Anybody here ever been a living organ donor? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody here ever been a living organ donor?

rbjeepthing

So to make it a long story short I have decided to donate one of my kidneys and myself and the recipient have just been cleared for the surgery. The original goal was to do it in the off season but that doesn't appear to be an option now. Recovery times seem to be all over the map from a minimum of 8 weeks to 12 months.

Being tired seems to be the most problematic initially so if you did this while able to ride how did you go about doing so? Has anyone here actually done this and if so what can you tell me about your story?

If people have questions about the process or are interested in doing something like this as well feel free to ask questions or PM me.

Adrian

I applaud your strength. Selflessness like this is extremely rare in this day. Kudos.

Does the person who is receiving your kidney know you well? I have known people in dialysis. It is not pleasant.

Not many people give a **** about the sick.. you are heroic..

I applaud your strength. Selflessness like this is extremely rare in this day. Kudos.

Does the person who is receiving your kidney know you well? I have known people in dialysis. It is not pleasant.

Not many people give a **** about the sick.. you are heroic..

No kudos required. I feel anyone who is in my exact situation health/professional/family would likely do the same thing.

She is the wife of my wifes co-worker (does that make sense?). We associated with them at work functions but have since become good friends and I just couldn't sit by watching her condition go down hill. How people wait on a donor list for 7+ years I don't know. It's definitely no way to live a quality life. The entire process has taken 8 months so far so its not an overnight thing.

Is it weird my only concern is not being able to ride my motorcycle for a long period of time?..lol

Is it weird my only concern is not being able to ride my motorcycle for a long period of time?..lol

Yeah recovery from surgery is so dependent on individual health and other issues. I took a good 2 years to recover from my most recent surgery. They told me the avg recovery was 6-9 months. Apparently I had a complication and something was different (I don't understand what), and because of that my recovery time was 9 months to 2 years.. sadly I painfully had to go the full 2 years. I really don't think you are going to take that long to recover, but our season is very short. As a reward for being such a good guy, maybe reward yourself with a trip to southern California for a riding trip, even when it starts to get cold you can get your fix!

Yeah recovery from surgery is so dependent on individual health and other issues. I took a good 2 years to recover from my most recent surgery. They told me the avg recovery was 6-9 months. Apparently I had a complication and something was different (I don't understand what), and because of that my recovery time was 9 months to 2 years.. sadly I painfully had to go the full 2 years. I really don't think you are going to take that long to recover, but our season is very short. As a reward for being such a good guy, maybe reward yourself with a trip to southern California for a riding trip, even when it starts to get cold you can get your fix!

Just check the travel insurance fine print to make sure you are cleared to go. I'm paranoid on travel insurance due to loose regulations.

Sort of,I was the recipient of my moms kidney over 20 years ago. I will answer anything I can feel free to pm me.

Only have donated blood.

Makes you a very cheap drunk! And i find you become more efficient at using the reduced oxygen you have in your arteries (since you have lik 10% less blood..you're body gets used to it)

I should look into doing it again soon, before i get the bike out.

Just check the travel insurance fine print to make sure you are cleared to go. I'm paranoid on travel insurance due to loose regulations.

Very good point.

Sort of,I was the recipient of my moms kidney over 20 years ago. I will answer anything I can feel free to pm me.

Wow thats great to hear the long term results. My recipient has already had one replacement from her uncle but do to the age of that kidney now requires another one. If anything comes up I will be sure to shoot you a pm. As I understand after the surgey I will feel sick and she will feel liek a million bucks. The hospital keeps joking that it's the only time the cause a patient to become ill on purpose for another gain.

It's a textbook definition of "selfless act" for sure. Kudos!

a friends brother years back donated to his wife, turned out he was a perfect match. Anyways the donor kidney was perfect, but the story turns....

with the doctor monitoring her progress rehab etc. The start having an affair. Marriage obviously fails, and in a year or so he stars experiencing issues with his remaining kidney. Don't know how his brother is doing, we have not connected in some time.

It's really a shame he could not seek custody back in the divorce.

His story is an exception. It truly is a generous act of kindness

a friends brother years back donated to his wife, turned out he was a perfect match. Anyways the donor kidney was perfect, but the story turns....

with the doctor monitoring her progress rehab etc. The start having an affair. Marriage obviously fails, and in a year or so he stars experiencing issues with his remaining kidney. Don't know how his brother is doing, we have not connected in some time.

It's really a shame he could not seek custody back in the divorce.

His story is an exception. It truly is a generous act of kindness

Wow that is quite the story. The screening process is quite lengthy to try to avoid obviously complications later down the road. Also the donor and recipient teams are completely separate to make sure that as a candidate you are actually the best option. Thye only allow approximately 20% through.

Back
Top Bottom