Yield to traffic inside the intersection | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yield to traffic inside the intersection

In Ontario he does not have right of way either.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK221
Yielding to traffic
( 8 ) When under this section a driver is permitted to proceed, he or she shall yield the right of way to traffic lawfully using an intersection or, where traffic control signals are erected where a private road or driveway meets a highway, lawfully using the area controlled by the traffic control signals. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 ( 8 ); 2006, c. 19, Sched. T, s. 6 (3).

I was actually being sarcastic. Except I believe that he did have the right of way because the cars were actually in the intersection blocking which is illegal in Ontario therefore they aren't lawfully using the area which "should" be the same in Ohio (but I could be wrong).

He could have avoided the collision by negotiating passage with the other driver.

I would be ****** if I were the guy that was sitting there and his bike flew into my car

I believe that he did have the right of way because the cars were actually in the intersection blocking which is illegal in Ontario therefore they aren't lawfully using the area which "should" be the same in Ohio (but I could be wrong).

Where does the HTA say you have to clear the intersection ,, or where does it say, you can't be in a position that blocks the intersection..??

green light, i pull into the intersection ,, adjust speed to avoid stopped car in front.. stall the car.. not used to the manual trans... light goes red... I am just getting it started and going to clear intersection , when MC comes out of the left and BONK,,

Ok,, I understand that Toronto proper has a bylaw or something that says you can not pull into the "box" unless you can clear it... but I am not sure that applies to Ontario.....
just asking.... to learn something...

This guy likes clipping the front of vehicles and then sliding along the road thinking out loud (or with thought bubbles) - "How the hell did that happen!"

Where does the HTA say you have to clear the intersection ,, or where does it say, you can't be in a position that blocks the intersection..??

green light, i pull into the intersection ,, adjust speed to avoid stopped car in front.. stall the car.. not used to the manual trans... light goes red... I am just getting it started and going to clear intersection , when MC comes out of the left and BONK,,

Ok,, I understand that Toronto proper has a bylaw or something that says you can not pull into the "box" unless you can clear it... but I am not sure that applies to Ontario.....
just asking.... to learn something...

Blocking intersection
145. (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit a driver or street car operator approaching, at an intersection, a traffic control signal showing a circular green or green arrow indication from entering the intersection unless traffic in front of him or her is moving in a manner that would reasonably lead him or her to believe he or she can clear the intersection before the signal indication changes to a circular red indication. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (1).

Each municipality in Ontario can make this effective, but how would you know in which municipality it is actually in effect (law)?

Maybe he's trying to pick up women?

Looks around. Oh, I'd hit that . . . and he does.

As much as the rider may be at fault at the hands of insurance, the law etc.

The guy moved up like he knew what he was doing. Watch the video and you won't see the red car in front of him move up at all so why even bother moving if none of the cars in front are moving...

You guys can all act like white knights all you want I'm sure we've all done something similar on the roads, like passing someone who is making an insanely slow lane change in the same lane or something along those lines.

Was he wrong? Technically yes. But the guy in the car was more of a fool than the biker.

Edit: nvm upon further review it seems like he doesn't really even notice the biker until the last moment you can see his head snap so it doesn't seem like he was trying to give him a scare or something. I take back what I said before this edit.

But I'm trying to see if I can get a shot of his head at the time of the Green light to see where exactly he's looking (car in front of him, between his legs at a phone, lala land)

Last edited:
Blocking intersection
145. (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit a driver or street car operator approaching, at an intersection, a traffic control signal showing a circular green or green arrow indication from entering the intersection unless traffic in front of him or her is moving in a manner that would reasonably lead him or her to believe he or she can clear the intersection before the signal indication changes to a circular red indication. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (1).

Each municipality in Ontario can make this effective, but how would you know in which municipality it is actually in effect (law)?

Even if the municipality did enact such a bylaw, that still doesn't turn it into an HTA offence so the vehicle stuck in the middle of the intersection would still be there legally as far as the HTA is concerned.

Either way, there remains an expectation that you just can't go blasting through an intersection if cross-traffic hasn't finished clearing that intersection.

Drivers blocking intersection @ Bay & King today.

Although what I did probably wasn't strictly legal.. sort of blew the yellow; but I didn't want to risk getting stuck behind this ****ery for another traffic light cycle.

Traffic on my side had one lane that squeezed through, but opposite traffic was mother ****ed. Not a single vehicle was able to get through for that light cycle.

You can see at 00:49 the car sitting at the back literally threw his hands up like "what do you want me to do?".

[video=youtube;YzNidiinTDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNidiinTDI[/video]

Last edited:
Who's the ******* laying on the horn?

I believe he wasn't trying to "scare" the rider. As you said after the edit I don't even think he saw the biker. I think he was trying to get as close to the vehicle in front of him in hopes the right lane would then be clear enough for vehicles to get around behind him, (which is where the rider SHOULD have gone).

Man his insurer must love him different bike in the second so perhaps first was a write off then he does this. Hopefully for him the insurer doesn't scan youtube looking for his riding style...

This guy should use the money from his payout to get a CAGE and give up riding.. Third time is the charm...lol

As much as the rider may be at fault at the hands of insurance, the law etc.

The guy moved up like he knew what he was doing. Watch the video and you won't see the red car in front of him move up at all so why even bother moving if none of the cars in front are moving...

You guys can all act like white knights all you want I'm sure we've all done something similar on the roads, like passing someone who is making an insanely slow lane change in the same lane or something along those lines.

Was he wrong? Technically yes. But the guy in the car was more of a fool than the biker.

Edit: nvm upon further review it seems like he doesn't really even notice the biker until the last moment you can see his head snap so it doesn't seem like he was trying to give him a scare or something. I take back what I said before this edit.

But I'm trying to see if I can get a shot of his head at the time of the Green light to see where exactly he's looking (car in front of him, between his legs at a phone, lala land)

Dude basically just rammed his bike into the bumper. Made almost no attempt to avoid, and was generally not being as careful as he should have been. I have no problem with him passing in front of that car but he should've at least done it slow and carefully.

Dude basically just rammed his bike into the bumper. Made almost no attempt to avoid, and was generally not being as careful as he should have been. I have no problem with him passing in front of that car but he should've at least done it slow and carefully.

but but...there's a camera on his helmet, he MUST be invincible?!!? GoPro lied!

Classic road rage. You could tell by his expression at the start. Of course he hasn't come to terms that it was his fault (technically, if not legally), nor was it a 'decision'. It's all raw emotion, just an angry reaction acted out through his throttle.

I'm a little bit worried that no one here has recognized all the signs. Can you guys tell when you drive angry, so you can wind it back a notch?

[video=youtube;0q_o0QKTi-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q_o0QKTi-4[/video]

Rider is a complete idiot, what else can I say.

Classic road rage. You could tell by his expression at the start. Of course he hasn't come to terms that it was his fault (technically, if not legally), nor was it a 'decision'. It's all raw emotion, just an angry reaction acted out through his throttle.

I'm a little bit worried that no one here has recognized all the signs. Can you guys tell when you drive angry, so you can wind it back a notch?

recognize it sure. But it takes time to deal with it. Which isn't always available in the moment.

Drivers blocking intersection @ Bay & King today.

Although what I did probably wasn't strictly legal.. sort of blew the yellow; but I didn't want to risk getting stuck behind this ****ery for another traffic light cycle.

Traffic on my side had one lane that squeezed through, but opposite traffic was mother ****ed. Not a single vehicle was able to get through for that light cycle.

You can see at 00:49 the car sitting at the back literally threw his hands up like "what do you want me to do?".

This type of **** should most certainly be an HTA violation. It is the most senseless and selfish impediment to traffic. If you can't clear the intersection before the light changes, DON'T MOVE INTO IT! Sitting there with your thumb up your *** and a look on your face like it couldn't be helped, all in an effort to move forward a few feet. All the while, crossing traffic is at a stand still for an entire light cycle, being backed up my the block. And it happens at every freakin light, causing insane gridlock. Like watching traffic in the streets of India.

One of the few things which truly inspires rage.

This type of **** should most certainly be an HTA violation. It is the most senseless and selfish impediment to traffic. If you can't clear the intersection before the light changes, DON'T MOVE INTO IT! Sitting there with your thumb up your *** and a look on your face like it couldn't be helped, all in an effort to move forward a few feet. All the while, crossing traffic is at a stand still for an entire light cycle, being backed up my the block. And it happens at every freakin light, causing insane gridlock. Like watching traffic in the streets of India.

One of the few things which truly inspires rage.

I'm pretty it is somewhere. Don't they have blitzes downtown for this exact thing?

I'm pretty it is somewhere. Don't they have blitzes downtown for this exact thing?

It's not illegal to get stuck in the middle of an intersection under the HTA. Municipalities can pass bylaws against it if they wish and Toronto has done so. That is where the blitzes come from.

Back
Top Bottom