Push fit PEX fittings | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Push fit PEX fittings

Is it pex or wirsbo that you have in your house? Pex uses copper rings that get crimped on after a 't' or union are inserted whereas wirsbo has a plastic sleeve over the end of the tube, and both the tube and sleeve are expanded together with a tool that looks like a rivet gun. Once expanded the 't' or union is inserted into the tube and held for 10 seconds. The expanded tube then contracts and creates the seal. The wirsbo expanding tool is stupidly expensive for what it is, but I prefer the system to pex.

Is it pex or wirsbo that you have in your house? Pex uses copper rings that get crimped on after a 't' or union are inserted whereas wirsbo has a plastic sleeve over the end of the tube, and both the tube and sleeve are expanded together with a tool that looks like a rivet gun. Once expanded the 't' or union is inserted into the tube and held for 10 seconds. The expanded tube then contracts and creates the seal. The wirsbo expanding tool is stupidly expensive for what it is, but I prefer the system to pex.

The fittings I see on the lines I found look like crimps. I have a marine aquarium that I need to expand with some pipe work to a sump/pump and skimmer so I might invest in the crimping tool and fittings and use that for everything.

If you go the PEX route, there are many models of crimper on the market. Some just squeeze like big pliers and some have an adjustability so you get a perfect crimp, there is a go/no go gauge to check your compression on a ring, you can actually overcrimp a fitting.
Invest in a tubing cutter so you get nice clean square ends on your cuts.
CTC and princess auto are always putting the crimpers on sale, they are ok for a guy thats not a plumber and using it daily.

On a basement project with a friend he wanted to go push fit, the difference in price between PEX vs. sharkbite paid for the tools and a lifetime (for him) of clamp rings.

If you go the PEX route, there are many models of crimper on the market. Some just squeeze like big pliers and some have an adjustability so you get a perfect crimp, there is a go/no go gauge to check your compression on a ring, you can actually overcrimp a fitting.
Invest in a tubing cutter so you get nice clean square ends on your cuts.
CTC and princess auto are always putting the crimpers on sale, they are ok for a guy thats not a plumber and using it daily.

On a basement project with a friend he wanted to go push fit, the difference in price between PEX vs. sharkbite paid for the tools and a lifetime (for him) of clamp rings.

Done, finished. Used the crimper borrowed from a friend and the gauge All told I was done in about 10 mins for cutting existing pipe, inserting a "T" with a short length of PEX to a ball valve reducer to the braided line. Surprisingly easy.

Excellent, when we installed fridge with water and ice maker , I wont say it changed our lives, but it certainly did improve things.

Excellent, when we installed fridge with water and ice maker , I wont say it changed our lives, but it certainly did improve things.

Make sure you clean it out regularly.. There's a reason I never get ice in restaurants lol

Fittings are all good but super slow drip from water dispenser in new fridge. Not amused....I'll give it a day to see if the seals and junctions seat a bit better after delivery. Any ideas?

Could be a dry seal, let it be for a day or so sometimes they swell up and stop leaking, other times not and it might need to be replaced, you have warranty if it don't stop have fridge replaced or the dripping fixed

It's even slower today but still there. Hope it stops or can be repaired...I had to remove my patio door to get the damn thing in.

I hate plumbing,looked at my rear outdoor faucet and its busted.

Ouch...flood? Anyhow...not sure if you can use PEX for outdoor applications (doubt it as I'd imagine the plastic would become brittle at very low temps) but if you can it's dead simple!

Back
Top Bottom