Lane splitting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane splitting

mroheemun

I was wondering if Lane Splitting on stopped traffic is legal, i understand that lane splitting while traffic is moving is illegal and not very safe in Canada since other drivers aren't used to it but what if i'm sitting at a red light can i split all the way to the front?

Thanks

What you are referring to is generally known as "filtering" and, as far as the law is concerned, it's really no different from splitting. In other words illegal.

Illegal but sometimes i still do it when traffic is really jammed up. You will be long gone before the cops is able to pull you over.

Not worried about getting stopped more concerned with some self important dick dooring me. Even if I avoided the door, likely to lead to an unpleasant exchange, and someone will report that too..lol. Yes I know the dooring jerk will get charged but so will the rider. To me getting to my destination 3 seconds later but intact is more important.

Illegal but sometimes i still do it when traffic is really jammed up. You will be long gone before the cops is able to pull you over.

Wheelie while you're filtering so if someone tries to door you, you won't highside.

That is sound advice right there!

Ive always wanted to see a guy on a trials bike get thru a jam by riding over peoples cars...

Last edited:

Same here, couple times even given the "peace" sign to stuck cruisers and just (nervously) giggle inside my helmet.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't try it. In Cali they're used to bikes zipping up between the lanes... Actually it's illegal for a car to interfere with a bike splitting lanes and its a hefty fine if you do. However here in the land of spaced out car drivers, I wouldn't even attempt it.

I'm a 911 dispatcher and, until recently, worked for Peel Police.
I took a few 911 calls for filtering motorcycles. I remember one time actually replying "so?"

Point is it bothers people enough to dial 911 and some old dispatchers are daft enough to enter it through as an actual call.

Bloody pointless if you ask me but its illegal and people suck.

I'm a 911 dispatcher and, until recently, worked for Peel Police.
I took a few 911 calls for filtering motorcycles. I remember one time actually replying "so?"

Point is it bothers people enough to dial 911 and some old dispatchers are daft enough to enter it through as an actual call.

Bloody pointless if you ask me but its illegal and people suck.

Oh my god. This actually struck a nerve with me.
There is literally NO IMPACT to the driver if a motorcyclist splits past them. But no, they must get very upset over it like I just **** in their lunch.
I've only gotten a negative reaction when trying to do it on a motorcycle. (I have tried it a few times, both times somebody got upset at me going past them in gridlock)

But in the meantime, I split day and night past cars on a bicycle in rush hour and cars actually move a little bit in their lane to give me more room! Explain that way of thinking.

Oh my god. This actually struck a nerve with me.
There is literally NO IMPACT to the driver if a motorcyclist splits past them. But no, they must get very upset over it like I just **** in their lunch.
I've only gotten a negative reaction when trying to do it on a motorcycle. (I have tried it a few times, both times somebody got upset at me going past them in gridlock)

But in the meantime, I split day and night past cars on a bicycle in rush hour and cars actually move a little bit in their lane to give me more room! Explain that way of thinking.

^^ This.

Yeah, I wouldn't try it. In Cali they're used to bikes zipping up between the lanes... Actually it's illegal for a car to interfere with a bike splitting lanes and its a hefty fine if you do. However here in the land of spaced out car drivers, I wouldn't even attempt it.

I only filter when it's a stand still, but I'd lose it if an asshat attempted something out of frustration that I can leave and s/he is stuck.

Be that as it may, it's still illegal. If some jackass decides he's going to give you the mirror then it's going to be pretty tough to prove it was on purpose, since you're the one who is where he shouldn't be.

I've only lane split on two occasions. Once was when specifically directed to do so by OPP. The other time was on the 401 eastbound when traffic was at a complete standstill, between 410 and 427, because of a collision. I was splitting to try and get to the breakdown lane because my air cooled bike was starting to sputter and act up, indicating that it was overheating. No one would let me get over and several drivers actively blocked me, so I ended up splitting right up to the collision site and getting where I was going faster than the morons who wouldn't let me park it.

Like Rob said, I'd be more worried at the guys in the cars who would purposely block you out.

There is literally NO IMPACT to the driver if a motorcyclist splits past them.

theres also no impact to shooting a gun in the air, going 100kph in a subdivision, wheelieing, etc. until something unexpected happens, ie, someone wanders in the way not know of the coming action,.

theres also no impact to shooting a gun in the air, going 100kph in a subdivision, wheelieing, etc. until something unexpected happens, ie, someone wanders in the way not know of the coming action,.

If you guys only knew the average intelligence of cagers in Toronto....... For this reason, no matter how narrow my bike is. Even if it was legal, I'd never do it.

Jealousy. Nothing else.
Last year a cager was taking pictures of me and my body doing this.
I don't know how, but few minutes later the OPP caught up to us.
He let us go with a warning.

Right, except there are studies suggesting lane splitting is actually safer than not, so I don't think it's even in the same ballpark to compare it to speeding and stunting. In fact, your comparison is laughable. What do you think of when I say lane splitting? Do you imagine a bike doing a rolling burnout at 150km/h on a highway? Because I'm imagining rolling past going 20km/h.
Once again, as somebody who has split almost every day for the past 3 years on a bicycle in traffic with ZERO hassle from cops and other cars, as well as no close calls I am inclined to say it's safe.
There's also a reason it's been made legal in some counties now.

Right, except there are studies suggesting lane splitting is actually safer than not, so I don't think it's even in the same ballpark to compare it to speeding and stunting. In fact, your comparison is laughable. What do you think of when I say lane splitting? Do you imagine a bike doing a rolling burnout at 150km/h on a highway? Because I'm imagining rolling past going 20km/h.
Once again, as somebody who has split almost every day for the past 3 years on a bicycle in traffic with ZERO hassle from cops and other cars, as well as no close calls I am inclined to say it's safe.
There's also a reason it's been made legal in some counties now.

It has been said before, on many occasions. Those studies were performed in places where lane splitting has been the norm for decades. It doesn't reflect the situation here, nor anywhere else if lane splitting suddenly became legal.

"Lane splitting" with a bicycle is nowhere in the same ball park.

Back
Top Bottom