Who wants to do Old Nipissing Road? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who wants to do Old Nipissing Road?

I'd probably be in. Another fun one I've done is the "park to park" trail, 230 km from parry sound to Algonquin.
We're you thinking of a day trip, or ride, sleep, ride back?
Either way, I'm subscribed.

If you are doing this as a day trip, then it all depends on how long you want to be riding that day for. I used to take a typical Muskoka twisty paved route to get there and then do the same coming home. Makes for about a 10 hr day. If you can ride a bit longer or spend a night up there, then there are some fun gravel roads up that way that could make for great riding http://goo.gl/maps/5oTxm. I know someone who has a place right on Old Nipissing Road who might be open to letting us pitch a tent on his grass if it ever came down to it, though keeping the bulk down is more fun.

I would be in. I'd be on the Strom and not sure what tires I would be running. I have been on the section between the 518 and Magnetewan many times and it's a good ride. I have been told that the very north section near Commanda gets very rough and tight - maybe too tight for bigger dual sports.

That park to park trail looks like fun too.

I'd like to join this ride but I think that weekend I need to be at work. Also not sure what weather/road conditions would be like up there in April considering the winter that never ends is here...

FYI - for those that don't know or didn't click the original link- Old Nipissing Road is a mixed surface road of hard-packed gravel, dirt and paved sections. In some parts it's quite hilly and twisty and in others it's only passable by foot or mountain bike. There are paved detours to relink up with wider sections of the road. The route that is doable by motorbike is awesome and I think it looks something like: http://goo.gl/maps/dmqcB

I was on a small section of the road, north of 518, to see the old cemeteries of Dufferin Bridge. The road is very interesting with lots of history.

I'm on a versys 650 with street tires. I may have to bypass the "goat path" sections, but gravel doesn't bother me any.
Might look into different tires but doubt I'll have them before this ride.

My intention was day only and nothing that would require a true dirt bike. Was gonna bypass all the tough sections. I have zero experience on gravel and dirt. Did 300km on the KLR on Friday though and was comfortable on it but that was all pavement with my sport bike group.

As for which weekend, it's a bit weather related. I want to enjoy the ride so would like double digits.

Longer routes, connecting to Algonquin and with overnight stays - we could definitely work on that for later in the season. I just wanted a ride to feel out who wants to participate and to start the season with.

Sounds good. I'm in, most Fridays are out for me due to work, but Saturdays work well.

I'd be in for this ride, but like Iceman most Fridays would also be out for me.

Considering it is just a one day ride, I'd also suggest not mucking about looking for gravel South of Barrie... just take the 400 and get it over with to get up there, then there will be more time to explore.

Hey Mike, knew you'd be along shortly. Lol
Looks like a good crew, should be a fun day.

May is a good time - earlier than that and it would probably be wet and or cold.

That road has gravel on it and dirt, so most riders would shy away from it - probably why it got moved here - even though I have been on it many times with my street tires.

This rides looking better by the hour. :)

May is a good time - earlier than that and it would probably be wet and or cold.

That road has gravel on it and dirt, so most riders would shy away from it - probably why it got moved here - even though I have been on it many times with my street tires.

Yeah, I'm not going to cry about it any more, just confirms my belief in the need for a Dual Sport/Adventure forum but I guess not enough people here was the argument.

May it is. I'll post it in the ride section when we decide on a date.

Back
Top Bottom