Badge waver... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Badge waver...

Bike Cop

I stopped another cop today, simple offence - no front plate. I got tinned. I asked where the front plate was, and got tinned again. I told the driver that I saw the badge, and asked the question again. The driver said that the dealership didn't put the plate on. I asked for the driver's documents, and told them to put the badge away. I read the ownership and saw that the vehicle was plated almost 3 years ago, and was registered to the driver. I told the driver that in almost 3 years they had not put a licence plate on the front, and the driver got very agitated with me and said, "I know how old my car is".

I asked, "Do you intend to put a licence plate on the front of your car?". The response was, "Well... maybe... one day".

I returned to my car and wrote the ticket. I served the ticket and was told "I hope you write some GOOD tickets today". I told the officer that the answer to the question should have been a simple yes. The officer then tried to downplay the value of traffic enforcement, since their job in criminal investigations was much more important than mine.

I don't feel good about charging other officers. Not because I'm not supposed to, or because of some thin blue line nonsense, but because they really ought to know better.

Yes, you have a badge. Yes I saw it. Even though you kept waving it at me like some rookie cop, you still get the ticket for this one.

Like most people, I don't like getting hassled when I'm doing my job. But being hassled by someone who is supposed to understand what I have to do, is totally uncalled for.

See you in court.

Say it like it is...fair and honorable

It's a combination of "power corrupts" and the development of an "us against them" attitude (with "them" being us civilians), that results in some cops losing their way.

Yesterday on the evening news there was a cell phone video shot by a cab passenger, of a cop chewing out a taxi driver for having honked his horn at the cop's unmarked car. Totally unprofessional and all inflated ego.

It's similar to the entitled senator complaining about cold Camembert cheese and broken crackers for an airplane breakfast.

Both have created a reality for themselves that doesn't jive with that of ordinary people.

Last time I checked officers and other public officials have to play by the same rules as the rest of us. What kind of car? That might have been the deciding factor for me, if it was an Audi i would have wrote the ticket for sure lol

Now start busting them for not wearing seat belts when in Police cars.
They give us tickets for not wearing them, and give us tickets for doing exactly what they do.

How about handing out DUI tickets to every last one of them?

How about busting them for talking to the girlfriend on the phone when driving, that is not official business.

How about giving them tickets for typing on the computer while driving?

Would it be legal for me to be using a lap top and talking on my phone at the same time in my car?????

How about handing out DUI tickets to every last one of them?

+1000000 with the "office" I know this I the one thing they all protect each other on. Too many have no issue driving intoxicated. Inexcusable.

Probably mirroring the response he gets from the members of the public that he deals with daily.

He should still try to rise above that, and show some respect for the people upholding the law.

thanks.

Thank you for doing the right thing, even for a small thing like this.

I've had one "fix-it" ticket in the past (failed headlight relay resulting in no headlight - daytime on bike, but still required by law), which got tossed upon me presenting evidence that it was fixed. I'm guessing and hoping that had the cop answered "yes" and actually installed his front plate, the same would have happened, but now that he presented attitude, all bets are off?

Interesting to see how little the police like being treated like the rest of us. That and the badge flashing speaks volumes. Wonder if it will even reach the courthouse.

It's a combination of "power corrupts" and the development of an "us against them" attitude (with "them" being us civilians), that results in some cops losing their way.

Yesterday on the evening news there was a cell phone video shot by a cab passenger, of a cop chewing out a taxi driver for having honked his horn at the cop's unmarked car. Totally unprofessional and all inflated ego.

It's similar to the entitled senator complaining about cold Camembert cheese and broken crackers for an airplane breakfast.

Both have created a reality for themselves that doesn't jive with that of ordinary people.

It's not surprising when I look back at some of my peers in high school who were planning to become cops. They were all short tempered narcissistic bullies of varying degrees, who obviously dreamed of either having the authority to push people around with little to no repercussions (paid vacation) or being praised as some sort of 'hero' like in the movies. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them being within 10 yards of an empty bb-gun, let alone carrying a loaded real gun all day.

