Interested in Bike 1.5 hrs away. Transport ideas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interested in Bike 1.5 hrs away. Transport ideas?

OmegaBravo7

I saw a bike I'd like to purchase but...

any ideas how to transfer a bike from Peterborough to Etobicoke? I got an estimate from a bike transporter who quoted me $2.00 per km + $75 to hook up bike. It's 140 km, so total would be about $355. Personally, I thought it was a bit excessive, but I have no experience in this nor do I know of an alternate method.

Any ideas bros?

I'm not being sarcastic here: Why not ride it? 1.5 hrs even on the SS bikes isn't that bad... And the weather is often good enough now.

$355 sounds like a lot of money...

I saw a bike I'd like to purchase but...

any ideas how to transfer a bike from Peterborough to Etobicoke? I got an estimate from a bike transporter who quoted me $2.00 per km + $75 to hook up bike. It's 140 km, so total would be about $355. Personally, I thought it was a bit excessive, but I have no experience in this nor do I know of an alternate method.

Any ideas bros?

I am sure there are a few guys on the site who provide the service. Try infernobuster or moto limo or just rent a cargo van and toss the bike in the back or if you have a hitch rent a motorcycle trailer from uhaul $20 day.

Get CAA PLUS. It cost $114 plus tax per year and you get four tows up to 200kms

You can rent a u-haul panel van or pickup for about $80, that includes 100 km (long distance deal not the 19.99 deal). It is about 20¢ per km after that for that deal. Add fuel and taxes and you are in the $200 range.

Make sure you have all the tie downs you will need and something for a ramp, I just use wood.

Get CAA PLUS. It cost $114 plus tax per year and you get four tows up to 200kms

Best way, but you do have to be a little sneaky. CAA will only tow vehicles that are plated, insured, and need to be transported for reasons other than "I just bought it". If you have a plate with a valid sticker, or borrow one from a friend, toss it on the bike, disconnect the battery and call up CAA.

You can rent a u-haul panel van or pickup for about $80, that includes 100 km (long distance deal not the 19.99 deal). It is about 20¢ per km after that for that deal. Add fuel and taxes and you are in the $200 range.

Make sure you have all the tie downs you will need and something for a ramp, I just use wood.

Uhaul actually rents out bike specific trailers for something cheap like $25/day, http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/. Just need to find/borrow a vehicle with a trailer hitch

There's also the ubiquitous friend with a pickup technique

Last edited:
I will charge you 250 to ride it home for you.
Saying that, we will have to get a temporary permit and you insure it.

but dont be a cheap bastard, let them name their price and just pay it.

I have always owned a pickup and hate people that haggle

Last edited:
Thnx for the awesome ideas everyone. Can't ride myself for the time being - bad elbow.

Best way, but you do have to be a little sneaky. CAA will only tow vehicles that are plated, insured, and need to be transported for reasons other than "I just bought it". If you have a plate with a valid sticker, or borrow one from a friend, toss it on the bike, disconnect the battery and call up CAA.

Uhaul actually rents out bike specific trailers for something cheap like $25/day, http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/. Just need to find/borrow a vehicle with a trailer hitch

I have an expedition with a trailer hitch on the back, that's all I need?

Rent a uhaul trailor, when are you going to pick it up?

I have an expedition with a trailer hitch on the back, that's all I need?

I've never rented one, but I assume you'll be ok with the trailer and some tie straps. I'm sure the U-Haul guys can help you hook it up.

Will ride it back for $150 :p

Also, another option would be to rent a pick up truck ($100ish depending on what discounts you qualify for), buy straps ($25), get a ramp and drive it back. I just did that for a buddy of mine last week, we picked up the bike from North Bay.

Your best move is renting a trailer from uhaul. As low as $22 tax in.
Find someone with a car that has a trailer hitch and pay his/her gas.
For about $60 u can get your bike home.

I drove to Barrie to look at a bike, ended up buying it. Called the nearest U-Haul dealer near the seller's house and brought the bike home the same day.

You already have a truck, all you need is a 1 7/8th or 2" receiver/ball, the U-Haul guys will help you attach it.

You'd be crazy if you paid someone any amount of $ to ride it back for you.

I will ride it back for you for a coffee...no worries I am not greedy like others on here! Beat that noobs!

Back
Top Bottom