Voice Commands Iphone vs Android Sena SMH10 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Voice Commands Iphone vs Android Sena SMH10

Okay, here's the link to show that Google Now supports what I was saying:

http://bgr.com/2014/07/08/google-now-voice-controls-music/

You need to make google now your default app for that button press (voice action) - not sure what its called.. Also on Samjunk phones TouchWiz takes over the system and everything is linked into "s-"this or that apps. I'm running an LG G3 with Lollypop. I'm going to test this again.. just tested on my LG G3

"Ok Google, play Enter Sandman" and it worked perfectly fine. It looks like the music has to be in Google Play for it to know about your tunes..

Heres a list of all the stuff you can get Google Now to do:
http://www.greenbot.com/article/2359684/a-list-of-all-the-ok-google-voice-commands.html

eg
Entertainment
•Play some music (opens “I’m feeling lucky” radio station in Google Play Music)
•Next Song / Pause Song
•Play [Happy] (songs must be in Google Play Music on your device)
•Watch [The Lego Movie] (movies and TV must be in your Google Play account)
•What’s this song?
So it has to be from Google Music? What can't it just play the mp3 ' s on my phone. There has to be a solution.

Android works this way as well with Google Now BUT you need to set your language in Now to English US to enable the functionality.

44Rk9p5.jpg

Once you set your default language, you should see Hands-free options appear. Open that and .make sure Bluetooth is enabled.

HUMVOYL.jpg

Now when you press the Phone button on your Sena it should launch the Google Now voice prompt.

Make sure you have the latest version of Google Search installed from the Play store. Also, disable S Voice and all that crap. Not as good as Now.

So it has to be from Google Music? What can't it just play the mp3 ' s on my phone. There has to be a solution.
Yes, Google music plays local mp3s.
Like any other mp3 player

Thanks Davethecanuck, I'm not sure what I have my phone set up as I'll have to check but I know one language I ha E set up is NZ English as the voice recognition is 95% accurate

I tried this, switched language to US, did not bring an option for Hands Free. Also, S voice is disabled. (double clicking the home button does nothing now...is this normal)

thanks

Sorry wildturkey, not sure what else to suggest without a Samsung phone to play around with. I'm not sure what kind of tweaks Samsung have made to the system.

I'm personally using a Nexus 5 with a completely unmolested version of Android 5.1 straight from Google and it works exactly as expected.

Also, check out Tasker and an addon called Autovoice, it blows away both google and Siri. It integrates with google Now and Voice, you can call Svoice, Google or Tasker.

I can turn on my home security camera to see how I am going to get the bike into garage by saying "Open Garage Cam". I then call home and say move the car please, I will be there in 5 mins and the bike cant get in the garage right now.

I can get weather and traffic every 10 mins on the 10s by using the 680 radio stream by saying "what is the traffic" 680 has a stream soley for weather and traffic, its not the full radio stream.

I have a command called "Take me home" that command starts a profile that starts google maps, and shows me the path home with voice directions.

And of course... What is the closest Tim Hortons..

You can play any music, any playlist, with any player(some player have intents that work directly with Tasker, such as PowerAmp.) You can start any App on your phone, control all if not most of the setting on your phone. So your lock screen issue, an other issue you will come across is brightness while on the bike, in Tasker my setting is Max Brightness and auto brightness is turned off.

Once your Sena is connected to your phone, Tasker will detected it and start configuring your phone to be used with the bike, Max Brightness, Wifi Off, Hands Free Profile, Start Media Player etc.

When you get home, Tasker senses the cell tower near your house, Sena Profile is turned off and Home Profile is turned on, So.... Wifi On, Brightness set to Auto, IP phone set to answer, phone set to vibrate etc.

Say Hello Google to get google voice, Say hello Galaxy to get SVoice. Anything your phone can do, can be directed by voice, and contolled by what you want to say to trigger it. Its endless.

Tasker also allows you to make menus, so when you commands start getting into high numbers you can say "I need help with Music Commands" and your menu will pop up with all the commands and you can get a voice response that verbally says all the commands. To stop you just say.. "shut up"

There is a learning curve, not very steep and tons of info on the web.

Also check out Car Home Ultra, SMS my car and Me and Home2 Shortcut.

I have a Sena SMH10, Note 3

Last edited:
Awesome post Captain Farkle. Thanks will check that out!

Also, check out Tasker and an addon called Autovoice, it blows away both google and Siri. It integrates with google Now and Voice, you can call Svoice, Google or Tasker.