The perks of the job make it easy to see why it attracts so many candidates who are quite frankly, unfit to bear that kind of responsibility. It's unfortunate that good cops can't really do much about it without crossing 'the blue line' and risking their livelihood in the process.

Thank you for doing the right thing, even for a small thing like this.

I've had one "fix-it" ticket in the past (failed headlight relay resulting in no headlight - daytime on bike, but still required by law), which got tossed upon me presenting evidence that it was fixed. I'm guessing and hoping that had the cop answered "yes" and actually installed his front plate, the same would have happened, but now that he presented attitude, all bets are off?

Realistically I would think you would have a hard time convincing the prosecutor it was worth the effort

Realistically I would think you would have a hard time convincing the prosecutor it was worth the effort

In our courts in Barrie, all charges are treated as equal until there is only limited trial time. Then the prosecutor will consider which one they want to use the trial time for. I haven't seen this done in Barrie in quite a while. Generally speaking there is enough time to deal with everything.

With regard to the DUI issue, in my organization that is a no fly zone - if you find an officer driving while impaired or over 80, either they get charged or you get charged with neglect of duty. It's that simple.

The other charges; keyboard on computer, talking on cell phone, etc. all fall under the distracted driving law where emergency services are exempt. I can't prove that the officer was on with his supervisor or his wife. But you can bet if there is a collision, our team will investigate and find out who was on the other end of the phone. Charges will result if they do not fit the exemption.

It's not surprising when I look back at some of my peers in high school who were planning to become cops. They were all short tempered narcissistic bullies of varying degrees, who obviously dreamed of either having the authority to push people around with little to no repercussions (paid vacation) or being praised as some sort of 'hero' like in the movies. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them being within 10 yards of an empty bb-gun, let alone carrying a loaded real gun all day.

The perks of the job make it easy to see why it attracts so many candidates who are quite frankly, unfit to bear that kind of responsibility. It's unfortunate that good cops can't really do much about it without crossing 'the blue line' and risking their livelihood in the process.

The system filters out the bad ones with the very few exceptions. A friend's son in law was a cop and was caught DUI by his buddy's a couple of times. They saw him safely home until the third time and he was advised that they weren't putting themselves on the line for him any more. He found another career.

The biggest problem with policing is meddling by politicians. Policing for profit and political correctness erode common sense.

Clog the courts with a no frt licence plate ticket...good job. Ridiculous waste of time and money, plus you post on here gloating about it like the roads will be safer.

I'm aware of several incidents in Peel and Metro where family members of Officers were let off for simply showing the officer's business card to the officer who'd stopped them! I asked a friend of mine about this practice and he told me he loves to rip up those business cards and personally telephones the officer to chew them out for doing something so stupid...one of the reasons we moved to Canada, over 20 years ago, was the belief that the "system" applied equally to everyone and no one is above it...I'm very pleased to read your account.

Cheers!

The other charges; keyboard on computer, talking on cell phone, etc. all fall under the distracted driving law where emergency services are exempt. I can't prove that the officer was on with his supervisor or his wife. But you can bet if there is a collision, our team will investigate and find out who was on the other end of the phone. Charges will result if they do not fit the exemption.

I see 2-3 cops a week driving down the road checking Facebook. I was not aware that was part of a patrol officers regular duties. There is no mistaking that large blue banner. You can see it from a mile a way. Of course to be entirely fair I see at least 50 civilians doing it also.

But thank you for doing the job that the public has entrusted you to do and is paying for. Now try to do something to get these jerk off's out of the passing lane.

Clog the courts with a no frt licence plate ticket...good job. Ridiculous waste of time and money, plus you post on here gloating about it like the roads will be safer.

I had a bull bar on my Edge for a few years. Hamilton cops never seemed to care that the front plate was partially obstructed.

When I moved to London I got pulled over twice in the first month for it. The 1st guy took a closer look and changed his mind, he thought it was ok. The 2nd officer was a dick. Yes, Im sure the roads are a safer place with my front plate being fully visible.

Back
Top Bottom