Headlight laws '77 Yamaha | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headlight laws '77 Yamaha

That would be my understanding of the HTA. Bikes manufactured after 1970 need lights on while operating at all times; however, there is no mention of whether they are required to automatically come on with the ignition.

Just to make things confusing, the requirements for the actual safety inspection/certificate are a bit different than the regular HTA operational requirements listed above:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900611_e.htm#BK11

(2)**The headlamp, tail lamp and licence plate lamp on a motorcycle manufactured on or after the 1st day of January, 1975 shall be continuously illuminated when the engine is operating and each forward gear is engaged.

From what I can tell, these requirements are typically just used during the inspection, so if you want to do things by the book for the safety, just bypass the switch and hardwire the headlight on all the time when the bike is running. What you do with the switch after that point is up to you, given that the more general HTA regulations only require the light be on while you are on the road rather than while the bike is running, and that you already plan to comply with that.

I have no idea why the requirements are different

Not really confusing, read it carefully....

(2)**The headlamp, tail lamp and licence plate lamp on a motorcycle manufactured on or after the 1st day of January, 1975 shall be continuously illuminated when the engine is operating and each forward gear is engaged.

Therefore, under NORMAL conditions, if the bike is IN gear your probably "on a road" which is when the HTA says the lamp must be on. If the bike is in neutral, in your driveway then the lamp need not be on, (or while starting the bike, UNLESS your in the habit of starting the bike IN gear) which would be pretty difficult given it is a kick start only...LOL

So bottom line is weather for safety, OR HTA, the headlamp MUST be on ONLY when the bike is IN gear, (safety), or on a road, (HTA). for starting the bike the lamp need NOT be on.

Thats where i got confused, looks like i have some re-wiring to do. sucks.

Highly unlikely your bike will get flagged for the light switch. BTW there is a permanent magnet rotor conversion available for the XS650 and is a popular upgrade. The generator brushes wear out quickly and you'll always need to carry a pair on the bike in case.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom