Voice Commands Iphone vs Android Sena SMH10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Voice Commands Iphone vs Android Sena SMH10

wildturkey27

Hello,

I'm just reaching out to see if anyone out there has experienced the same or similar issue.
I have a Sena SMH10, been riding with it for a couple of years now. Love it, wouldn't wanna ride again without it. I have never tried another bluetooth headset that competes with Sena so not sure if there would be a difference with the problem i'm having.
I have recently upgraded my phone from an iPhone 4S to a Samsung Galaxy S5. With the iPhone i was able to use the voice command button which would connect to Siri and allow me to use just about all of the phones regular features (receive text, send text, call, listen to music, switch songs, read emails, get directions etc etc etc). However, now that i have switched to Samsung Galaxy S5 it doesn't work as well. I am able to do some of the features but only for a short while. It seems that the voice command button no longer works when the screen locks (not a problem with the iPhone). I have messed around a little with lock screen settings and bluetooth settings but still cannot get this to work as well as the iPhone. I do not wish to leave my phone with no lock screen in my pocket while driving in fear i'll open up random screens, change settings, 911 calls etc.
My phone recently updated, which i though would have maybe fixed the issue i was having but did not. (works betting with my cars bluetooth at least :) )

Still love the Sena, great product and would recommend to anyone.

Go back to Apple, proprietary and all that shiet but it works like magic.

Why did you switch in the first place, when it was working so well?

Last edited:
Turn on hands free mode on the S5 . Change your accessibility settings under interaction control (and fine tune it to your preference) so you don't worry about what's buttons are pressed or screen being activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S voice works well but if you use a lock screen it won't activate with a button press which is stupid.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm just reaching out to see if anyone out there has experienced the same or similar issue.
I have a Sena SMH10, been riding with it for a couple of years now. Love it, wouldn't wanna ride again without it. I have never tried another bluetooth headset that competes with Sena so not sure if there would be a difference with the problem i'm having.
I have recently upgraded my phone from an iPhone 4S to a Samsung Galaxy S5. With the iPhone i was able to use the voice command button which would connect to Siri and allow me to use just about all of the phones regular features (receive text, send text, call, listen to music, switch songs, read emails, get directions etc etc etc). However, now that i have switched to Samsung Galaxy S5 it doesn't work as well. I am able to do some of the features but only for a short while. It seems that the voice command button no longer works when the screen locks (not a problem with the iPhone). I have messed around a little with lock screen settings and bluetooth settings but still cannot get this to work as well as the iPhone. I do not wish to leave my phone with no lock screen in my pocket while driving in fear i'll open up random screens, change settings, 911 calls etc.
My phone recently updated, which i though would have maybe fixed the issue i was having but did not. (works betting with my cars bluetooth at least :) )

Still love the Sena, great product and would recommend to anyone.

Okay, so I have been using a SENA headset since they first came to market along with different cell phones. Firstly, the iPhone will work very smoothly due to SIRI. When I went to Android I found the S Voice a peice of crap. I tried other voice commanders but still it was total crap. Theres a reason the new Galaxy S6 doesnt have all the Samjunk bloatware and crapwhere on it.. it just never reallly worked *well*. Anyway, On my LG G3, I changed the default voice command system to be Google Now. Google Now understands my NZ accent amazingly well and I am able to control the phone via voice. With that all said, I hardly use it but I know its the best way to control Android phones.

cheers

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately this still did not solve my problem.
If you go into your app manager find S Voice and disable it. The phone will switch to Google voice BUT it's only good for sending out calls. You can't control the whole phone with it.

Disabled S Voice, Google Now only allows me to make calls as Venom01 mentioned.

ugh, frustration continues.

You should be able to control your music.. ie "play music by metallica" - I'll have to double check, but I'm sure that works on google now. Also, "Will it rain in Toronto today"

In the same boat as you. Galaxy's S-voice definitely pales in comparison to Siri.

My biggest frustration ever with the Galaxy/Android platform... trying to switch songs through the headphone-buttons. ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. It NEVER works.. It was so simple on the iPhone. Drives me insane when I'm on the bike.

Seems simple enough.. 1 click to pause, 2 to skip to next song, 3 to skip to previous song. If only it were that simple.. angry9:

In the same boat as you. Galaxy's S-voice definitely pales in comparison to Siri.

My biggest frustration ever with the Galaxy/Android platform... trying to switch songs through the headphone-buttons. ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. It NEVER works.. It was so simple on the iPhone. Drives me insane when I'm on the bike.

Seems simple enough.. 1 click to pause, 2 to skip to next song, 3 to skip to previous song. If only it were that simple.. angry9:

The headphones need to be Android compatible. It's silly, but Android actually has code that does not allow Apple compatible headphones to work...

You can't use iPhone compatible headphones with buttons on Android phones. They use a different scheme for controlling the music. There is a Wikipedia entry I remember reading once explaining the difference in the systems

For the nerds..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#TRRS_Standards

Last edited:
Try the app utter on the app store. It's in beta right now but it's free. I haven't tried it myself but let us know
I tired that a couple years ago (it's in long term beta) and it was ok.. But i can't understand why google now isn't working for you... ? Maybe you don't have a data connection? Google needs one to do the voice recognition

You should be able to control your music.. ie "play music by metallica" - I'll have to double check, but I'm sure that works on google now. Also, "Will it rain in Toronto today"
No, it'll only give you "Say call followed by a name or a number"

Same issues as op with my bluetooth car deck. I thought Google would have figured this out by now.

I tired that a couple years ago (it's in long term beta) and it was ok.. But i can't understand why google now isn't working for you... ? Maybe you don't have a data connection? Google needs one to do the voice recognition
Does Google now continue to work after the lock screen comes back on when your using bluetooth? I can honestly say I've never actually tried it.

What about volume control and track advancing via voice?

You can't use iPhone compatible headphones with buttons on Android phones. They use a different scheme for controlling the music. There is a Wikipedia entry I remember reading once explaining the difference in the systems

For the nerds..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#TRRS_Standards

The headphones need to be Android compatible. It's silly, but Android actually has code that does not allow Apple compatible headphones to work...

I'm using the original 3 button Samsung headphones I got with the Galaxy S5

Everytime I try and skip a song forward (2 clicks) it pauses. Try to go backward (3 clicks), it goes forwards. 4 clicks, it just pauses.. Takes me about 10 tries with varying speed of clicking to get it to work.

Very very frustrating. Back to iPhone I go upon renewal.

Okay, here's the link to show that Google Now supports what I was saying:

http://bgr.com/2014/07/08/google-now-voice-controls-music/

You need to make google now your default app for that button press (voice action) - not sure what its called.. Also on Samjunk phones TouchWiz takes over the system and everything is linked into "s-"this or that apps. I'm running an LG G3 with Lollypop. I'm going to test this again.. just tested on my LG G3

"Ok Google, play Enter Sandman" and it worked perfectly fine. It looks like the music has to be in Google Play for it to know about your tunes..

Heres a list of all the stuff you can get Google Now to do:
http://www.greenbot.com/article/2359684/a-list-of-all-the-ok-google-voice-commands.html

eg
Entertainment
• Play some music (opens “I’m feeling lucky” radio station in Google Play Music)
• Next Song / Pause Song
• Play [Happy] (songs must be in Google Play Music on your device)
• Watch [The Lego Movie] (movies and TV must be in your Google Play account)
• What’s this song?

Back
Top Bottom