Hello, kinda new here. Opinions Wanted. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello, kinda new here. Opinions Wanted.

Em_5ive

Hello,

I'm semi-new here. I owned a 09' 250r back for the past two years and sold it over this past winter. Originally wasn't planning to ride again this year but don't know if I can stay away! Looking at two options, any input is great. My budget is in the $3500-4500 range I wondering what best fits the bill.

I'm 26 years old, GM2. I've had my G since I was 19 and my M2 when I was 24. No accidents, no tickets.

1. 2003-2005 Honda CBR600RR - Quoted at $140 per month from SF liability & theft
2. 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 - Quoted at $80 per month from SF liability & theft

What's your take?

Curious if the 300 is a significant step up from the 250? Also, although I'm not married I'm considered common-law by tax status because my girlfriend and I are living together and have a child. Anyone know if this will provide me with added benefits regarding insurance premiums? I've heard the cbr's provide the cheapest insurance of all the SS's, and the most comfortable; anyone have any opinions regarding this?

Thanks in advance for your help GTAM!

For around town a 300 is fine. Small step up from the 250. If you want much more power and can afford the ins. then the 600. 2 different beasts.
Marital status usually makes no difference.

CBR F4/F4i comfortable for most
CBR600RR NOT comfortable for most

GSXR 01+ probably the most comfortable SS for most.

I used to own a 2003 CBR600RR and i was paying around what you have quoted for insurance a month. I think more like 125 but i'm out of the GTA. Bike was fun, plenty quick and nimble. It'll be a considerable step up from a 250 if that's what you are looking for. As far as comfort, it was not as comfortable as my current Kawasaki Z1000 but that has a riser bar and is a sprot touring model so not apples to apples.

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

Thanks everyone. Its such a tough decision for me and I'm honestly comparing apples to oranges. I think it may come down to whichever I can find a better deal on. If the price for these used 300's weren't comparable to the CBR, I'd settle for the ninja. But they're similarity in price range has me leaning towards what I feel is the "best bang for my buck" or "best power to dollar ratio" lol.

I'll continue my search. Thank for all the input based on your experiences!

Prices for bikes must be the same but insurance will be the factor. It goes without saying the SS will obviously cost more. Its about is it worth it for you.

what about a sport touring like the Yamaha FZ6R...still a 600 cc with plenty of oomph and flickiness, but not outrageously priced for insurance because it's not considered a pure sport bike...

^Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the sv650. Does SF insure based on cc's which would make it more expensive? Correct me if I'm wrong.

^Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the sv650. Does SF insure based on cc's which would make it more expensive? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, it may bebin your best interests to call for rates and not SF if you want to go bigger than 500 and not SS.

What about a Ninja 650/er6n or Versys. More power than the 300 but should have better insurance rates than the SS.

I think a 07 could be had at the upper end of the mentioned budget.

Last edited:
Or an SV650.

Agreed. The sv is highly underrated. It's extremely light, agile, and plenty fast enough. Cheap to insure, probably better not to use State Farm though, likely get better rates elsewhere on anything except a ss.

What about a Ninja 650/er6n or Versys. More power than the 300 but should have better insurance rates than the SS.

I think a 07 could be had at the upper end of the mentioned budget.

Gotta agree to this too. All great bikes, and I now own a versys. I prefer the ergos of an "adventure style" bike over a ss.

The Ninja 650 doesn't visually appeal to me. The ER6N does but its tough to find one in my price range. I think I'm settled on the SV650 as a perfect compromise between my first two options. The naked version looks awesome. I like the way both the naked/standard and SS bikes look. Thanks for the suggetions.

Did some quoting around today for the SV650:
1. Jevco - $2200 Annual
2. TMM - $1700 Annual

The SF quote for the CBR is cheaper!! Will probably call around some more after the long weekend.

FWIW, when I bought my FZ6R, it too was looking at an SV650 with ABS and my quotes were double what I pay for the FZ...try getting a quote for the Yami and see if it's cheaper...that might help your decision...and if you like the naked look, go for a slightly older FZ6 which doesn't have full fairing, but still not considered a pure sports bike...

I actually made the suggestion as a Versys owner also. Not sure your into the looks but it rides like a mid sized supermoto in my opinion.

Thanks all once again, I think I've settled on a 2003+ SV650 and plan to convert to a street fighter style. Hoping to find insurance rates somewhere between the ninja 300 quotes and CBR600.

However, a slipping clutch on my car has resulted in a full clutch change this weekend and discovery of suspension that needs replacing soon. Will do so in the coming weeks. Talk about worst timing. This has taken a bite of the funds put aside for my bike.

Thanks again GTAM. Hopefully I be back on a bike soon, at least I'm settled on what I want now.

SF ins on the sv650 is higher then a 600 believe it or not as they go by the cc where other companies it's consider sport tour..
I know as I checked it out :) cheers

Back
Top Bottom