'06 Honda shadow 750 issue with front spring?!? | GTAMotorcycle.com

'06 Honda shadow 750 issue with front spring?!?

miche

Last year I bought a 750 shadow from a dealer. I noticed that there was a spot on the front fender, and figured out that it was from the front end coming down and tapping it. When I asked, I was told their mechanic checked it out and that was normal?!? So I rode last season and a couple times this year already trying to avoid anything that might make the bikes front end tap... Is this actually normal (I don't think so) & can anyone tell me what I can ask another mechanic to check/fix to avoid more paint chipping and potentially rust from starting?

Michelle

Last year I bought a 750 shadow from a dealer. I noticed that there was a spot on the front fender, and figured out that it was from the front end coming down and tapping it. When I asked, I was told their mechanic checked it out and that was normal?!? So I rode last season and a couple times this year already trying to avoid anything that might make the bikes front end tap... Is this actually normal (I don't think so) & can anyone tell me what I can ask another mechanic to check/fix to avoid more paint chipping and potentially rust from starting?

Michelle

Picture ?

Now looking at it, it seems the bar that is the yellow lights is what is making contact. And now I also see that the cross bar for the lights is also cracked :-(

a69f67eefb2091749138f039f60def70.jpg

Michelle

Do not think it is normal as my '98 750 does not do this.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Quick google search shows the Aero with more clearance than what you have. If you have the Spirit, it has even more clearance. Has this bike been lowered?

Not to my knowledge... But I wonder now could it have to do with the cross bar for the yellow lights being set to low?

Michelle

I have googled pics of other '06 shadows and the yellow lights are not an aftermarket addition

Michelle

I have googled pics of other '06 shadows and the yellow lights are not an aftermarket addition

Michelle

It looks all stock,with the addition of the driving lights but that shouldn't make any difference.
You might consider upgrading to Progressive Suspension fork springs (part # 11-1126) for a slightly firmer ride and to eliminate the problem.
Your local dealer/repair shop can order them and assist if you aren't prepared to install them yourself.

Thank you... Much appreciated. A bit disappointed in the dealer trying to leave me to believe that it was normal...

Michelle

No, the ones you have seem to be oem. But they do seem low, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere else for them to go. That's why if I'm wondering if your front forks are compressed somehow.
Anyone with more knowledge know if that is possible, maybe for lowering?

According to the specs for a 750 Shadow, 2006, it should have 130mm (5.1") of travel. Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like there is that much distance between the fender and the light bar. I'd agree with the suspension not being stock. Possibly someone shortened the springs?

The signal light usually swivels. Take a pic on the side of the bike.
Also the front fender is plastic, it won't rust.

That's weird. I find it hard to believe it would be designed do that they could come into contact before the forks bottomed out. Seems like something is going on...

Wow, actually nothing is wrong, the problem is because you have an aftermarket lightbar which relocates the turn signal bar lower.

So it looks like the cross bar for the lights is 2.5" away from the fender. Good to know I shouldn't expect rust. I looked into the progressive suspension forks, now I will just need to find the right person to install them I guess.
83dfaae4dd3c47a8893c3309622cb3a2.jpg

30de781dc215f5818d4aace07f2d48f0.jpg

f74a60adefa1f24bdff071c2b959f3ae.jpg

Michelle

Wow, actually nothing is wrong, the problem is because you have an aftermarket lightbar which relocates the turn signal bar lower.

I couldn't tell that from the pic, I thought it looked stock. That would make sense, though.
Edit:
After a closer look, it does seem the addition of the driving lights has turn signal bar lowered.

Last edited:
I think that they flipped the signal bar mount upside down to get clearance for the additional headlights. Also, if you've had any fork seal leaks, you could be low on oil. If you pull up on the handlebars, extending the forks, does the 2.5" of clearance increase?

Edit: Looking at a ton of pictures online, your light bar is mounted too low. The signal bar should be about 1/2" below the headlight, yours is much lower. I live near Barrie, but work in Vaughn if you'd like someone to look at it before spending money on fork springs etc. No charge of course. Pm me if you'd like some help.

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Last edited:

Good catch on the turn signal upside down install. Remove your lightbar and reinstall back to original and you'll gain almost 1.75" of extra clearance. This should solve your suspension problem, and it would be a lot cheaper than redoing your otherwise functional suspension. This would not be the first time a previous owner mucked up an accessory install.

Hey Iceman, I'm getting a message that says you have exceeded you pm message storage...

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom