terrifying squealing noise coming from bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

terrifying squealing noise coming from bike

Matty8

Wednesday I took my bike out for the second time this year. It was about 0 degrees when I left, everything was fine. I parked it for a few hours and then headed home at about -4 degrees.
After a couple minutes of riding I heard a constant high pitch squeal/whine coming from my bike. If I recall I had just finished giving it some throttle and I noticed it when I was easing off. Really hard to say where it was coming from but probably the mid/front half. It was quite loud, anyone I was passing would have most likely heard it. I pulled the clutch in and it kept going at the exact same pitch. I Started braking and it continued for a long time, all the way down to 30-40km/h, then changed pitch once and about a second after cut out completely once I slowed down enough. I started up again slowly and it was ok but once I picked up speed (60km/h?) it started again. So I pulled over and rode around for a minute on an empty street and it was fine at low speeds. Didn't happen again for the rest of my 15 minutes ride, although I was taking it really easy.

I know its a pretty vague description, but any ideas what it could possibly be? I rode one other time this year in slightly colder weather and I never heard this. The bike is a 2012 Ninja 250, it has < 4000km on it. Weather is beautiful today so I won't to take it out, but I don't want to cause any damage.

UPDATE: On second though I'm not 100% sure if it was a constant pitch all the way through 80-30km/h, it may have fluctuated slowly. But I do know it wasn't changing pitch in relation to the engine speed.

SOLVED (thanks to fiddleguy): http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ng-from-bike&p=2288039&viewfull=1#post2288039

Last edited:
The Ninja 250 has a gas tank that's notorious for whistling when you get temperature change. I don't remember mine lasting for that long though. If it happens again, try popping the gas cap and closing it again.

The Ninja 250 has a gas tank that's notorious for whistling when you get temperature change. I don't remember mine lasting for that long though. If it happens again, try popping the gas cap and closing it again.

Nah, I know that sound, and this was different and louder. I'm pretty sure it was caused by something moving fast and rubbing. Possibly the front wheel, or some type of fan/belt?

The good news is it didn't happen today.

When was the last time you lubed the chain? You've owned it since new? How's the oil level? Where abouts are you located?

some type of fan/belt?
No belts on the Ninja 250 and just the one radiator fan. It's not likely the fan was spinning while you were out riding.

Last edited:
When was the last time you lubed the chain? You've owned it since new? How's the oil level? Where abouts are you located?

No belts on the Ninja 250 and just the one radiator fan. It's not likely the fan was spinning while you were out riding.

Lubed the chain a couple weeks ago (~100km ago).
I've owned it since last year, with 80km on it.
Oil level could use a little bit more, its about half way between the bottom and top markers.
I'm in Ottawa.

Lubed the chain a couple weeks ago (~100km ago).
I've owned it since last year, with 80km on it.
Oil level could use a little bit more, its about half way between the bottom and top markers.
I'm in Ottawa.
Good stuff. Hopefully either it never comes back, or you figure out what it is/was. Good luck!

Speedo cable

I love you man, you were spot on. :p

I even found this video of someone experiencing the exact same thing. That is exactly what I heard. His situation and description of the whole thing is eerily similar to mine as well. Quote from his description:

The engine was warmed up before I left the parking lot. The weather is cold. After reaching the 60-80 kph the weird sound/noise surprised me. I noticed when I press the clutch the engine continue to run on idle speed regularly although the noise goes with the speed, as the speed lowers below 60-50 kph the sound/noise dissapears.

[video=youtube;q1EsUboS36M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1EsUboS36M[/video]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom