Rustproof Spray For Exhausts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rustproof Spray For Exhausts

Boots

Hey guys. This isn't really for my bike but I ordered a muffler for my car that's made of alumnized steel. From what I've read, that stuff rusts easily. Other Exhausts are out of the question because this is what I'm looking for.

My question is, are rust proof sprays okay to use on mufflers? I'm worried that the heat from the exhaust will either start a chemical reaction with the rustproof sprays or that the heat will just make it ineffective.

Anyone have experience with this? If yes what spray do you recommend if it doesn't affect the performance of the spray

It will rust out from the inside there is nothing you can do but replace it when it rusts out.

sent from a device using a program

True. But the exhaust rusting from both sides is far worse than the exhaust rusting from one side. Might even spray the inside of the pipe because there are some parts that are straight through

It'll burn off and the heat wrap will hold moisture/salt causing it to rust even faster. Ceramic coating is your option or paint with BBQ paint.

It'll burn off and the heat wrap will hold moisture/salt causing it to rust even faster. Ceramic coating is your option or paint with BBQ paint.
Sweet. I'll most likely go with the BBQ paint seems like the best option for me.

The paint is suseptable to road debris and will chip off easily. You may need to redo it yearly.

The paint is suseptable to road debris and will chip off easily. You may need to redo it yearly.

Thanks for the heads up.

I plan on taking the muffler off and putting the stock one back on for the winter anyways because I leave for university as early as 7 on some days and I don't want to be inconsiderate to my neighbors who may be sleeping at that time. So when the exhaust is off for the winter I'll slap on a fresh coat and check for any chips. Thanks again, didn't think about that.

Edit: even though it's not *that* loud taking it off when the salt is on the roads in the winter will also preserve it too. The process of taking it off and putting it back on doesnt bother me.

Here's a clip of it, not too loud but I still don't wanna be that guy on the street.

[video=youtube;bBlO2UACWuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlO2UACWuE[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up.

I plan on taking the muffler off and putting the stock one back on for the winter anyways because I leave for university as early as 7 on some days and I don't want to be inconsiderate to my neighbors who may be sleeping at that time. So when the exhaust is off for the winter I'll slap on a fresh coat and check for any chips. Thanks again, didn't think about that.

Edit: even though it's not *that* loud taking it off when the salt is on the roads in the winter will also preserve it too. The process of taking it off and putting it back on doesnt bother me.

Here's a clip of it, not too loud but I still don't wanna be that guy on the street.

My wrx has a full header/catless upipe with a 3" turbo back exhaust and I was leaving at 6. I was that guy but tried to be quiet. Also my exhaust is 7 years old and in perfect shape. It's from Ultimate racing which is local in scarbrough. Not sure if they offer anything for the BRZ/FRS but they're a good company to deal with.

My wrx has a full header/catless upipe with a 3" turbo back exhaust and I was leaving at 6. I was that guy but tried to be quiet. Also my exhaust is 7 years old and in perfect shape. It's from Ultimate racing which is local in scarbrough. Not sure if they offer anything for the BRZ/FRS but they're a good company to deal with.
I'll check em out if I ever plan to do anything from the cat to headers.

Uh...I bought a set of ss reverse cone mufflers from Cone Engineering. When I got 'em the inside perf tube was already showing signs of rust. Perf tubes were steel. Further communication with the company revealed ss perf tube in ss muffler would promote cracking and if I'm entering my bike in concour de elegance I can always spritz black paint inside.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can't ceramic coat if muffler contains any kind of packing. I had mid muffler on BMW ceramic coated 4 or 5 years ago. no rust, mind you it only sees low mileage and good weather.

Pay attention to Scuba Steve. The corrosion from exhaust gases and moisture accumulating will eat it from inside out. Happens eventually with all aluminized steel shells. All exterior treatments are bandaids .

Pay attention to Scuba Steve. The corrosion from exhaust gases and moisture accumulating will eat it from inside out. Happens eventually with all aluminized steel shells. All exterior treatments are bandaids .
Mhm I plan on spraying a little bit of the inside too with BBQ paint.

Back
Top Bottom