I can turn on my home security camera to see how I am going to get the bike into garage by saying "Open Garage Cam". I then call home and say move the car please, I will be there in 5 mins and the bike cant get in the garage right now.

I can get weather and traffic every 10 mins on the 10s by using the 680 radio stream by saying "what is the traffic" 680 has a stream soley for weather and traffic, its not the full radio stream.

I have a command called "Take me home" that command starts a profile that starts google maps, and shows me the path home with voice directions.

And of course... What is the closest Tim Hortons..

You can play any music, any playlist, with any player(some player have intents that work directly with Tasker, such as PowerAmp.) You can start any App on your phone, control all if not most of the setting on your phone. So your lock screen issue, an other issue you will come across is brightness while on the bike, in Tasker my setting is Max Brightness and auto brightness is turned off.

Once your Sena is connected to your phone, Tasker will detected it and start configuring your phone to be used with the bike, Max Brightness, Wifi Off, Hands Free Profile, Start Media Player etc.

When you get home, Tasker senses the cell tower near your house, Sena Profile is turned off and Home Profile is turned on, So.... Wifi On, Brightness set to Auto, IP phone set to answer, phone set to vibrate etc.

Say Hello Google to get google voice, Say hello Galaxy to get SVoice. Anything your phone can do, can be directed by voice, and contolled by what you want to say to trigger it. Its endless.

Tasker also allows you to make menus, so when you commands start getting into high numbers you can say "I need help with Music Commands" and your menu will pop up with all the commands and you can get a voice response that verbally says all the commands. To stop you just say.. "shut up"

There is a learning curve, not very steep and tons of info on the web.

Also check out Car Home Ultra, SMS my car and Me and Home2 Shortcut.

I have a Sena SMH10, Note 3

Commenting so I can look up later.

Thanks for the post!

Android just updated it's OS on my phone to 5.0.1. I wonder if the bluetooth lockscreen issue has been resolved. I'll have to try later

Im thankful for this thread because it has gotten me using Kiwi's old Sena (which I bought off of him) properly with my Blackberry Passport. Voice commands work well, who knew!

So after the new update to Android 5.0.1. I have FINALLY found that YES, they have solved the lock screen issue. Took me forever to fond out. It's a small almost hidden feature in the security menu, but it WORKS!. It's a bit of a tutorial and there are plenty to be found online. Just look up Android 5.0.1 smart lock bluetooth for a guide. It works! Finally!

So now I'm I'm ordering a Sena smh10 with confidence that it'll work with my phone with a lock screen. I would have loved to get a 20s but $$$$. When the time comes I'll get one and give the smh10 to my Dad.

Yup, I paired Smart Lock with my Sena (and bluetooth in my car) to disable the lock screen when I'm riding or driving. Works like a charm.

So after the new update to Android 5.0.1. I have FINALLY found that YES, they have solved the lock screen issue. Took me forever to fond out. It's a small almost hidden feature in the security menu, but it WORKS!. It's a bit of a tutorial and there are plenty to be found online. Just look up Android 5.0.1 smart lock bluetooth for a guide. It works! Finally!

So now I'm I'm ordering a Sena smh10 with confidence that it'll work with my phone with a lock screen. I would have loved to get a 20s but $$$$. When the time comes I'll get one and give the smh10 to my Dad.

Heres a link to a Guide: http://gadgetguideonline.com/android/lollipop/how-to-use-smart-lock-in-android-lollipop/

Also, PM me if you're interested. I have a 20S from a Dual pack that I dont use. I was going to eBay it when I got around to it.

If I'd known earlier I would have bought it from you. I got the smh10. I got the smart lock going on ok. I got it going to the Google now app. But sometimes it won't reconize me. I think I read that there is a voice training function in the options. I'll have to look for it. Anyway I'll push the phone button on the sena, hear a bleep noise followed by a chime noise. I get stuck there.

I think im going to have to get a Ram mount for my bike and a windscreen. Might help to see the phone.

Also I'm wondering if I HAVE to put the phone into hands free mode or not.

So Google now has updated and now I encountered a new problem. I have smart lock on and synced to my Sena SMH10. New problem is when my phone is locked and in my pocket I'll activate it and request music. Google will respond and say OK but then nothing. I have to take the phon out, swipe th screen and then the phone completes the command. I'm going to try re syncing my sena to my phone. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Edit* re synchronization has not fixed this

Edit2* this is also effecting my car stereo in the same way now. I think it's time I learn to root this phone ( S4)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom