The reason I sold my bike...lack of roads | GTAMotorcycle.com

The reason I sold my bike...lack of roads

Leviathan

While safety has always been a concern, one of the primary reasons for selling off my bikes is the lack of fun roads to drive. Sure forks of the credit is a good road, but its always a mission to get to. It seems like these days more and more bikers are just getting into it in order to cruise up and down yonge street in first gear hitting the limiter.

What are some of the roads you like to explore?

I still drive through rosedale valley road, bay view, and pottery road. But I rarely ever see bikes there.

The reason I lurk around the forum, is simply because I miss being connected to motorbikes.

In the past I have had a Ninja 250, Yamaha R6, and Ducati 848 Evo.

Also wish we had better biking roads closer to us.

Have not been to the forks in 5 years but still enjoy riding.

Have you considered getting a sports touring or dual sports bike as the decent roads are at least an hour or 2 away from the city.
I do most of my riding on a few 4 to 7 day bike trips and roads in PA, WV, VA and Ohio are not that far away.

If you want to stick with an SS bike, go to the track or get up early on the weekend and head out of town and enjoy the roads in Muskoka or Haliburton.

Pennsylvania and NY state are where I ride the most. I'm a bit closer, so it's a bit easier for me than most from the GTA, but there's no comparison to what just a bit south. I do half my riding there, GTA and immediate area is not great riding.

GTA used to have twisty roads, but they've all been straightened by now.

I like the 500 series of roads myself.

I got bored of regular riding for much the same reason after 10 years. Always seeing the same things etc.

The eastern US has plenty to explore. Eastern Ontario and parts of Quebec also, if you don't want to cross the border. Or go north.

Even southern Ontario has some ... not many, but there are some. None worth riding are within Toronto's boundaries, though.

While safety has always been a concern, one of the primary reasons for selling off my bikes is the lack of fun roads to drive. Sure forks of the credit is a good road, but its always a mission to get to. It seems like these days more and more bikers are just getting into it in order to cruise up and down yonge street in first gear hitting the limiter.

What are some of the roads you like to explore?

I still drive through rosedale valley road, bay view, and pottery road. But I rarely ever see bikes there.

The reason I lurk around the forum, is simply because I miss being connected to motorbikes.

In the past I have had a Ninja 250, Yamaha R6, and Ducati 848 Evo.
If you had an R6 and an 848 and you think Forks is a good road and was a "mission to get to" and you mention rosedale valley road, bay view, and pottery road as examples of roads you miss then you were in the wrong sport

3 hr ride and you are into some really good roads ins Pennsylvania, there are also some decent roads up in Muskoka but it actually takes riding to get there.

Last edited:
I heard about the forks for several years before I went. What a let down, nice curves, great scenery, lined with cars, people, cops. And only 10 minutes long. Great road.

I heard about the forks for several years before I went. What a let down, nice curves, great scenery, lined with cars, people, cops. And only 10 minutes long. Great road.

My wife made a similar comparison about our sex life. But subtract about 9 minutes ?

I find great new roads every season....just need to go a little further every now and then. But there again...I am 2h east of you lot.

I agree. OP seems to lack passion. If you truly enjoy riding you would go out of your way and find adventure.

3 hr drive and you are into some really good roads ins Pennsylvania, there are also some decent roads up in Muskoka but it actually takes riding to get there.

Sport bikes are not a great tool for Ontario now that they are so focused. Try a adv or sport touring bike and it becomes so much better, most of the handling and all day comfortable.

sent from a device using a program

My wife made a similar comparison about our sex life. But subtract about 9 minutes ?

Nice curves, great scenery, lined with cars, people, and cops? Boom chicka wa wa!

A smaller dual sport (250cc) is pretty ideal too. They're cheap to buy and cheap to run (insurance, gas, parts). I've had more fun doing the dual sport/trail riding stuff than any other riding. Highly recommend it. We have an incredible trail system just north of the city in Simcoe county and Ganaraska is great as well.

It's only good though if you live at the edges of Toronto where you can go (ideally) east or north quickly. If you live downtown, it won't help.

I agree that the sport touring is the way to go. Comfortable position and a larger fuel tank gets me to nice roads 2-3h away. There are better roads in the States and I try to go twice a year.
Super sports are designed for racing on the track and while some people tour on them, I find it hard on the body.

To explore even more I have just acquired a dual sport bike so I can hit gravel and some more gentle trails, can't wait!

The closest area I consider to have good riding roads is Muskoka, a good 2 hours away.

Skiddies - check
Power wheelies - check
Stop sign to stop sign racing - check
Ramps - check
Therapeutic benefits - check
Riding roads - unchecked

Conclusion: not selling the bike :)

I take trips to roads that are fun like everyone else. I actually enjoy riding so much the slab doesn't bother me either..

Back
Top Bottom