What would you do if this happened to you while you were riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What would you do if this happened to you while you were riding?

Alvito

Unexpected stuff like this is rare. But it makes me rethink riding in the city. Too many boneheads out there.

[video=youtube;YF2swaqz_Kk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF2swaqz_Kk[/video]

Dude seemed kinda asleep at the wheel. I mean, still not his fault but I think a quick swerve would have totally avoided that which is even easier to do on a (at least sport) bike. It seemed like he reacted VERY late.

EDIT: If you look at the timestamp on the video it takes him like a full 2 seconds to even start braking. If my reaction time was this bad I'd be dead by now. Seriously.

Last edited:
Dude seemed kinda asleep at the wheel. I mean, still not his fault but I think a quick swerve would have totally avoided that which is even easier to do on a (at least sport) bike. It seemed like he reacted VERY late.

EDIT: If you look at the timestamp on the video it takes him like a full 2 seconds to even start braking. If my reaction time was this bad I'd be dead by now. Seriously.

Just because the wheels don't lock up, doesn't mean the driver wasn't braking. I would know. I was the driver... :(

I am going to play devil's advocate and say it's the "camera car's" fault. Yes, I realize who is technically at fault. But, driving what seems like a pretty could pace in the lane closest to all the oncoming traffic when the right lane (curb lane) is completely free is just dumb. Pass on the left - move to the right. Sure it's not a highway, but same **** applies in my mind. Be in the right lane. If that were a motorcycle, then I'd venture to say EVEN MORE SO, it could have been avoided if riding in the curb lane, AND/or slowing it down....

****** driving like what's shown in this video, in my mind, provides absolutely no excuse to not ride - just how not to drive/ride.

I have a feeling if he swerved the SUV in the right lane might have hit him, and or the driver might have hit the SUV

However I think the reaction time of the driver with the camera was a bit on the slow side, and had they hit the brakes sooner and harder, it might have been avoided and at minimum mitigated the damage, just my opinion and going by what I see in the footage

Then again he could have sped up and really hit her good and hard, if your going to hit em, hit em hard.....

Last edited:
Hard to tell, but looks like about half a second after the other car's front-end stuck out, OP's car dipped which indicates he was braking. So he did attempt to stop -- road looks wet which probably increased braking distance, as well.

Swerving out of the way would likely have been more effective, as the SUV was far enough back to react as long as no abrupt hard braking was involved. That said, not everyone has cat-like reflexes, especially in a situation like this where you wouldn't expect someone to just drive on out when their view of the road would have been obstructed heavily.

Did the SUV (or anyone else) stop as a witness? It looked like they just drove on past, hope they pulled over after the video ended. Either way, hope everything gets taken care of and that nobody was seriously hurt.

Well, your dashcam paid off at least. What kind is it? Also, it's kinda hard for me to be sure - did you blur the windows on her car?

OP is in the right. Person pulling out was wrong. Good thing you were in a car. Her insurance will cover all damages...and hopefully they rob her on her insurance renewal for being such a bad driver.

... Also, it's kinda hard for me to be sure - did you blur the windows on her car?

That's an interesting catch, hadn't noticed that. Her windows look like they were really fogged up or something. Even worse road visibility on her part. (Could just be glare making it look that way though...) Either way, probably yet another bonehead that never took any kind of safe driving lessons before getting behind the wheel.

I'll never understand why people pull out of driveways in traffic like that. Just wait the few extra seconds or so until your view is unobstructed and there's no traffic nearby... it's not the end of the world.

Last edited:

By the time you check your blindspot for that Murano and make a decision whether swerve or not, you're out of time.

The driver was better off hitting the Camry, if he swerved and accidentally clipped the Murano then he'd be at fault for insurance.

By the time you check your blindspot for that Murano and make a decision whether swerve or not, you're out of time.

The driver was better off hitting the Camry, if he swerved and accidentally clipped the Murano then he'd be at fault for insurance.

Unfortunately, with the way insurance works in Ontario, that's the truth.

If someone else is going to cause you to crash, always hit them. (Don't get in a single-vehicle crash that didn't involve hitting them, or worse, in a multi-vehicle crash where you will be held responsible.)

If the OP were on his bike, he would have had two things in his favor ... sitting up higher, thus giving a hope of possibly seeing that Camry before it actually went into his lane, and being narrower, possibly being able to squeeze past.

Unfortunately this may be the best option sometime. If the driver swerves to avoid the Camry, and hits the Murano beside him then he is liable for causing an accident. The Camry would drive away and you're left holding the bag.

If the surrounding area is clear and you can avoid it safely by swerving or braking then do so...if not, well then hit em and let the insurance deal with it because you don't want a single vehicle accident on your record.

By the look of the car.....off color fender and all was it is in need of a little love. Kinda fun driving a beater Hell I wouldn't even of touched the brakes maybe the pedal beside it for the greater experience. Even more fun is when the a holes play chicken forcing their way into your lane. For me looks like little was done to avoid LOL and should've been done to avoid plow that puppy.

Last edited:
There are times when the best vehicle in traffic is a '77 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. "Go ahead. Hit me."

There are times when the best vehicle in traffic is a '77 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. "Go ahead. Hit me."

My dodge ram 2500 is like that. Hell, the cummins engine alone outweighs some small cars lol.

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Same thing almost happened to me 1-2 years ago driving in to work -- Car really wanted to get gas, and tried to cut through 3 lanes to do it. Both myself and the car beside me missed him/her by about 2-3 feet at most. The sad joke is the driver of that car probably thought she was in the right, and you hit her...seems to be the trend of bad drivers + sense of entitlement + if I force my way in then others will have to stop mentality these days.

That said, I'm definitely getting a dashcam this year. The Mini 0806 looks good, but they are still working out some kinks in the design.

Looking at the rear cam Alvito had the space to swerve, the Murano was behind him by a car length, just not aware of his surroundings. Clicking on the youtube video he states he had to pay 500$ deductible, did the woman have no insurance? As for the title of the video, I've had 4 white men initiate vehicular collisions with me, no women, no asians...

I agree with those who advocate a quick swerve to the right lane may have prevented the accident, but who's "constantly" checking their side-view mirrors? And it's a split second decision with the only thing in mind is "oh sh*t, wtf". I was involved in the exact type of accident except I did swerve to the right lane avoiding the moron but collided with another car on right lane coming from behind and sided a parked car. The car that caused the accident that I managed to avoid drove off like everything was normal. I was ticketed and insurance went up. What the cop say? "Son, maybe you should've just hit her then"

Next time I'm ramming the person at fault lol

^ The problem is that the driver does not have eyes in the back of his head, and you cannot scan forward and behind and mirrors continuously. The vehicle that was in the adjacent lane and a bit behind a couple of seconds ago, might have accelerated. Confirming that the way is clear before doing the emergency lane change takes a finite amount of time that the original poster did not have. Fail to do that confirmation and hit the other car? Then the collision is his fault. Taking an excessive amount of time to check side and rear view mirrors removes attention that you are paying in front ...

Slamming on the brakes and thus taking energy out of the collision was about the best that could be done in the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom