come across as retarded itself.

Lol, wow

^^ I'll disagree with you this time. Having owned ss bikes previously, I searched and searched and sat on everything. Checked all the offerings at a show and nothing else appeals to my taste like my little girls ss bike. A drz or something might be fun as a second bike but personally I'm not ready to not have a sport bike is all. I could care less what others think of it and I'm sure there's more people out there that are the same. Granted you're right the majority do it for bling factor or look at me attention at kc etc.

^^disagree completely. Maybe not fun on a toronto street but out away from the city they're quite fun if you know what you're doing.

Quite fun within the speed limit ?
Quite fun without dragging knee around corners?
It's so boring riding street and I'm near the best roads , st Catherine's , Hamilton, blah balh, consequences for dragging knee, stunting,
50 over stunting,
Wheel off the ground stunting
See my point? Zx600 is right.ypu simply can't have fun on the street anymore without huge consequences

This used to be my signature, but Paulo didn't like it.

There are many reasons most people (IMO) get into sport Bikes:
- They are lonely and think riding is cool and want to become part of some group.
- They rode dirt when younger and want to ride again but don't want to get a cruiser, or touring bike or scooter
- Their friends have a motorcycle so they feel pressure to follow
- They are social outcasts and think a sport bike will automatically make them cool. Ha

This is the reason why there is an ice cream meet on Mondays, a burrito meet on Tuesday, a nacho and miscellaneous meet on Wednesday, posing fest at L&L and KC on Thrusdays etc.
Nothing wrong with it but riding for most people is social, not a passion. I have dated girls that have more passion for riding than 90% posers at any meet.

So None of these reasons have anything to do with getting a performance machine so they can get into track riding. Very few people do.
Lol posers gonna pose and haters gonna hate.

Ive posed at your local tim's, I've rode on track and ive taken long trips. All good times

Last edited:

Well first off I live in Toronto, not "away from the city" therefore I do most of my riding in Toronto, except maybe 2-3 times per season when I go for a long ride most of my rides are 2-3 hours of putting around here and there, the rest of the time I spend riding is either running errands, or riding to work sometimes, when I just stated riding and had an SS I was out almost every weekend discovering new roads "away from the city", that is no longer the case for me and alot of other people that have been riding for a long time.
Second if you think that riding in Ontario is "quite fun", you must be very easily entertained (in which case i'm jealous), between the stunt driving and 50 over laws all the "fun" had been sucked out of riding an SS in or out of the city.
lastly "if you know what you are doing" ??? i'm very sorry sir, please take a step back and let me bow to your superior skills .......

I say that in my opinion SM's and some cruisers are more fun in the city because I have owned and ridden SS, sport touring, supermoto, and a cruiser both in and out of the city and have come to that conclusion based on my personal experience, not from reading forums or reviews and humping bikes in dealerships I am willing to bet that most people who own SS bikes think they are uncomfortable, unpractical, and are a pain to ride on the street, but will never in a million years admit this to anyone.
Supermotos are fun as hell on the street but the 2 main reasons I don't have one anymore is because its very easy to get yourself in trouble with them, and they are useless on the highway.

SS riders - I have put on my flame suit .............come at me bro's

I don't know many things in life, but those weekends where the family are gone, and I work my tail off to finish the to-do list just so that I can do an overnight day+ ride in any direction, those are the days that I live for. Something something about soul-searching and becoming re-energized.

Fun is what you make it. You don't need to go to the track to enjoy a SS. I enjoy riding so much that I enjoy taking to the gas station.

In fact if I had the money to buy a Panigale I'd enjoy it just for the pleasure of ownership.

Is there something wrong with that?

I've ridden a SV650s and recently just got a GSXR-1000, and I must say I find the GSXR quite comfortable for what riding I've done with it so far (only had it a few weeks, and not many riding days as of yet). My SV was good as a first bike, and I don't knock anyone that has one, but the K6 GSXR is so stable, no vibration, lots of power when needed...or wanted. And whether I decide to track the bike in the future or not doesn't make it a useless bike on the road.

OP - Even after you sold your bike, you are still looking for excuses to validate your decision.

People ride for whatever reason, I ride an SS on the roads and I have dedicated track bike. Granted, I ride less on the roads than I did before but I will never give up street riding. They're both fun in their own ways.

I don't ride on the roads to go warp speed or drag knees at every corner. I enjoy the freedom, being able to take my girl out for a cruise and the occasional long distance ride up north with my close riding friends.

Well first off I live in Toronto, not "away from the city" therefore I do most of my riding in Toronto, except maybe 2-3 times per season when I go for a long ride most of my rides are 2-3 hours of putting around here and there, the rest of the time I spend riding is either running errands, or riding to work sometimes, when I just stated riding and had an SS I was out almost every weekend discovering new roads "away from the city", that is no longer the case for me and alot of other people that have been riding for a long time.
Second if you think that riding in Ontario is "quite fun", you must be very easily entertained (in which case i'm jealous), between the stunt driving and 50 over laws all the "fun" had been sucked out of riding an SS in or out of the city.
lastly "if you know what you are doing" ??? i'm very sorry sir, please take a step back and let me bow to your superior skills .......

