Yamaha FZ6R as beginner bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha FZ6R as beginner bike

owl

Site Supporter
Hi guys,

I found a webpage

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...2709-advice-naked-or-faired-for-a-first-bike/

where mentioned Yamaha Fazer 600 as beginner bike , since it failed new emission standard. Yamaha made FZ6R based on Fazer 600.

Some say FZ6R still a good bike to begin with. comfort riding position, insurance-wise is good too?

what I know is that it has a in-line four cylinders engine comparing to 2 cylinder, which gives it a more manageable way to delivery power.(linear acceleration ?)

Unfortunately Yamaha FZ6R does not equip with ABS in North America. it is a option for EU model.

I want to know what do you guys think about this bike and if it is a good bike to begin with

For your reference,
  • I have time to practice before highway riding.
  • I will travel about 100 km on 401 one-way with 6-8 kg baggages.
  • I like to have some track runs

Thanks

Update:
I made up my mind to buy a FZ6R.
this or next year, depends on insurance :D
thanks again for all replies

Last edited:
It's a good beginner/intermediate bike.

What you have to remember, is that there is the FZ6 and FZ6R. These bikes share a name only.

The FZ6 doesn't have a lower fairing, has an undertail exhaust and roughly 90hp.
The FZ6R has a fairing, softer suspension, lower seat and roughly 50-55hp.

Both are good bikes and both will serve you well.

Call around for insurance quotes before you purchase anything as you could be in for a surprise.

It's a good beginner/intermediate bike.

What you have to remember, is that there is the FZ6 and FZ6R. These bikes share a name only.

The FZ6 doesn't have a lower fairing, has an undertail exhaust and roughly 90hp.
The FZ6R has a fairing, softer suspension, lower seat and roughly 50-55hp.

Both are good bikes and both will serve you well.

Call around for insurance quotes before you purchase anything as you could be in for a surprise.

And that pretty much covers it...
Next! Lol

actually, manufacturer specs on it are 78 horsepower and imho, it's a great bike...I have a 2010 model and absolutely love, love, love it...the upright position is super comfortable on long rides (can easily go 500+ km in a day)...fuel mileage is not bad (hit 300 km on one tank)...top speed is up there (not cbr600rr up there, but way more than you'll ever use around here)...cornering is steady (mind you, I'm not a knee dragger though)...a bit top heavy especially once fueled up, but a great bike all around...I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to any one looking to ride...

actually, manufacturer specs on it are 78 horsepower and imho, it's a great bike...I have a 2010 model and absolutely love, love, love it...the upright position is super comfortable on long rides (can easily go 500+ km in a day)...fuel mileage is not bad (hit 300 km on one tank)...top speed is up there (not cbr600rr up there, but way more than you'll ever use around here)...cornering is steady (mind you, I'm not a knee dragger though)...a bit top heavy especially once fueled up, but a great bike all around...I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to any one looking to ride...

that's at the crank. What makes it to the wheel is different.

It's a nice, every day all around kind of bike but it's not extraordinary at any one thing. Jack of all trades. I'd say it's the Accord or Camry of motorcycles.

I ride one and it's a very good intermediate bike. Not sure about "beginner" since that term varies per individual nowadays. I rode to Algonquin Park from Scarborough and back the same day. Was pretty much on it all day (stopped only to eat,washroom break and take pics). the 160 rear tire makes it very easy to "flick" around whichs gives the top heavy feeling. biggest downside is the lack of available aftermarket parts especially exhaust so if you're looking to do some mods, do some research first. Other than that, I love my FZ6R.

I replaced my FZ6R late last season. Loved the bike. Not too heavy and the riding position is great for long distances.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I got myself an FZ6R last year as a beginner bike (actually I've ridden before but long enough ago to consider myself a noob again.). I think the bike is perfect for me. Not too small yet not too powerful with a funky powerband that some bikes have. I would highly recommend it.

As a matter of fact, I plan on taking it across the U.S. Next summer.

Love mine. Comfy and perfect for long distances. It utilizes a detuned version of the 03-05 year r6 so it sounds amazing too.

I have a 2011 and it was my first bike. It was a little intimidating at first but I just took it easy and practiced in a big empty parking lot.

It's a comfortable ride and have done many road trips even with a passenger. I think it's a great beginner to intermediate sport touring bike. I think changing the exhaust is a must as the stock one is way too quiet. The TBR exhaust with the quietest silencer sounds best to me.

Tg8oSTXcEImZnTviWuBtC7X4Zh-gWOCRpI87Q7xhyWk

love to see so many positive feedbacks on this bike, I had my insurance quote, it is a "wow" ... with $3600 from rider plus.
I will keep looking

How old are you owl? Riders Plus are only good for over 25. Check with TD.

I'm 24 and half, less than 6 month to 25 :-(
And I will have 5 years from G1 to G next year too
guessing this is a tricky time to have a bike.

I'm thinking about Aviva, anyone had experience with them?

Last edited:
I'm same age as you. I pay $2200/yr for my FZ6R with TD, with one ticket and one claim.

I had a FZ6R as my first bike 2 years ago.
Great beginner bike, I put a full Two Brothers exhaust and some pazzo short levers. It was definitely a blast to ride while I had it.

no way! you are not talking about first year for motorcycle insurance as having m2 license less than 1 year right?

what I got is 5k from TD on a 2015 FZ6R, thats...more than half of the bike cost!

I went with TD meloche and it was 1700 the first year and I'm in my 30's. Now after 4 years it's gone down under 1g.

no way! you are not talking about first year for motorcycle insurance as having m2 license less than 1 year right?

what I got is 5k from TD on a 2015 FZ6R, thats...more than half of the bike cost!

Nope, this is my second bike. I've had my M class since 2011.

Back
Top Bottom