Uber | GTAMotorcycle.com

Uber

Love uber.

How about from an insurance viewpoint? Would the driver of said vehicle need different coverage? I've only recently started following this news so I haven't fully explored the business model.

How about from an insurance viewpoint? Would the driver of said vehicle need different coverage? I've only recently started following this news so I haven't fully explored the business model.

Uber X is the sticky point. Regular uber guys are set up properly already

They assert that Uber provides the services of a taxi company without complying with the licenses and regulations that govern that industry.

...and thats why municipalities and cities don't like Uber. Lots of $$$ from all the taxi permits, licences and regulations that have to be paid annually.

Pretty sure the drivers love Uber as they get paid more...it's the ******** with the taxi licences that don't as it disrupts their cushy little monopoly. I used it recently, it was great, the ride cost me nothing too as I used a promo code!

It's not on blackberry...?
9ee7aa672ee4fb0476476d7159ffff2f.jpg

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using Tapatalk

I love them
far cheaper than cabs
nicer/newer cars
drivers way nicer and courteous

city and cabbies/cab companies complaining cause it's direct competition against them and the service/

insurance for what? As long as your not hurt who cares...unlikely in toronto traffic anyways. You get out of the car and walk away.

But the day you are injured and find out that the driver's insurance will not cover him or you because he does not carry a commercial insurance policy who will be screaming bloody murder then. There is a reason taxis have to carry proper insurance to protect the passengers. Uber seems to feel that they are exempt from that little detail!

I love them
far cheaper than cabs
nicer/newer cars
drivers way nicer and courteous

city and cabbies/cab companies complaining cause it's direct competition against them and the service/

insurance for what? As long as your not hurt who cares...unlikely in toronto traffic anyways. You get out of the car and walk away.

While I agree with your post and the premise behind it, I do believe that Uber has the potential to make a case for themselves as a "social networking" type of application as opposed to a car service.

How long do you have to know someone before you're allowed to give them an "insured" ride in your own personal vehicle? What if you go to your first day of College/University and meet a classmate who happens to mention they're taking the bus home, so you offer them a ride? Would they not be insured? Of course they would.... well, what if you met on a phone app? What if you met on a phone app, say 5 minutes before you were in an accident instead of 5 hours?? Where is the line drawn?

Most people would apply common sense to that point, as I am sure that's what you are doing... but I do think Uber at least has a shot at being off the hook in terms of insurance.

But the day you are injured and find out that the driver's insurance will not cover him or you because he does not carry a commercial insurance policy who will be screaming bloody murder then. There is a reason taxis have to carry proper insurance to protect the passengers. Uber seems to feel that they are exempt from that little detail!

The difference is the ride is being provided for $ compensation hence the difference between offering someone a ride and offering a ride and being paid to do so.
While I agree with your post and the premise behind it, I do believe that Uber has the potential to make a case for themselves as a "social networking" type of application as opposed to a car service.

How long do you have to know someone before you're allowed to give them an "insured" ride in your own personal vehicle? What if you go to your first day of College/University and meet a classmate who happens to mention they're taking the bus home, so you offer them a ride? Would they not be insured? Of course they would.... well, what if you met on a phone app? What if you met on a phone app, say 5 minutes before you were in an accident instead of 5 hours?? Where is the line drawn?

Most people would apply common sense to that point, as I am sure that's what you are doing... but I do think Uber at least has a shot at being off the hook in terms of insurance.

The difference is the ride is being provided for $ compensation hence the difference between offering someone a ride and offering a ride and being paid to do so.
So if you offer me a ride somewhere and I offer to pay you some $ for fuel isn't that exactly the same thing? There's a lot of in the middle areas with this issue and I see uber coming out on top.

So if you offer me a ride somewhere and I offer to pay you some $ for fuel isn't that exactly the same thing? There's a lot of in the middle areas with this issue and I see uber coming out on top.

Yeah, no kidding.. He had me stumped there for a second, until "***, Gas or Grass... Nobody rides for free." stickers come into the mix!!

So with a taxi you call or use an app to summon a driver and car to pick you up. At the end of the ride you pay for the fare.

With Uber you use an app to summon a driver and a car. At the end of the ride you pay for the fare.

How is Uber different from a taxi? And don't go into semantics about Uber being a social networking site yadayada.

Something else to ponder. Taxi prices are regulated by the city they operate in. They can not charge more than the set rates by their city. Uber under their system does not have any regulation. If allowed to continue as they operate now and with the end goal to put regular taxi's out of business. Once they become the major and or only option because taxis will become extinct in their business model. Do you not think that you will see prices rise as they gain a greater foothold? The consumer will end up with having to pay their prices as they see fit since according to Uber they do not have to follow a cities taxi regulations and do not have to abide by the regulated pricing taxis are subjected to although they are providing the same service just not following any of the regulations created to protect the consumer.

Look up surge pricing with Uber!

Uber also does not have any regulations to provide wheelchair or disabled taxi services. Most cities require taxi companies to operate at least some portion of their fleet (at a huge expense) wheelchair accessible vehicles. Yet again something Uber will never offer or provide.

Last edited:
Would the fact that there are no funds exchanged between the passenger and the driver have any effect on the situation? I mean obviously there are tons of parallels to be drawn between this and a real taxi service.. I am only interested in it as I find the whole relationship between a city, a person that wants to drive, and the lack of available taxi cab licenses to be quite an interesting topic.. definitely on your side for the big picture, but still interested in doing it myself. :D

So with a taxi you call or use an app to summon a driver and car to pick you up. At the end of the ride you pay for the fare.

With Uber you use an app to summon a driver and a car. At the end of the ride you pay for the fare.

How is Uber different from a taxi? And don't go into semantics about Uber being a social networking site yadayada.

Back
Top Bottom