Plate Size in Ontario? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plate Size in Ontario?

kiwi

Hey, I walked by a bunch of bikes yesterday and I swear the plate on this one Ninja 250 looked smaller than regular motorcycle plates. Have plates changed or possibly is it a different size plate for custom ones? this was AB2000 Where AB were 2 different letters...

I have a vanity plate on my bike. Same size as a regular plate.

Likely a replica license plate. Several sites sell them, usually they are identical but just slightly smaller than original.

Likely a replica license plate. Several sites sell them, usually they are identical but just slightly smaller than original.

interesting.. I'll keep a lookout next time I go for a walk..
thanks

A company that does these plates will only make a legal looking plate if you own the registration for the plate you are trying to make. I have a vanity plate on my bike, so if I wanted the tiny version, I have to provide proof that I own the plate I want. They will then make it. But if its legal to use on the road.. no clue.. seems like maybe not because the paint on the vanity plate won't have that reflective quality.

http://www.noveltyplates.ca/replica_license_plates.html

I suspect that this section of the HTA would reference that only plates issued by the "ministry" may be attached to a vehicle. Particularly Section 14 (1)(a)(i). Note that it states in section 12 (2) and (3). It states that an "authorized" number plate is property of the ministry.
Therefore, a Plate made by an outside company would not qualify, as it is not property of the ministry, and thus the Registered Owner of the vehicle is technically NOT the owner of the plate.

Violations as to number plates
12. (1) Every person who,
(a) defaces or alters any number plate, evidence of validation or permit;
(b) uses or permits the use of a defaced or altered number plate, evidence of validation or permit;
(c) without the authority of the permit holder, removes a number plate from a motor vehicle or trailer;
(d) uses or permits the use of a number plate upon a vehicle other than a number plate authorized for use on that vehicle;
(e) uses or permits the use of evidence of validation upon a number plate displayed on a motor vehicle other than evidence of validation furnished by the Ministry in respect of that motor vehicle; or
(f) uses or permits the use of a number plate or evidence of validation other than in accordance with this Act and the regulations,
is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000 or to imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or to both, and in addition the person’s licence or permit may be suspended for not more than six months. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 12 (1).
Property of the Crown
(2) Every number plate is the property of the Crown and shall be returned to the Ministry when required by the Ministry. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 5 (1).
Same
(3) For the purpose of subsection (2),
“number plate” includes,
(a) a number plate bearing a requested number,
(b) evidence of validation,
(c) a permit,
(d) a CAVR cab card, and
(e) an IRP cab card issued by the Ministry. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 5 (1).
Number plates, further violations
No other numbers to be exposed
13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 13 (1).
Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).
Obstruction prohibited
(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).
Same
(3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).
Same
(3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).
Offence
(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).
Improper or invalid number plates and cab cards
Improper number plate
14. (1) Where a police officer or an officer appointed under this Act has reason to believe that,
(a) a number plate attached to a motor vehicle or trailer,
(i) has not been authorized under this Act for use on that vehicle,
(ii) was obtained by false pretences, or
(iii) has been defaced or altered;
(b) evidence of validation of a permit displayed on a motor vehicle,
(i) was not furnished under this Act in respect of that motor vehicle,
(iii) has been defaced or altered; or
(c) a permit carried by a driver of a motor vehicle,
(i) was not authorized under this Act in respect of that motor vehicle,
(iii) has been defaced or altered,
the officer may take possession of the number plate, evidence of validation or permit and retain it until the facts have been determined. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 14 (1).

Correct....

Basically unless it's a plate issued by the Ministry, it's not a valid plate

You cannot even alter the ones you get from the Ministry, buddy of mine cut his, top and bottom to fit in a space between the bumper and the lower lip of the car, he was pulled over, given a ticket and plates were taken, had to get car towed home and had to get new plates.....

Correct....

Basically unless it's a plate issued by the Ministry, it's not a valid plate

You cannot even alter the ones you get from the Ministry, buddy of mine cut his, top and bottom to fit in a space between the bumper and the lower lip of the car, he was pulled over, given a ticket and plates were taken, had to get car towed home and had to get new plates.....

yeah, I remember reading that even the fact of having the licence plate frames around the plate could technically get you an infraction ticket, but its not something enforced. As Long as your validation sticker is valid and showing.

