How long from Barrie to Toronto on 400 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How long from Barrie to Toronto on 400

I wish I could, but personally there's no way I would even want to live in Toronto. I can't stand city living and I also get claustrophobic after a few hours. Commuting is just a part of the job in my eyes :(

Your commute sounds like one of Dante's circles of hell - any thoughts on looking for a job in Barrie or the vicinity?

Do you have a wife/kids?

Your commute sounds like one of Dante's circles of hell - any thoughts on looking for a job in Barrie or the vicinity?

Do you have a wife/kids?

Nice reference :p

No attachments, but i work in film so Toronto it is....that's where the studios are. Looking at getting into real estate in the next 5-10 years, hopefully.

If the go train had a compartment where you could load your bike onto, take the train downtown, then ride home....now we're talkin....

Closer to 25 or more hours per week commuting. You haven't even begun to understand Fridays during the summer.

I know you didn't ask but ...

250kms per day x 5 days x 4 weeks = 5000kms per month. 500kms per tank = 10 tanks @ $50.00 per tank = $500.00 per month in gas, $250.00 per month in maintenance. Added bonus of essentially writing off your vehicle every 3 years = $20,000.00/36 = another $500.00/month. Overall the Barrie commute will result in $1250.00/month plus your lost time!

Or ...

$500,000.00 Mortgage @ 4.00% = $2000.00/month
$20.00/hr job x 25 hours commuting = $2000.00/month
Of course there's payroll taxes & property taxes but you get the picture.
Keep in mind, driving back and forth from Barrie costs $1250.00/month so even if you simply work 10 hours per week, you'll break even.

Or ...

Find someone at your workplace and share a monthly apartment. Life's too short to be kissing 25 hours per week away.

I'd never do it, but I understand the reason that someone would. A perceived savings and great weekends out of the city. But my time is precious.

I had to build a Payless shoe store in Belleville last year and was commuting every day. 90 minutes each way and it was killing me. Let's just say that I got that job done ahead of schedule!

I live in Etobicoke and work in St. Jacobs. It's 100 kms each way. I try to work from home at least 2 times a week.

This summer I'm going to try and rent a small room close to the University of Waterloo. What I'll pay for the room will be less than what I spend in gas.

But changing topic, it would be really good of we were allowed to lane split in Toronto. Your ride to work would go a lot faster.

I Work at Yonge and Eglinton and bought a great home in Brooklin (130 km round trip a day), i was sure i could handle it. after 2 years i sold the house and moved half the distance.

It gets to you after a while, I don't care who you are and how much you enjoy your job, the traffic and the stupidity you see while on it really gets to you.

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately I can't do the train...my hours are too unpredictable and I'm in the studio district (nowhere near union).

I didn't know about that googlemap function. That's great, thanks!

Buy a cheap bicycle, park it close to Union station(plenty of ppl use that area as bicycle parking) get off the train and cycle to the studio district, probably a 15 minute cycle ride.

I would try 400 to #9, 9 to 404/DVP

Agreed. 400/401 junction is terrible at that time.
I commute roughly 200km round trip daily. Awake at 3:30, leave by 4, parking at work (keele and 7) by 5. Doesn't bother me yet, but then I drive heavy trucks all day so...
On the other hand, I live near Barrie and am definitely down to ride! :D

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Note to self: I will never complain about my 25min GO Train ride downtown ;-)

Note to self: I will never complain about my 10min walk to work.

It does get windy sometimes.

Note to self: GTA sucks.

Major Mackenzie and Weston to 404/Finch takes me about 45-60 minutes everyday to get to school... its about a round trip of 65km... i cant imagine doing a Barrie to Toronto trip everyday... that is crazy.

Not sure if this is an option (depending on family, wife, kids, etc.) but see if you can rent out a room somewhere close to work. No matter how much fun your job is, you'll start hating the commute mighty quick.

I had a few tenants that worked in Toronto, and lived in Collingwood or Peterborough, or Port Elgin and frankly....awesome tenants...quiet, paid the rent, and always gone on weekends.

1. Was way cheaper for him to live here than commute from Collingwood. Stopped living here when his job stopped paying so well
2. Peterborough didn't last too long because he missed his wife. So he ended up finding a charter bus making the trip from Peterborough to the GM plant here
3. Port Elgin guy lived here, and went home on weekends while his job was active here

In my case, I was offered a job with considerable pay raise and further training. Plan is to stay for a couple years, then bring that experience back closer to home at the same money. :D
It's not a bad commute, I'm off the 400 at Rutherford rd by 5:00 am so traffic is still extremely thin. Going home I live west of Barrie in Angus, so anything west of the 400 will do, especially on the bike.

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Back
Top Bottom