First Bike. decision dilemma. | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Bike. decision dilemma.

defeater905

Hey all, so I'm about to get my license and first bike. I want a dual sport but a supermoto might be more suitable for my uses, as i'll be riding mostly street with some off road riding the occasional weekend.

I've basically had my mind up for a long time on a drz400sm. I've spent lots of time this winter lurking thumpertalk drz forum basically obsessing about this dsmn bike. Lol

Anyways, my buddy just found me a 2006 klx250 for so cheap and very few kms that I'm now wondering, do I just pickup the klx as my first bike and upgrade to drz next year? Or do I say **** it and get what I want this year?

I'm sure the klx is a great bike but I'm concerned about the power, or lack of it since I do live right off the hwy. The klx is only 30lbs lighter than drz but about 10 fewer HP. Also, I'm 6'4" 205 lbs.

Anyone have experience with these bikes and can steer me in the right direction? I understand its a decision only I can make and my gut says just get the drz but my wallet says get the klx..

Thanks

Last edited:
Riding is about the gut get the drz.

Hey all, so I'm about to get my license and first bike. I want a dual sport but a supermoto might be more suitable for my uses, as i'll be riding mostly street with some off road riding the occasional weekend.

I've basically had my mind up for a long time on a drz400sm. I've spent lots of time this winter lurking thumpertalk drz forum basically obsessing about this dsmn bike. Lol

Anyways, my buddy just found me a 2006 klx250 for so cheap and very few kms that I'm now wondering, do I just pickup the klx as my first bike and upgrade to drz next year? Or do I say **** it and get what I want this year?

I'm sure the klx is a great bike but I'm concerned about the power, or lack of it since I do live right off the hwy. The klx is only 30lbs lighter than drz but about 10 fewer HP. Also, I'm 6'4" 205 lbs.

Anyone have experience with these bikes and can steer me in the right direction? I understand its a decision only I can make and my gut says just get the drz but my wallet says get the klx..

Thanks

Can't do hwy on 250.... Ride safe

I agree inreb, I'm conflicted though because I was raised by a dutch accountant. So I'm really friggin' cheap sometimes and it's hard to pass on a deal. hahaha

OMG, ur just like me. I got my m2 just before winter started. I wanted a drz400sm also. I spent all winter reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie. In February I found a deal I oils not.pass. a 08 drz400 with 12k km in blue for $3900. I bought it on the same day ad was posted. I couldn't be more happy. This is my first bike and yesterday I rode it for the first time. Holly **** is it perfect. Got my heart pumping from the acceleration. I felt like I could pop a wheelie on demand.
I really reccomend you buy the drz400sm. Also if you ever want to ride. Let me know. I'm looking for supermoto riding buddies.

I If you can make money on the KLX buy it sell it and then buy the DRZ.

Was kind of thinkign the same thing, but I'm not much of a wheeler and dealer. My buddy who found the KLX for me is always buying -fixing up bikes and selling them and always making a bit of profit.

OMG, ur just like me. I got my m2 just before winter started. I wanted a drz400sm also. I spent all winter reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie. In February I found a deal I oils not.pass. a 08 drz400 with 12k km in blue for $3900. I bought it on the same day ad was posted. I couldn't be more happy. This is my first bike and yesterday I rode it for the first time. Holly **** is it perfect. Got my heart pumping from the acceleration. I felt like I could pop a wheelie on demand.
I really reccomend you buy the drz400sm. Also if you ever want to ride. Let me know. I'm looking for supermoto riding buddies.

Awesome man! Congrats. I'm jealous. Where abouts are you? I'm in Hamilton. I'll def. be looking for people to ride with.

I If you can make money on the KLX buy it sell it and then buy the DRZ.

You still have to pay taxes on it... also it takes time to sell. And thier is always risk of getting a lemon bike... I wouldn't bother buying it just to sell for a small profit... not worth the time and risk.

Last edited:
if it's in good mechanical shape and a great deal, buy it as your first bike and sell when you've got your feet wet or it's not enough for you. If it's a great deal you won't loose buying and selling. It's your first bike, not your last. Or keep it and get the DRZ too.

The
klx is a great bike but you would get blown around on the highway any time a bus or truck passes you. My friend has one and keeps up with us on the secondary roads and trails. I liked riding it on the logging roads but the gas tak is small too. Noting a RotoPax won't fix. The 400 is a good size and can go anywhere with the right tires. Used Klx usually don't last long. I was going to get one for my son.

RR

Ive owned a DRZ400SM in the past, it was a fun bike and I recommend it as a first bike. Lots of aftermarket to upgrade it for more power as long as your wallet can handle it.

Was kind of thinkign the same thing, but I'm not much of a wheeler and dealer. My buddy who found the KLX for me is always buying -fixing up bikes and selling them and always making a bit of profit.

Awesome man! Congrats. I'm jealous. Where abouts are you? I'm in Hamilton. I'll def. be looking for people to ride with.

I'm in Burlington
Let me know when you get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do the insurance companies say?

I'm going with a DRZ. I let my buddy buy the KLX if he wants to "flip" it.

Insurance for a 2014 drz is going to start at about $1400/yr for me with zero riding experience. Not bundled with a car. Through Seamus Kelly @ SF Hamilton. I'm planning on going used (or older than 2014), not sure if that will lower my insurance rate or not?

Last edited:
I'm going with a DRZ. I let my buddy buy the KLX if he wants to "flip" it.

Insurance for a 2014 drz is going to start at about $1400/yr for me with zero riding experience. Not bundled with a car. Through Seamus Kelly @ SF Hamilton. I'm planning on going used (or older than 2014), not sure if that will lower my insurance rate or not?

The DRZ is a good choice, solid reliable bikes.

With your size the extra torque/hp over the 250CC will definitely come in handy. Not to mention once you do the 3x3 mod, rejet the DRZ will rip.

Back
Top Bottom