Lane splitting | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane splitting

It has been said before, on many occasions. Those studies were performed in places where lane splitting has been the norm for decades. It doesn't reflect the situation here, nor anywhere else if lane splitting suddenly became legal.

"Lane splitting" with a bicycle is nowhere in the same ball park.

This calls for driver and rider education imo. Taking approach of "we never did this here so we will ban it even though there are proven benefits for traffic and safety" is a bad approach.

Also, how is it not in the same ballpark?
Both are on 2 wheels. One pedal propelled one motor.
Width wise, motorcycle is a bit thicker but not by much.
Motorcycle is heavier, but once again it makes little difference if you roll by in a straight line.
As for speed, the way I see it done, it's done at low speeds. Bicycles are capable of going over the speed I can see bikes filter at.

This calls for driver and rider education imo. Taking approach of "we never did this here so we will ban it even though there are proven benefits for traffic and safety" is a bad approach.

Also, how is it not in the same ballpark?
Both are on 2 wheels. One pedal propelled one motor.
Width wise, motorcycle is a bit thicker but not by much.
Motorcycle is heavier, but once again it makes little difference if you roll by in a straight line.
As for speed, the way I see it done, it's done at low speeds. Bicycles are capable of going over the speed I can see bikes filter at.

It's not in the same ballpark because one is a "vehicle", while the other is a "motor vehicle." That has certain connotations under the law. It's not the same because people have permitted bicycles to pass them to the right since cars have existed. Splitting between lanes is also illegal for bicycles. Incidentally, it's illegal for bicycles to pass to the right, but it's one of those things that has been accepted over time. Not so with motorcycles.

It's not in the same ballpark because one is a "vehicle", while the other is a "motor vehicle." That has certain connotations under the law. It's not the same because people have permitted bicycles to pass them to the right since cars have existed. Splitting between lanes is also illegal for bicycles. Incidentally, it's illegal for bicycles to pass to the right, but it's one of those things that has been accepted over time. Not so with motorcycles.

Ah, that's understandable.
I was thinking between them in terms of physical differences than by law.

We never used to slow down and move over for emergency vehicles at the side of the road, we do now, it's the law.

Ha! Spend ten minutes watching traffic at Bathurst and Lakeshore. I've seen cars slow down, stop, then decide they want to race the firetruck from a standing start, across the intersection. On MANY occasions.

In a different world, I would like to see firetrucks equipped with giant plows so they can just push through the ****-for-brain idiots who are each deaf, dumb and blind, and can't be bothered to even flinch at the sound of a siren.

Ha! Spend ten minutes watching traffic at Bathurst and Lakeshore. I've seen cars slow down, stop, then decide they want to race the firetruck from a standing start, across the intersection. On MANY occasions.

In a different world, I would like to see firetrucks equipped with giant plows so they can just push through the ****-for-brain idiots who are each deaf, dumb and blind, and can't be bothered to even flinch at the sound of a siren.

You basically just summed up what I was going to say. Out here in the sticks no one moves, yet if it was their house on fire or someone robbing them they'd want the emergency services there asap. We have a lot of the elite entitled from the gta up this way. It sucks.

As for splitting here, won't happen in my lifetime and I have a few years left to go.

Yeah, what Rob said. People here would probably let scooters and ebikes filter too because they have seen it when on vacation in Europe or the islands... Not so with motorcycles..

I wouldn't trust the people here to be able to ride in a straight line,
never mind between two moving cars, at a slightly greater speed.

Hang in there bro.

We just need to bump up Toronto a few places up in the congestion rankings then filtering will naturally work its way in, I hope.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_ca/trafficindex/#/

4747TorontoCanada

<tbody>
</tbody>
This.

Cops don't stop anyone doing 10 over in the city (school zones aside), or anyone doing 20 over on the highways because EVERYONE's doing it. The more common filtering becomes, the less it will be enforced.

This.

Cops don't stop anyone doing 10 over in the city (school zones aside), or anyone doing 20 over on the highways because EVERYONE's doing it. The more common filtering becomes, the less it will be enforced.
My buddy got pulled over for doing 10 over.... On an on ramp... Don't know why he didn't fight that.

I used to be completely against lane splitting. But I'm spending 2 months in Brazil and I'm using my cousins bike. I can tell you my opinion has changed drastically.

I think I'll find it really hard not to lane split when I'm back. But the main problem are the drivers in Toronto. People in Toronto were taught to drive defensive, thus completely oblivious to their surrounding. This makes lane splitting in Toronto is very dangerous.

I used to be completely against lane splitting. But I'm spending 2 months in Brazil and I'm using my cousins bike. I can tell you my opinion has changed drastically.

I think I'll find it really hard not to lane split when I'm back. But the main problem are the drivers in Toronto. People in Toronto were taught to drive defensive, thus completely oblivious to their surrounding. This makes lane splitting in Toronto is very dangerous.
... that doesnt make sense

i guess prolly a typo. but yeah if you drive defensively you drive according to your surroundings. no?

... that doesnt make sense

i guess prolly a typo. but yeah if you drive defensively you drive according to your surroundings. no?
It should be, but not necessarily.

A lot of the defensive driving is based on driving slow and avoiding lane changes. That makes people become lazy because they stop paying attention to the road and their mirrors. Because of the lack of need to be attentive, they star to day dream, pay more attention to their conversation, or even worse, their phones. What I call the zombie drivers... Which is very common in Toronto.

Yeah, what Rob said. People here would probably let scooters and ebikes filter too because they have seen it when on vacation in Europe or the islands... Not so with motorcycles..

For whatever reason, even without the vacations abroad, most drivers tend to think of scooters as being more like bicycles than motorcycles. Even the Powers That Be had given them a pass for years over the sidewalk parking thing, when they are clearly motor vehicles and not permitted to park there.

This.

My buddy got pulled over for doing 10 over.... On an on ramp... Don't know why he didn't fight that.

I was pulled over for 10 over on the Queensway before. I'm not buying your argument. If you were to say that more motorcyclists, bicyclists, pedestrians would be injured/killed, and cars/trucks damaged, I might.

Like I've said before many don't know how to ride at slow speed. Splitting is an excuse to ignore that vital skill.
The problem is, that splitting is supposed to be done at slow speed. So you're asking for the clueless to now be skipped ahead a class, based upon their laziness. They can't ride at slow speeds, so they won't. Rather than having low speed pedestrians mixed with bicycles, filtering through traffic, you want to add much higher speed vehicles to the mix.

Like I've said before many don't know how to ride at slow speed. Splitting is an excuse to PRACTICE that vital skill.
Fixed.

And why do most people assume splitting is done at breakneck speeds? I just want to keep moving. Airflow through jacket, and airflow through radiator on hot days is quite nice. Not to mention the not getting rear-ended part, or the get home/work/mistress sooner part.

Fixed.

And why do most people assume splitting is done at breakneck speeds? I just want to keep moving. Airflow through jacket, and airflow through radiator on hot days is quite nice. Not to mention the not getting rear-ended part, or the get home/work/mistress sooner part.

Perhaps because most of the splitting that we've seen has been at speeds that would have been illegal in a place like California?

I was pulled over for 10 over on the Queensway before. I'm not buying your argument. If you were to say that more motorcyclists, bicyclists, pedestrians would be injured/killed, and cars/trucks damaged, I might.

Like I've said before many don't know how to ride at slow speed.

Riding in stop and go traffic is an excuse to PRACTICE that vital skill.

Fixed.

Fixed your fix. ;)

You forgot the "I have an air-cooled engine" excuse. I've never been rear ended on a bike. Everyone, in that mess wants to be home sooner. I simply planned my route and start time a little better, and bypassed most of the traffic.

Back
Top Bottom