Walking a motorcycle on a sidewalk | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Walking a motorcycle on a sidewalk

They shouldn't be in the middle of the road its illegal. They are clearly stupid.. Mommy taught me to not play on the road and look both ways before crossing. Dude if i was a dick id blow thru at speed I inched my way thru ...

unfortunately, you're wrong. A union in a legal strike position can block the entrance way to a place of employment, delaying the traffic attempting to pass through.

if you nudged your car forward and hit a protester, you would be charged with assault with a weapon. A very serious offence for trying to push past a picket line.

Curious on where this right (^) is written down. I know they can picket but I didn't think they could be on private property or block it.

University owns the land, why is it not trespassing? I don't understand, I'm not just being obtuse. When Bell went on strike in the late 80s there was heavy police enforcement (that I saw). Strikers could not be on BC property or impede traffic on the public roads. Hell they even charged some picketers for picketing one of the bosses place as it was a private residence and that was a no-no too.

unfortunately, you're wrong. A union in a legal strike position can block the entrance way to a place of employment, delaying the traffic attempting to pass through.

if you nudged your car forward and hit a protester, you would be charged with assault with a weapon. A very serious offence for trying to push past a picket line.
What a messed up country we live in. Couldn't a cop give them a ticket or something for failing to let traffic proceed? Unions are such crap. Cant they just picket on the sidewalk instead and not bug people who don't give a **** ? Sorry about your luck op, sounds like dickpain

Last edited:
I worked a couple of decades ago for York U security. The University, just like iFly55 posted is required by the courts to permit the union to have "legal" picket lines. The picket lines are at the entrances to the university. the roads they are blocking are actually "PRIVATE roads" in that those roads are owned and maintained by the university. The university "permits" the general public to use them, (you can drive through campus unrestricted, even if your not staff or a student). BUT they do have the "right" to close off the roads and check ID's to ensure only staff, authorized visitors and students enter.

They don't do this for a number of reasons including costs.

These roads even have their "own version of an HTA" Many other universities, (UofT, Western, Waterloo, Laurier, Guelph etc) have their own police departments. These forces conduct radar etc on campus. However you do not get an HTA ticket but rather a "university ticket" normally the fines are ridiculous in comparison to the HTA. (at Waterloo it was a $25 fines regardless of how much over the limit you were). However even though it is private property if you were arrested for impaired then you were charged under the CCoC and faced the same penalties as if you were on a public road.

It can become "tricky" for security and police to enforce a union picket line, YorkU security is a unionized forced just as is TPS. But they have a clause in their contract that says they are "required" to enforce all regs and rules even during a strike by another university union, (doesn't mean it is going to happen though)..lol

Curious on where this right (^) is written down. I know they can picket but I didn't think they could be on private property or block it.

University owns the land, why is it not trespassing? I don't understand, I'm not just being obtuse. When Bell went on strike in the late 80s there was heavy police enforcement (that I saw). Strikers could not be on BC property or impede traffic on the public roads. Hell they even charged some picketers for picketing one of the bosses place as it was a private residence and that was a no-no too.

If crap is going to happen sometimes it's better to let it happen on private property rather than push it onto a public roadway where it becomes a bigger problem and involves even more people.

No, actually those lazy people get fired and go back on the job waiting list. The people who produce stay employed... nothing is perfect but i use to work two jobs up to 90 hours a week just to barely scrap up 50K, no pension, no benefits, no overtime, CPP wont be there for me when i retire. Ive been working and paying into EI since i was 15 (30 now) and i never used it.

To get into my union (IBEW 353) its a pretty lengthy process (Application, physical test, IQ test, interviews + 1 year probation) if you have no experience. Of the 1000 people that applied when I did, they only took 110 .So they are doing their part to only get the cream of the crop, the issue is that when they take in a whole company they get ****** workers and good workers. And I know some of the guys I work with are amazing and some are idiots that drag their *****(they only last a short while and get sent back to the hall when the foreman doesnt need the extra hands on site).

