DIY Rusty Tank Cleaning | GTAMotorcycle.com

DIY Rusty Tank Cleaning

Kozy_750

I'm wondering what you have done to clean a rusty gas tank, the inside, not the outside. I have an old Honda CT70 tank that needs a cleaning, it has some rust. I have heard of cider vinigar to remove rust but was asked today at work "Why not CLR?" I thought, hmmmmm........ why not CLR?
Let me know if you have any ideas or have had good luck with using something at home to clean your tank out.
Cheers!

Clr doesn't work as effectively as 10% acid vinegar (heinz, food basics). Be prepared, it will flash rust as quick as you please, have a rust inhibiting spray handy or be prepared to fill the tank with gas.

i have a KREEM kit if your interested.. 3 step process.. or just hit it with muratic acid and water 60/40 use a bunch of large nuts and bolts and shake first. get out the loose rust. but ya it will start to rust quick need to get gas back in fast.

You can get evapo-rust at any canadian tire store for only $10 per bottle. or drive to the states and get them for $20 per gallon'

I've used electrolysis on two badly rusted tanks and it works phenomenally, cost is basically zero if you have a battery charger.

I've used electrolysis on two badly rusted tanks and it works phenomenally, cost is basically zero if you have a battery charger.

More details, please.

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

The tank on one of my CT70's was rusted, I ordered one from Honda Canada and it was in stock!!! That was about 3-4 years ago.
It was cheap too, but can't remember exact price.

More details, please.

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600
Sorry for the late response. You simply drain the gas tank of fuel, remove the petcock and block the petcock opening with duct tape. Then fill the tank with water all the way to the top and add 1 tablespoon of baking per every gallon of water.

Next you will need a small piece of steel, I use the handles off of paint cans. It cannot be stainless steel otherwise it will produce toxic gases. Then I take a hockey puck, drill a small hole in it and insert the steel rod so it fit snug and protrudes out each side. Place the puck over the opening of the fuel tank (the rubber prevents you from shorting out the circuit). Connect the POSITIVE lead from your battery charger on to the piece of steel and the ground lead to the tank. Turn the charger on and the process will begin.

After about 8 hours the rust is gone from the inside of the tank and it will be stuck on the piece of steel.

Sorry for the late response. You simply drain the gas tank of fuel, remove the petcock and block the petcock opening with duct tape. Then fill the tank with water all the way to the top and add 1 tablespoon of baking per every gallon of water.

Next you will need a small piece of steel, I use the handles off of paint cans. It cannot be stainless steel otherwise it will produce toxic gases. Then I take a hockey puck, drill a small hole in it and insert the steel rod so it fit snug and protrudes out each side. Place the puck over the opening of the fuel tank (the rubber prevents you from shorting out the circuit). Connect the POSITIVE lead from your battery charger on to the piece of steel and the ground lead to the tank. Turn the charger on and the process will begin.

After about 8 hours the rust is gone from the inside of the tank and it will be stuck on the piece of steel.

Very cool. Never heard that one before. Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try the electrolysis method. any idea what setting on my charger would work best? (.9Amp,2Amp, 5Amp, 10Amp)
Also, regarding this; "add 1 tablespoon of baking per every gallon of water." What are you referring too? Baking Soda or Baking Powder?
I like the hockey puck idea, clever!!!

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try the electrolysis method. any idea what setting on my charger would work best? (.9Amp,2Amp, 5Amp, 10Amp)
Also, regarding this; "add 1 tablespoon of baking per every gallon of water." What are you referring too? Baking Soda or Baking Powder?
I like the hockey puck idea, clever!!!
I used 2amp, from what I read increasing the amperage will make the electrode hotter.

And yes I meant baking soda, my apologies.

I used 2amp, from what I read increasing the amperage will make the electrode hotter.

And yes I meant baking soda, my apologies.

Never heard of derusting the tank this way.......very cool

I don't think so.....it will probably sense something abnormal and turn itself off or go into some mode that will not produce the correct current.....just a theory....

the old style battery chargers, well they just keep on a charging, more or less

So something like an ac adaptor will work, all my chargers are "smart", 2 are the type that shut off after reaching a certain voltage, one float charges and the last is a ctek fancy desulfating charger.

Back
Top Bottom