I wonder if the paint/lamination on these replicas is better than the paint government-issue plates? My 2011-era front plate on my truck is flaking in the background (white/reflective) areas. I like my plate # and don't want to replace with a different #. Replacing with this replica would be a good solution. Can you get your current plate # replaced with the same through MTO?

I wonder if the paint/lamination on these replicas is better than the paint government-issue plates? My 2011-era front plate on my truck is flaking in the background (white/reflective) areas. I like my plate # and don't want to replace with a different #. Replacing with this replica would be a good solution. Can you get your current plate # replaced with the same through MTO?

I always thought you could.

Service Ontario only issues plates they have at their disposal. They wouldn't have the same number as you currently have. I would suspect you can "order" a replacement plate, but I have no idea, if they do this. I know when a friend lost their front plate in an accident they made him get a new set. I am sure the gov't will do anything for "the right price"..lol

But replacing the front plate with a replica, (if it gets spotted would result in the ticket and seizure of both plates). Plus of course the resulting tow as well.

EDIT: Apparently you can NOT get a plate replaced with the same number. This is what Service Ontario website says, that in all three cases lost, stolen or damaged bring the remaining plate in for replacement:

If your plate has been lost you must visit a ServiceOntario centre to get a replacement.
You must bring the following items:

• identification
  • proof of valid insurance
  • the vehicle permit (plate and vehicle portion)
  • the other plate (if applicable)
  • a completed replacement declaration (police services information is not required)
If your plate has been stolen you must visit a ServiceOntario centre to get a replacement.
You must bring the following items:

• identification
  • the other plate (if applicable)
  • a completed replacement declaration (police services information is required – visit your local police services or if it’s a telephone or on-line report, include the occurrence number on the form)
If your plate has been damaged you need to visit a ServiceOntario centre to get a replacement. You must bring the following items:

• identification
  • the damaged plates
If you do not have the vehicle permit you can have it replaced at a ServiceOntario centre at an additional charge.
[h=3]Personalized Plates[/h] You will receive a set of regular plates at no charge to use on your vehicle until your personalized plates are replaced. You must wait 6 months before the stolen personalized plates can be replaced.
When the personalized plates arrive, bring the following items to a ServiceOntario centre:

• your interim plates
  • the letter you received with the replacement personalized plates
  • the vehicle and plate portions of the permit for the interim plates
  • the name of your insurance company and your policy number
You will need to complete and sign the application for registration form (available at ServiceOntario).

Updated: March 4, 2015

Last edited:
Service Ontario only issues plates they have at their disposal. They wouldn't have the same number as you currently have. I would suspect you can "order" a replacement plate, but I have no idea, if they do this. I know when a friend lost their front plate in an accident they made him get a new set.

You can get custom plates from MTO.

Yes I know you can get personalized plates he was asking if he can have his current damaged front plate replaced with the SAME NUMBER, to keep the same plate number he currently has. Unless it is a personalized plate according to Service Ontario website he can't, see above edit

You can get custom plates from MTO.

Sssshhhhhh..it's the same thing some people do to the huge trailer plates. Just make sure you have the real one with you in case you get pulled over.

yeah, I remember reading that even the fact of having the licence plate frames around the plate could technically get you an infraction ticket, but its not something enforced. As Long as your validation sticker is valid and showing.
They sell plate covers at MTO for like $10. That charge would get tossed if they actually took it to court.

Personalized Plates

You will receive a set of regular plates at no charge to use on your vehicle until your personalized plates are replaced. You must wait 6 months before the stolen personalized plates can be replaced.

thanks for the information. 6 mths wait for personalised plates though..

Yeah, well you know speeding is illegal too. So is smoking pot. There are lots of people driving around with no front plate. There are some driving around with replica plates too. Not sure why but I suspect it has something to do with reflectivity and how they react to laser guns. Then there's the cool factor.

Ah, so I saw the plate again. It's definitely smaller than regular plates and has a blue border around it. It has ONT and the validation stickers on it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom