What and where are your favourite campgrounds? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What and where are your favourite campgrounds?

regder

Site Supporter
One of the other threads in this forum got me thinking about good campgrounds. Campgrounds are a dime a dozen, but it's always hard to separate the really good ones from the not so good... The good ones though leave you with fond memories for a long time.

Hoping to do a lot more moto-camping this year and could use some ideas. What are some of your favourite campgrounds that you've stayed at? Location doesn't matter, this is the touring forum

Good thread and looking forward to finding out some recommended camping spots. Camping in Ontario provincial parks can be pretty expensive, but there are some really nice spots. Often I also find that if you go to a provincial park, you can put two bikes / two tents in one spot and they won't charge extra. A few I have really liked:

Ontario:
Wilberforce area: Riverbank Cottages and RV Park - only 15 minutes to Elephant Lake Rd and riverside camp spots - been there many times!
Parry Sound area: Grundy Lake Provincial Park - very scenic, good short hikes and spots available on long weekends
Timmins area: La Cache Campground - quiet and cheap with rustic cabins if it's a bit too cold
Wawa area: Pukaskwa National Park, White Lake Provincial Park - both of these are great with lots of good hiking around

US:
Allegheny area: Hearts Content Recreation area - huge forested sites - very quiet and tons of hiking
Skyline Drive: Lewis Mountain Campground - beautiful location and right off Skyline Drive
BRP: Willville Bike Camp - very nice guy and cheap spots for bikes only about $15/night - lots of maps and he knows area very well
BRP: Doughton Campground - right off the BRP and very nice quiet place with huge level tent pads
Smoky's: Ironhorse Lodge - tent spots right beside a nice creek - only $15/night
Smoky's: River Valley Campground - in Cherokee NC and awesome waters edge spots

Cypress Lake, Bruce Peninsula, the water is like warm soup and a 40 minute hike to the Grotto on Georgian Bay gets you a very refreshing swim or cave dive if adventurous. Camp sites are nice too. And the road in is a bit of a snake.

We used to go to Pog Lake in Algonquin every year, then switched to the Pinery near Grand Bend.

Haven't been many places since the move.

Killarney Provincial Park

Nice, should try some of those mentioned.

So much to do during summer so little time

Anywhere we can find a level spot for tents, a supply of fire wood and can't be seen from the road - AKA vagrant camping.
Few amenities but you get what you pay for .....

A couple of very good campgrounds in the US:
- Lake Placid / Whiteface Mtn KOA - it's a very nice area and a good campground, lots of activities in the area, be it with the family or just a ride
- Townsend / Great Smokies KOA - tubing right off the campgrounds, Smokies, Gap, etc

I have motorcycle camped every year for over 30 years and would say that the provincial campgrounds in Ontario are mostly all good. Lately have enjoyed Awenda more times than any other park, since you can ride into town if you need anything and the showers are clean. We have been avoiding Algonquin for bike camping.

I do a lot of KOA camping, it is pricey luxurious camping. They have everything you need and some of them are right at the edge of small towns. I have the annual membership so you get a discount at every campsite.

I haven't found a nice enough campsite along hwy 60 to bother with. There is no where to get anything that is nearby.

Back
Top Bottom