Suzuki M90 questions (new to cruisers) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suzuki M90 questions (new to cruisers)

mike226

Site Supporter
Hello all,

so im new to the cruiser and v-twin world, and just got a 2009 M90. So far, love the bike. But I have a couple questions....

while at at cruising speed, keeping rpm level at a decent level the bike is nice and smooth. But when I twist the throttle back to accelerate (with a good pull) the engine shakes quite a bit. Still has lots of power to get me going, and the rpm's are high enough it shouldn't be lugging the motor (for those that don't know, no tach on an M90). Is that normal?

and second, it's got automatic idle speed control which is supposed to help cold starting. Problem is, the 2 times I've started it (both in approx 5 degrees) it stalls immediately. and have to throttle it a bit to get it to start, and keep it running. After about 20-30 seconds it idles no problem. Any ideas how I can fix this without going to a shop?

Sounds like you are at a to low RPM. If you came from a smaller displacement bike .Without a tach you may not realize you are revving low .

Same thing happens on my 2009 Vulcan 900. It seems like it's the nature of v-twins as far as I can tell. Don't like it personally but you need to be easy on the throttle .

Hello all,

so im new to the cruiser and v-twin world, and just got a 2009 M90. So far, love the bike. But I have a couple questions....

while at at cruising speed, keeping rpm level at a decent level the bike is nice and smooth. But when I twist the throttle back to accelerate (with a good pull) the engine shakes quite a bit. Still has lots of power to get me going, and the rpm's are high enough it shouldn't be lugging the motor (for those that don't know, no tach on an M90). Is that normal?

and second, it's got automatic idle speed control which is supposed to help cold starting. Problem is, the 2 times I've started it (both in approx 5 degrees) it stalls immediately. and have to throttle it a bit to get it to start, and keep it running. After about 20-30 seconds it idles no problem. Any ideas how I can fix this without going to a shop?

Vtwins shake. That's normal, had an m90 for a while before I went to the 109. If its not bucking when you try and throttle it then you should be high enough in rpms. As far as stalling goes, make sure you let the computer run through its cycle after key on before you try and fire it up. Another thing to cause stalling could be a clogged fuel filter (which could also be a symptom of the shake you feel as you try and accelerate), could be starving for fuel.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about fuel filter and the fuel injectors being a cause. Going to get them dealt with and see how it goes.

And jester, I already love it and I have ridden it for maybe 30 minutes so far. Been a little cold, but warm weather is coming! Definitely a good purchase.

When I had mine, I swapped out the 210/17" rim and slapped in the m109 240/18". Really made it look better imo, and didn't hurt handling too much.

When I had mine, I swapped out the 210/17" rim and slapped in the m109 240/18". Really made it look better imo, and didn't hurt handling too much.

Straight swap or did you need to modify anything for the extra space?

Back
Top Bottom