This is my first experience with a union, but I dont see how helping the middle class workers(WHO DRIVE THE ECONOMY) have a good wage is a bad thing. The gov is was too big ans sucks way too much money out of us these days. If they break up unions we will all be working for peanuts and the economy will slow to a halt since nobody but the few rich ones will buy anything. Those few rich cannot support the economy, they can only buy so many beds and pillows etc etc vs the millions that will be broke as ****.

"idiots that drag their *****(they only last a short while and get sent back to the hall when the foreman doesnt need the extra hands on site)."

These chumps are protected as well and get passed onto the next unwitting company. Not good housekeeping.

Labour unions are a different animal. When negotiations break down the company moves to China. Who wins?

Union protection doesn't work for every business. Union workers should think very hard about whether their job can be done elsewhere by someone less privileged. York U vs on-line education????

Alternatively, you can avoid picket lines by parking at Black Creek for free by Rexall Centre. Then it's a matter of campus walk.

I believe York is all private property.
No way that's free!? I thought it was 5 or 7 bucks

I understand the union is actually fighting for the students education..
<most everything="" below="" is="" copied="" from="" the="" net="">

Roughly 60 per cent of classes at York are taught by contract staff. the university’s reliance on temporary teachers negatively impacts students, as contract faculty are given less time to prepare course materials.

“It’s about the bottom line, it’s a cost-saving mechanism,” he said. “The university can get contract faculty to teach much more and pay them considerably less than what they would pay tenure-track faculty.”
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1267375/possible-strike-looming-at-york-university/

Union protection doesn't work for every business. Union workers should think very hard about whether their job can be done elsewhere by someone less privileged. York U vs on-line education????
this is very true!
as a student,, would you like online,, or a person worthy of good working conditions?
as a coffee buyer,, would you like fair trade,, or cheap beans at a cheap price...?

as a future worker...
it takes a long thought process to take shots at union members

Give up every benefit and right that you use that unions are responsible for.

Dedicate your life to the life goal of making your company more money than the year before. Just understand that this may mean sacrificing the union fought rights you enjoy everyday. I mean, you don't want to be a hypocrite, do you? Like bashing unions on your union fought lunch break? Which means if you practice what you preach, you don't get a lunch break

Corporations use to work employees 80+ hours a week, offer no breaks, hire children, offer horrid, unsanitary work conditions, paid literally next to nothing, and even murder. Not murder with a pen like they do today, but actual murder. They basically did whatever they wanted.

If we rid the world of unions tomorrow, who is to say that they won't go right back to the way they were merely 70 years ago? The GOP governor of Maine signed a bill to repeal child labor laws this year, maybe they are going back to their roots whether we have unions or not

Reasons Why You Should Thank a Union

Weekends
All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
Paid Vacation
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act
40 Hour Work Week
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay
Laws Ending Sweatshops

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...Union-36-Ways-Unions-Have-Improved-Your-Life#</most>

Last edited:
No way that's free!? I thought it was 5 or 7 bucks

If there is an attendant, it's $7. Otherwise you don't get a parking ticket for not paying at the entrance.

They don't enforce anything yet.

Last edited:
STRIKERS.... Stupid people, complaining about making only 15K a year.... You're not happy, FIND ANOTHER EFFIN JOB!! No skills or education to get that better job = get them and move ahead or STFU and stop complaining. My boos doesn't pay me overtime, I quit and find a better job.

People need to start taking responsibility for themselves and stop looking to blame the world/the institutions/the corporations for the ****** meager little existence.

