Good camera deals....micro 4/3 especially. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good camera deals....micro 4/3 especially.

I believe the 4/3 has raw format. Why wouldnt you want to work with raw? You can squeeze the image much much more compared to jpeg.

Thanks, for this quick and dirty comparison. If I was buying it today, I'd probably take a chance on the New Oly OM-D. I feel that I will never use any pro video features and the fact that the body is stabilized and I can keep using the glass I have will be a bonus.

Can you pls confirm that the files these cameras produce nowadays are easily workable in Final Cut? Or is there some timely transcode needed, which will also bloat the size? I just enjoy too much working with the flawless Oly Jpeg engine when shooting stills (I never needed RAW), So don't want to get caught with the video files.

Thanks

I think the OM-D line shoots to H.264 codec. I don't use FCP but I know Premiere Pro will work with H.264 natively and in Avid I AMA the clips in and rough cut then transcode. On a slow computer H.264 in the OM can bog down the processor as its an IPB frame codec and requires a lot of decompression by the processor to make the intermediate frames. For big projects I usually transcode everything to dnxHD or ProRes for playback stability and processor efficiency. For short commercials and promos I just work with files natively

I think the OM-D line shoots to H.264 codec. I don't use FCP but I know Premiere Pro will work with H.264 natively and in Avid I AMA the clips in and rough cut then transcode. On a slow computer H.264 in the OM can bog down the processor as its an IPB frame codec and requires a lot of decompression by the processor to make the intermediate frames. For big projects I usually transcode everything to dnxHD or ProRes for playback stability and processor efficiency. For short commercials and promos I just work with files natively

What would be your recommendation for a Windows-based laptop for Premiere Pro? I've just started shooting video for work and Premiere Pro is bogging down this old dual-core i5 laptop very quickly.

Actually, a simpler question would be - what's the main bottleneck when editing video in Premiere Pro, CPU speed, RAM or graphics card?

I don't know these things.

What would be your recommendation for a Windows-based laptop for Premiere Pro? I've just started shooting video for work and Premiere Pro is bogging down this old dual-core i5 laptop very quickly.

Actually, a simpler question would be - what's the main bottleneck when editing video in Premiere Pro, CPU speed, RAM or graphics card?

I don't know these things.

Premiere Pro can use Cuda cores on Nvidia cards to assist processor in video playback.

Anything with an i7 processor, 16-32gb ram and a decent gfx card should help. Also switching to SSD drives will help speed things up.

I personally love Mac Laptops and find most PC laptops feel like cheap junk but its hard to pay the premium to get a good gfx card option. I'm on the fence between just getting a small 13" MBP for footage offload and script/pitch writing as I have a large PC workstation in my office but on the other hand I am considering going with a Sager NP8651 laptop to edit while I'm on the road or just to free me up form my desk or office.
http://www.reflexnotebook.ca/laptops-notebooks/screen-size/15-display/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se.html

Thanks. I'd get a MBP, but work only deals with Dell and Lenovo. Current laptop has a SSD, but the rest is lacking. Ima push for a new one.

The lenovo W540 laptop workstation is a beast for video and graphic stuff.

i7 processor and good graphics card will really help your needs.

This what it generates ...

FCP X will do H.264 natively as I just learned, so it should be fine. But ... LJ explained it well, I believe. As you said H.264 Mpeg 4 are mathematically very demanding
It will depend, as always on machine and type of work .... I am on iMac, 3 years old, so we will see. It's good to know there's options.

Thanks for your advise.

Attachments

• oly.jpg
    oly.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom