How would insurance handle this? Closeline off bike due to "pranksters" | GTAMotorcycle.com

How would insurance handle this? Closeline off bike due to "pranksters"

CruisnGrrl

Site Supporter
That video makes me want to hurt some idiots

My guess is they'd have to pay out. Wasn't the riders fault that was there. I mean we pay for our insurance because they are supposed to insure us that we will be covered when we need it so if they wouldn't pay up then they're kind of going against their own mission statement which is embarrassing. If they denied my claim I would call them and ask them what we are we paying thousands of dollars a year for? (rhetorical question)

Insurance would cover it, unless they could prove you strung the wire and then drove into it.. just to file a claim. It would also if they were caught result in charges for the person who placed it there and of course the lawsuits. Not just against the person who placed it there but also the property owner, (your responsible for stuff on your property)

Insurance would cover it, unless they could prove you strung the wire and then drove into it.. just to file a claim. It would also if they were caught result in charges for the person who placed it there and of course the lawsuits. Not just against the person who placed it there but also the property owner, (your responsible for stuff on your property)

So city is responsible if it happens in the city? Or hydro because they own the pole? Or county/province if it's outside the city?

Criminal intent may change the at fault though? How is the city/hydro responsible for an idiot stringing stuff across a road?

Would be up to the civil court, for the most part, you are correct, all the city would be required to show was that it was unauthorized and was unknown or likely to be unknown to them, (say an unused roadway parking lot etc.). But if you could prove that the city had been made aware of it, Reported by someone a few days earlier, then they would likely still be held liable as they didn't take corrective action to remove it. If it was a regularly traveled road then they would be able to argue it must be "relatively new item" as no one had reported it.

Same applies to potholes if they have a record of it and didn't repair it, (Reasonable time if I recall is under 3 days), or place markers, (pylons etc) around it then they can be found liable.

Criminal intent may change the at fault though? How is the city/hydro responsible for an idiot stringing stuff across a road?

Back
Top Bottom