How long from Barrie to Toronto on 400 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How long from Barrie to Toronto on 400

hey OP, have worked film for the las t 15 yrs some from in T.O. some from in Bradford, some from in Innisfil. I found that the best route into the film district was 400 south to Black Creek Drv to Old Weston rd to Keele to Parkside Drive to Lakeshore then on to the Gardner East at the Ex and get off at Jarvis or Carlaw depending which studio you are headed to. It sounds like a lot of driving but really the straightest line from Barrie to that part of the city. If you leave by 5:30 you should be good to be in town for 7:00. Getting home, leaving at 4:30 you're All kind's of F#@%'d up!! specially with what I've been reading about the Pan Am Games this summer. works out to morning trip okay, ride home sucky.
Nabet or IA or DGC??

I Work at Yonge and Eglinton and bought a great home in Brooklin (130 km round trip a day), i was sure i could handle it. after 2 years i sold the house and moved half the distance.

It gets to you after a while, I don't care who you are and how much you enjoy your job, the traffic and the stupidity you see while on it really gets to you.

I have done some pretty horrific commutes, 300km a day, flying out for the week etc, and no way would I do a Barrie to downtown run.
I do a 140 a day now into Buffalo, but it's quite doable, I'm rarely ready to kill by the time i'm finished. In and out of downton TO - no $ is worth it,
especially if you don't have a wife and kids you dont want to uproot for the sake of a long commute.

so through the week your home to late and getting up too early to enjoy anything in Barrie. Get a beater motorhome, park it in lot at studio and sleep there during the week. Bicycle and you can enjoy TO. Crap motorhome or trailer would cost about two weeks gas money?

Is there nothing east of TO that doesnt suck that could make more sense?

I drive 128kms door to door, one way, to commute. It's not so bad, you get used to it. Fifteen hours travel time for a five day week. For me it's totally worth it. The additional cost for travel more than offsets the mortgage difference. At home, I can have an open fire in the warmer evenings, ride dirt bikes, and shoot rifles in my own yard. It's quiet, when we're not shooting and riding dirt bikes, and I get all the fresh air I can handle.

^^ 2Bdrm 1400sq Ft in Barrie with a garage / driveway / backyard is $270,000

Same thing in Toronto is $700,000

Also....less congestion, less traffic, closer to beaches / motorcycle rides / ski hills. Many reasons

2 Bdrm 1100 sq. ft. 5 min walk to subway with parking and balcony with a view clear across the lake to the US is $150,000.
So that's one helluva expensive (and inconvenient) back yard.

hey OP, have worked film for the las t 15 yrs some from in T.O. some from in Bradford, some from in Innisfil. I found that the best route into the film district was 400 south to Black Creek Drv to Old Weston rd to Keele to Parkside Drive to Lakeshore then on to the Gardner East at the Ex and get off at Jarvis or Carlaw depending which studio you are headed to. It sounds like a lot of driving but really the straightest line from Barrie to that part of the city. If you leave by 5:30 you should be good to be in town for 7:00. Getting home, leaving at 4:30 you're All kind's of F#@%'d up!! specially with what I've been reading about the Pan Am Games this summer. works out to morning trip okay, ride home sucky.
Nabet or IA or DGC??
Hrm even with the Gardiner construction eh? Ia411 and currently at revival

2 Bdrm 1100 sq. ft. 5 min walk to subway with parking and balcony with a view clear across the lake to the US is $150,000.
So that's one helluva expensive (and inconvenient) back yard.
At that price no wonder there is a clear view across the lake, walls are an extra $550,000. The roches and citiots are free ;).
Born and raised in downtown T.O. for 30 years, now on almost an acre of land with forest behind me and lake in front. There isn't enough money to make me move back.
However my commute consists of a 10 min counrty road lol. :)

Hrm even with the Gardiner construction eh? Ia411 and currently at revival

Good point!! It's been a while since I had to experience that bit of "joy", so I'm not totally up to date on the traffic conditions. That commute is the main reason i'm going to be getting out of the industry, going to find work closer to home.

At that price no wonder there is a clear view across the lake, walls are an extra $550,000. The roches and citiots are free ;).
Born and raised in downtown T.O. for 30 years, now on almost an acre of land with forest behind me and lake in front. There isn't enough money to make me move back.
However my commute consists of a 10 min counrty road lol. :)
No roaches. Other people, yes. If you need acres separation from other people then the city is not for you. That's not the city's problem, that's your problem.

No roaches. Other people, yes. If you need acres separation from other people then the city is not for you. That's not the city's problem, that's your problem.
I'd love to see this $150,000 home with the fantastic access to ttc and views to die for.
Not to mention property tax or maintenance fees monthly for apartments. Car and bike insurance is doubled if not tripled as well.
Toronto has gotten way over priced and is pushing middle class families out.
We are talking 1980 prices rite?

Last edited:
I'd love to see this $150,000 home with the fantastic access to ttc and views to die for.
Not to mention property tax or maintenance fees monthly for apartments. Car and bike insurance is doubled if not tripled as well.
Toronto has gotten way over priced and is pushing middle class families out.
We are talking 1980 prices rite?
Actually, looked it up and my figure is out of date, ranges around 185 to 215 now.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15383431

I can have an open fire in the warmer evenings, ride dirt bikes, and shoot rifles in my own yard. It's quiet, when we're not shooting and riding dirt bikes, and I get all the fresh air I can handle.

That sounds awesome, Im selling my house in a month and want to move further north, but i dont know how far to go or what areas to look into. But I wanna piece of that guns and dirtbikes lifestyle!

^^ 2Bdrm 1400sq Ft in Barrie with a garage / driveway / backyard is $270,000

Same thing in Toronto is $700,000

Also....less congestion, less traffic, closer to beaches / motorcycle rides / ski hills. Many reasons

Maybe for the non-desireable areas. I'm not even downtown and that house you described would be over a million.

That sounds awesome, Im selling my house in a month and want to move further north, but i dont know how far to go or what areas to look into. But I wanna piece of that guns and dirtbikes lifestyle!

Obviously, the closer you are to Toronto, and the closer to the 401/400 corridors, the more expensive things will be. Rural properties can be hard to come by. Look in small town newspapers for property, sometimes these places are sold privately and wont be in MLS listings. Don't limit yourself to just north of the city.

Is there nothing east of TO that doesnt suck that could make more sense?

Yep there is, but not sure how cheap it is. I'm a stones throw from the bluffs, it's nice here, especially in summer, and one of the reasons I can deal with staying in the GTA.. .. but couldn't afford to move into the area now. Ajax /Pickering is popular for a lot of commuters.. There's a cost/benefit ratio that the OP will need to weigh up.. How far away is it worth going vs time wasted in commute. One of the things in the news yesterday that Toronto is starting to lead Nth America in- time of the daily commute

That's still pretty good for the city.
What would maint fees be?

650 per month! That is one of the reasons it is so low. There are lots of deals like that and usually it is either a co-op(very hard to get the banks to give you the money) and/or the maint is very high.

There are places with better access to Toronto and a sorter communte (and better go service) than Barrie. In the end you will spend so much time on the hwy that you will not get to enjoy all it has to offer.

If it was me, I would be looking east or west of the city, short drive to GO and less of a commute if driving all the way.

Back
Top Bottom