2009 KLX250S Won't start | GTAMotorcycle.com

2009 KLX250S Won't start

woot

I bought a KLX250S in Febuary.

When I bought it the seller had it in his garage with the garage well heated. I'd heard that these bike were jetted very lean so I didn't have a problem with this.

When I got it home I tried to start it no luck. Pointed a space heater at it's engine for a few hours and it started quite easily.

In order to safety the bike I had to change the rear tire. I had it hanging with ratchet straps from the rafters of my garage. When trying to lower it it fell on it's side and started to have gas pour out of the engine area.

After changing the tire I could not get it to start, even with the heater. I pulled the plug out and was getting a spark but plug was very white. I tried putting a little gas in the spark plug hole as this had worked for me on a snowmobile I used to have. Still would not start and plug was now black and wet.

Replaced spark plug still no luck.

Tried spraying quick start in the air intake, no luck.

Was suggested by someone at work that it likly flooded and I had gas in the oil. Changed the oil, still won't start. Checked plug and it's clean as a whistle and still sparking. tried giving it some throttle while starting, it chugs a little but no starting.

KLX will be a prick to start, Drain the carb then turn gas back on pull the choke, and it might go. A quick shot of quick start in the airbox while cranking helps as well.

If you're feeling lucky you could try the little propane torch. Pull the air filter, insert unlit torch as far into the carb as possible, open and close valve, pull torch out of harms way, crank motor. Might work better with 2 people.

If you're feeling lucky you could try the little propane torch. Pull the air filter, insert unlit torch as far into the carb as possible, open and close valve, pull torch out of harms way, crank motor. Might work better with 2 people.

Definitly work better with two people, one holding the fire extinguiser.

KLX will be a prick to start, Drain the carb then turn gas back on pull the choke, and it might go. A quick shot of quick start in the airbox while cranking helps as well.

Tried this, still no go.

Is there a way to check that gas is getting to the carb/engine beyond the float?

This all seems a little extreme. I think you need to check everything over.

1. Confirm spark ( I think this is covered already as you stated it has spark)
2. Not familiar with the bike but I assume it is electric start. If so confirm a full charge on the battery or use a known good battery. My drz would not start unless the battery was healthy otherwise cranked too slow and no go.
2. Confirm fuel. This should be noticeable on the spark plug as wetness after cranking and twisting the throttle a bit. If the bike has a vacuum operated petcock be sure to check that the hose from the head is attached, otherwise ensure it is on.
3. Might be a good time to check compression also.
4. If all seems and still no dice consider cleaning the carb. Maybe move up a size on the pilot and main if they are truly jetted lean.
5. Ensure you are trying to start the bike with all intake pieces in place if the bike is lean more air is not going to help things.

This all seems a little extreme. I think you need to check everything over.

1. Confirm spark ( I think this is covered already as you stated it has spark)
2. Not familiar with the bike but I assume it is electric start. If so confirm a full charge on the battery or use a known good battery. My drz would not start unless the battery was healthy otherwise cranked too slow and no go.
2. Confirm fuel. This should be noticeable on the spark plug as wetness after cranking and twisting the throttle a bit. If the bike has a vacuum operated petcock be sure to check that the hose from the head is attached, otherwise ensure it is on.
3. Might be a good time to check compression also.
4. If all seems and still no dice consider cleaning the carb. Maybe move up a size on the pilot and main if they are truly jetted lean.
5. Ensure you are trying to start the bike with all intake pieces in place if the bike is lean more air is not going to help things.

1. Check
2. Check
3. Spark plug is not wet. I was about to look at cleaning the carb and thought I'd try spraying quick start onto the filter as suggested by my boss. I did get one pop out of it but no start. I noticed that it seemed to be puffing air out of the air filter (I had the airbox cover off at this point) as I could see the quick start being blown off the filter as the starter was turning it over. I'm far from an expert but this doesn't seem right to me.

Either pull the carb off and clean out all the teeny, tiny orifices in the pilot circuit or take it to someone who can.
Today's fuel (because of the added ethanol) tends to denature badly and turn to gum when the machine is left to sit.
This particular machine is jetted very lean to pass emissions and it doesn't take much to bung things up.
In future, before you store it, run a couple of tanks of Shell or Canadian Tire premium gas through it.
They are the only two brands I know of that do not contain ethanol.
BTW - same for your lawnmower, snowblower, or anything else you might have that sits around.

If you're not sure of the age of the gasoline in the tank, dump that also (siphon it out) and replace with fresh gas. Add the old stuff to the gas tank in your car...

Well to cure the normal cold start issue on my 2007 I just drilled the "choke" jet bigger. Up to 0.018".

I don't see that as being your issue though. Nonetheless, maybe check this out.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/518922-cold-starting-problem-resolved-klx-250s/page-4

I drilled out the choke jet last night. When the starter is turning it over it sounds a little healthier but still not catching. It also makes a popping noise if I hold the starter long enough, not as loud as a back-fire I would think.

I noticed when taking the carb off last night that the rubber piece from the air box to the carb was very loose, to the point that it just fell off when removing the carb. I think that tonight I will make sure that all of the hose clamps are tight and put one on the end that is missing all together. My thoughts are that maybe extra air is being pulled in.

I drilled out the choke jet last night. When the starter is turning it over it sounds a little healthier but still not catching. It also makes a popping noise if I hold the starter long enough, not as loud as a back-fire I would think.

I noticed when taking the carb off last night that the rubber piece from the air box to the carb was very loose, to the point that it just fell off when removing the carb. I think that tonight I will make sure that all of the hose clamps are tight and put one on the end that is missing all together. My thoughts are that maybe extra air is being pulled in.

Yeah, the last thing you want on a klx is more air. Have you checked the valve clearances? My drz400 died one day (warming up on choke), wouldn't start again for nothing. ( and I tried everything). Broke down and checked the valves, both exhaust were too tight. Re-shimmed, buttoned it back up and it fired on the first try...

Yeah, the last thing you want on a klx is more air. Have you checked the valve clearances? My drz400 died one day (warming up on choke), wouldn't start again for nothing. ( and I tried everything). Broke down and checked the valves, both exhaust were too tight. Re-shimmed, buttoned it back up and it fired on the first try...

Previous owner said that valves were just done.

have you tried bump/push starting it?

Also can you check the battery - resting voltage should be 12+V
Starting it the voltage will drop to 11V or 10V but much more than that says the battery is probably toast.
Once its running you should see voltage of 13 to 14V which will show that the battery is being charged.

An irridium plug is also supposed to help with cold weather starting.

Other advise provided in the thread is good but remember a KLX is simply a HUGE pita to start when its cold.

The valve check suggestion has promise poorly adjusted or badly out of spec valves on a four stroke single are definitely a cause for hard starting.

As others have suggested the engine must breath properly to start.

You can also richen the mixture by further air restriction. I have done this before by taping over a portion of the air box intake with duct tape.

Curious as to why the plug is not getting wet when you are cranking the bike over, generally they will get wet if the bike does not start. This may be a clue.

I am guessing you tried to get things going on our more recent warm days? So cold air is no longer the main issue?

Just to bump this if anyone is still having trouble with starting. My stock 2010 KLX250SF was a hard starter until I re-jetted it (added an FMF slip-on as well). Now it starts no problem with the choke, and when it's almost cold it will start with no choke. It doesn't need to idle nearly as long with the choke on as well. I only changed the main jet and the needle to what the dynojet kit specified. I think running ethanol free fuel has helped as well, maybe I'll put some regular in it today for fun and see how it starts after sitting.

Back
Top Bottom