Rusty water, again... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rusty water, again...

doozerdave

Site Supporter
Hi folks.

We've had this discussion before but I want to open it up again as I don't know what to do. For the last 2 seasons I've flushed my coolant system multiple times using 8-16 litres of distilled water each time. I just finished the pre-season flush and the water that came out was nasty brown again with some crust flakes in it... I can't figure the cause, unless, as was mentioned before, there is a steel section of pipe that is rusting. I just filled it with only water, no Water Wetter, and will flush it again after the first track day to see how it looks. Any ideas of the cause or what to do to stop it from happening?

Thanks.

Try using De ionized water instead of distilled CT has it and it is less likely to leach metals than distilled.

My (and others) old R6 coolant system water is always brown no matter how many flushes. Meh.

Although more of a pain come spring, I put antifreeze in in the fall into my '07
Not for the freezing factor because it is stored in a heated space, but because it sits so long I use antifreeze for the corrosion inhibitors. May be worth trying next year.

Thanks eel, I'll check for steel pipes.

According to Redline, Water Wetter has excellent corrosion inhibitors. Not so far as I can see...

CBR water had a lot of brown in it this year, more than previous years. Initial drain was fine, wasn't until the thermostat opened until it came through though, which suggests theres probably crap coming from after the thermostat. First time I've seen it. Took a full 12L to get it out, and it only did 8-9 track days last year.

I poked around with a magnet and sure enough there's a steel T pipe. Thanks for the reminder, eel. Now to find a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom