Future Shop stores closed across Canada! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Future Shop stores closed across Canada!

Skully

Future Shop stores closed across Canada, some to become Best Buy

Dozens of Future Shop stores have been closed across Canada, its parent company Best Buy Canada Ltd. announced Saturday.

The company said it was shutting down 66 Future Shop stores effective immediately. Meanwhile, another 65 stores will be closed for a week while they're converted to Best Buy stores.

"Due to the consolidation, approximately 500 full-time and 1,000 part-time positions will be eliminated," Best Buy said.

Future Shop was purchased by Best Buy in 2001 for $580 million.

In a statement announcing the latest move, the Burnaby, B.C.-based retailer said it reviewed all locations for both retailers and found some were so close in proximity they shared the same parking lot.

Two years ago, Best Buy spoke of how it had to adapt to a "changing retail landscape" where online stores were winning a greater share of the electronics market as it closed eight Future Shop and seven Best Buy big box stores across the country. LINK

another 1500 jobs, wtf, funny thing, i was in there yesterday looking at tablets, the dude/salesman was great, i think he had no idea what was coming.

Meh. Who didn't see it coming? Some of the stores are close enough to Best Buy locations that it just made no sense. Couple that with the pushy commissioned salespeople and it was never gonna work out. That was the point of the buyout from day one.

Not surprised. I rarely went there unless absolutely necessary. Pushy salespeople full of BS and overpriced crap. Last large purchase I made there was 2005, sales guy was desperately trying to sell me a $230 Monster HDMI cable to go with my new plasma TV. Really turned me off of the place.

I think Best Buy is next, every time I go there the place is empty of customers. Costco is doing well in electronics sales from what I observe. Feel bad about the job losses though.

Not surprised. I rarely went there unless absolutely necessary. Pushy salespeople full of BS and overpriced crap. Last large purchase I made there was 2005, sales guy was desperately trying to sell me a $230 Monster HDMI cable to go with my new plasma TV. Really turned me off of the place.

I think Best Buy is next, every time I go there the place is empty of customers. Costco is doing well in electronics sales from what I observe. Feel bad about the job losses though.

I'm not all that sorry for the employees.

Employees have to evaluate their value to the customer. If the only reason they keep their job or the company stays open is because they can fleece the customer for the $230 HDMI cord or $15 extended warranty on a $40 item they should consider themselves on thin ice.

Next? Many large retailers, everyone is on notice. Anybody selling anything you don't have to see in person or try, like clothes which involves sizing.

Costco kinds will survive the longest.

The retailers for uber wealthy will stick around, and certainly grow as the well-off population does as well.

We must not shop in same best buys as the ones i go to are not annoyingly busy but doing well.

You know what's doing better nowadays? Small boutiques that are independent. A lot of them opening up and doing quite well.

The answer is simple, they provide better service and options. No corporate overlords.

The big retailers became too big too fail with too much infrastructure. I know a few business owners that have made their car/nearby cafe their primary office.

Someone told me tiger direct is done as well.

Tiger Direct is a weird story, for sure. Waaaaaay back, it had good prices on stuff, but then the company had aspirations of becoming a big box retailer for the masses, for some reason. Canada Computers is an alternate version of the story - they didn't go too crazy with most of their locations, and they seem to be doing pretty good

Tiger Direct is a weird story, for sure. Waaaaaay back, it had good prices on stuff, but then the company had aspirations of becoming a big box retailer for the masses, for some reason. Canada Computers is an alternate version of the story - they didn't go too crazy with most of their locations, and they seem to be doing pretty good

Also Tiger Direct had many issues with shady rebate companies, which they owned. After an issue I had, I stopped going there.

what i did learn from the sales dude yesterday fwiw, the new windows 10 is coming out a little later this year(i knew that) and who has windows 7 or 8, can upgrade for free to 10(i didnt know that). this is the info he gave me. i asked is it worth waiting for 10 to come out, he said it didnt matter, as long as the deal is good on the device go for it, and upgrade later or buy later, whichever comes first.

Also Tiger Direct had many issues with shady rebate companies, which they owned. After an issue I had, I stopped going there.
Likewise. I got sick of rebates that never paid out. Stopped using them when they started going "retail".

Back in the day TigerDirect was a great place to go buy pc parts for cheap. Then they started carrying tvs and other **** and really diluted what they wanted to be. Selling refurbished pcs as brand new also ****** a lot of ppl off.

Online places such as newegg really cut into tigerdirect profits.

Back
Top Bottom