If you are in support of a this TA strike you clearly misunderstand who these people are, what the nature of the employment is, and what is going on.
I was (ashamedly) a member of this stupid union back in 2008. I actually didn't know it until they started banging their jungle drums with newsletters with lots of all caps printed in red and mumbo jumbo about the people and the workers and whatever. We got our prof to accelerate the end date of the last course we were taking so we could graduate and be out before the strike started. I was one of them. Why? because I was a grad student getting paid to TA some classes. That's what they are. Some of them are dumb enough to imagine it is a career option and not just some way to earn some coin to offset school costs and the union just sees it as a way to heist part of peoples pay. A few arts majors can live out their marxist feelgood with other peoples money and the rest of the students get screwed. It is VERY good pay and benefits for the actual amount of work done.

If you are in support of a this TA strike you clearly misunderstand who these people are, what the nature of the employment is, and what is going on.
I was (ashamedly) a member of this stupid union back in 2008. I actually didn't know it until they started banging their jungle drums with newsletters with lots of all caps printed in red and mumbo jumbo about the people and the workers and whatever. We got our prof to accelerate the end date of the last course we were taking so we could graduate and be out before the strike started. I was one of them. Why? because I was a grad student getting paid to TA some classes. That's what they are. Some of them are dumb enough to imagine it is a career option and not just some way to earn some coin to offset school costs and the union just sees it as a way to heist part of peoples pay. A few arts majors can live out their marxist feelgood with other peoples money and the rest of the students get screwed. It is VERY good pay and benefits for the actual amount of work done.

There Yah go! ,, learn something new everyday! ... and I should have known not to believe what the papers and internets say.. there is their story,, and there is the truth

it's not just about the TA's. It's also about the short term contract instructors hired to save the university the cost of hiring a full tenured professor.

There is absolutely no job security for contract instructors.

it's not just about the TA's. It's also about the short term contract instructors hired to save the university the cost of hiring a full tenured professor.

There is absolutely no job security for contract instructors.

My wife is a contract instructor for a few universities. As someone else quoted above: more than half of the classes at "most" universities are taught by contract staff, not tenured (or even tenure-track) professors. In one way this isn't a bad thing as some of the best research professors are some of the worst teachers of their subject (they just work on a different level and can't communicate that to students). In other ways this is a huge cost savings for the universities: why pay full pop for a professor when someone will do it under contract for less with no guarantees? The entire system is breaking down because there are more people who want the work, with less positions available. Some of the best instructors I know have left academia to work in private industry because they can't make ends meet while teaching under short term contracts. Which is a shame, because the future students are the ones losing out.

I am neither completely for or against unions, but I tend to come down on the "against" side more often than not. But given the opportunity I will play devil's advocate and argue for them if the situation calls for it (ie. anyone taking too firm a stance). My opinion: unions have their place, and this is one of them. The universities in question hold most (read: all) the cards and they are running like businesses. Which is okay, but they will have to negotiate with their labour like businesses then, and not rely on the government to legislate their decisions away. From what I understand, the universities want the financial freedom of a private business with the benefits and support of a publicly funded entity. Which is admirable, but not likely. They can't have it both ways in my mind.

This is a complex problem that can't be addressed with either a pro-union of anti-union stance. Contract teachers are in a tough place where the economics of their industry are working against them. Universities have allowed their administration costs to more than double in the last 10 years. The York and U of T TA's are asking for "living wages" for 10 hours of work per week and the one spokes-person who ended up on TV makes $80+ k per year - not exactly the best PR strategy. I hope that this situation is allowed to play out for the sake of both the contract teachers and the students. I don't feel the universities involved are correct and the TA's and contract staff are not correct either, but an agreement will have to be made. If not, then the post-secondary education system in our country will continue to collapse and all the non-STEM (science technology engineering and math) degrees will continue to be devalued. It is already tough for arts majors to find work based on their degrees, in many cases the degrees aren't worth it.

To be fair we don't know what proceeded that. It's been posted that some students are experiencing longer than reasonable " wait" time because they had the audacity to honk at people blocking the entrance.

Looks like a dick I agree, but really all he did was inconvenience them. Just like the strikers are doing.

Back
Top Bottom