I say that in my opinion SM's and some cruisers are more fun in the city because I have owned and ridden SS, sport touring, supermoto, and a cruiser both in and out of the city and have come to that conclusion based on my personal experience, not from reading forums or reviews and humping bikes in dealerships I am willing to bet that most people who own SS bikes think they are uncomfortable, unpractical, and are a pain to ride on the street, but will never in a million years admit this to anyone.
Supermotos are fun as hell on the street but the 2 main reasons I don't have one anymore is because its very easy to get yourself in trouble with them, and they are useless on the highway.

SS riders - I have put on my flame suit .............come at me bro's

Someone piss in your wheaties today kind sir? First of all, I never said anything about superior skills so take your attitude and stuff it. Second of all, a supermoto is ridiculously fun but requires a certain skill set to have that fun. Also as you said they're terrible on the highway and to get away from the gta to any fun roads pretty much requires highway. Being located in Toronto I wouldn't consider riding anything near as fun for a multiple of reasons. Mostly traffic, cops and crap roads. Sorry to hear riding away from the city is no longer on the agenda. I have friends there and the first thing we do is get out of there to ride.

Where I live outside of the gta the riding can be actually quite fun. Enough fun that all the city folks flock here on the weekends so that has to say something no? There are much better roads just to the south and over the border but a decent time can be had north of the gta. It's not about "easily amused" as you tried to insult. It's about knowing what time and a place means. I've been riding for a while and a lot every season. Haven't had a ticket in 17 years knock on wood yet I've had a grin on my face every time I've come home from a ride.

You're welcome to your opinion. I don't see why anyone would flame that at all. However assuming people who ride a ss are doing so uncomfortably and they're unpractical etc is just silly. Some are for sure but not all. What is it that you think it's unpractical. It has an engine and two wheels and does the same thing any other bike does on the lovely congested city roads. My only negative of mine in the city is the heat if it's stop and go traffic or rush hour but that would be the same on any bike.

Will that be all or is there anything else?

Wow can't we just all be happy for each other? Posers, adv riders,pirates, power ranger track riders, etc! In the end we're all bikers, it's not like there are a lot of us to begin with.

I feel like my bike is VERY comfortable. I literally sat on 50 different bikes at the show. Its an SS and I love it. I am just counting down the time until this weekend. I can sit on that thing for 8 hours no problem. BUT I am looking to upgrade the seat with a Saddlemen Gel-Channel seat if I can get someone to promise me fitment..

but but but.... they're all uncomfortable and none of us ss riders will admit it :rolleyes:

I'm considering a saddleman myself. I haven't seen anyone with one local.... I'm thinking it can't be bad and would help on my all day rides on my uncomfortable impractical shitbox
:agave:

Someone piss in your wheaties today kind sir? First of all, I never said anything about superior skills so take your attitude and stuff it. Second of all, a supermoto is ridiculously fun but requires a certain skill set to have that fun. Also as you said they're terrible on the highway and to get away from the gta to any fun roads pretty much requires highway. Being located in Toronto I wouldn't consider riding anything near as fun for a multiple of reasons. Mostly traffic, cops and crap roads. Sorry to hear riding away from the city is no longer on the agenda. I have friends there and the first thing we do is get out of there to ride.

Where I live outside of the gta the riding can be actually quite fun. Enough fun that all the city folks flock here on the weekends so that has to say something no? There are much better roads just to the south and over the border but a decent time can be had north of the gta. It's not about "easily amused" as you tried to insult. It's about knowing what time and a place means. I've been riding for a while and a lot every season. Haven't had a ticket in 17 years knock on wood yet I've had a grin on my face every time I've come home from a ride.

You're welcome to your opinion. I don't see why anyone would flame that at all. However assuming people who ride a ss are doing so uncomfortably and they're unpractical etc is just silly. Some are for sure but not all. What is it that you think it's unpractical. It has an engine and two wheels and does the same thing any other bike does on the lovely congested city roads. My only negative of mine in the city is the heat if it's stop and go traffic or rush hour but that would be the same on any bike.

Will that be all or is there anything else?

I had Cheerios, they were piss free and tasted quite well, thanks for asking. The last thing you said was "if you know what you're doing" which implies that those of us who don't have fun on an SS simply don't know what we are doing, and obviously you who has lots of fun, because you know what you are doing must have skills that are superior, I cant believe I had to spell that out......moving on
Riding a Supermoto in the city doesn't require any more skill than an SS, I THINK it is more fun because you can grab a handful of throttle coming out of a turn and the cop sitting on the other side of the intersection probably wont notice, you can also run it through the gears without risking loosing your license.
As far as my "easily amused" comment goes it was not an insult, and yes there are better roads south of the boarder, and up north but not all of us have the time to go there every weekend, and some of us do most of our riding where we live.
I used to ride SS and Sport touring for the first 7 years, and then I got tired of it because the riding position is not made for comfort, it is made for going fast around a race track, you are hard pressed to get it out of 2nd or 3rd gear unless you are on the highway, you have to get it up to at least 7-8 thousand RPM before it starts doing what you want it to do, and once its there you are already in "stunt driving" territory, that is what I mean by impractical.

that will be all for now, carry on

Back
Top Bottom