smart tv recommendation? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

smart tv recommendation?

46" tiny I wouldn't bother with anything under 60" myself. The whole viewing distance thing is a bit of a sham too- bigger is better. I watch my 60" from about 8' away and 1080p sources are clear as hell. 4K is another level entirely, I could watch it from 3 feet away. Considering most movies are letterboxed 2.35:1 you're really not utilizing the entire screen at all. I would've gone even bigger than 60" but my wife whined too much about it as it is.

*cough whiplash! *cough

Yup, bigger is always better, can't go wrong with 55" 60" or 65"

BTW when you set up the Tv it asks you to agree to all kinds of terms and services. You can click disagree on all of it and still use the TV just fine. I believe some of their apps or services may not work but mine is doing just fine.

.....What DID bother me was news of Samsung injecting ads into local content- that's just uncalled for. It shouldn't happen if you opt out and disagree with their terms; but if it still does, there would be a massive lawsuit on their heads.

right, and you can trust samsung with all their shenanigans.... but wait a minute, you guys are google android users, so used to privacy scams, malware, ads and data mining...... :lol:

right, and you can trust samsung with all their shenanigans.... but wait a minute, you guys are google android users, so used to privacy scams, malware, ads and data mining...... :lol:

I trust em as much as I can trust any tech company... ??? If there's a breach of trust they'd open themselves up to massive lawsuits. A TV is way less likely to be exposed to malware, that's just stupid bro. People don't download nearly as many smartTV apps (I havent downloaded any) and the process is far more closed to developers.

Android is by far best for privacy, for power users anyway. 100% control over every piece of info that every app ever requests from your phone.

Funny fact but samsung sells a nice keyboard remote......that has no functionality for internet use with their "smart tv":(

Link to totally useless keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-VG-KB...61846&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+keyboard+remote

I do the same type of thing, Ive got a 65" pananasonic smart tv of some sort hooked up to my computer and i used a wireless keyboard/mouse like that.... only thing I have to complain about is the amount of overscan this thing has, make sure you check that if you're going the same setup i do.

my old samsung tv had no noticeable overscan... but the remote died pretty quick

46" tiny I wouldn't bother with anything under 60" myself. The whole viewing distance thing is a bit of a sham too- bigger is better. I watch my 60" from about 8' away and 1080p sources are clear as hell. 4K is another level entirely, I could watch it from 3 feet away. Considering most movies are letterboxed 2.35:1 you're really not utilizing the entire screen at all. I would've gone even bigger than 60" but my wife whined too much about it as it is.

I dunno, I have a 46 in my tiny living room and I feel anything over 50 would be too big. Funny part is that I paid $1800 for this thing 5 years ago and right now I could probably buy a better tv for $400 but that's how it is with tech I guess. I'm probably not upgrading till I can get either a 50' 4K TV under $1500 or one of those passive 3D sets that don't require glasses for similar price.

Also, the next gen systems SUCK as HTPC's with stock firmware. MY PS3 can handle an external drive (had to be formatted in FAT32 which sucked though) while my XBox One can't do crap and from what I read, the PS4 can't handle an external hard drive either. Just buy a WDTV for like $80 and it handles every file format under the sun short of the new X265 formats which won't become standard for a while anyways. If you want everthing in one though and use onboard audio though then I guess smart tv is the simplest setup though.

Smart TV's aren't HTPCs... was just saying, the limited functionality you get from a smart TV (Which for 99% of people is being able to use Netflix and occasionally a Youtube app) most consoles can do anyway. And I have a Samsung smart TV, and the Netflix app doesn't even work at all anymore

Which you can disable. Just like the MotoX phone or a number of portable devices which are always listening for commands "OK Google" etc.

I will be needing a new TV too, I like the curved 4K Ultra 65" Samsung anyone have this or the smaller version? Or maybe the new OLED from LG...I will have to go to best buy and see these TV's in person, my 52" Sony Bravia is on its last legs, the left side of the screen is flickering & distorting...too bad I actually like this one but very soon it will be time for a change!

I have the top of the line non-curved Samsung 60" 4K set and its amazing. Its only drawback is the fact that its edge-lit, but thats the price you pay for a super thin TV with small bezels. Otherwise everything is amazing- the edge lit part becomes evident in dark scenes with bright spots (a moon shot, or a dude wearing a white shirt against black background, etc). The local dimming works excellent otherwise and the black levels are about as good as it gets for LCD. Colour, brightness, contrast and resolution are amazing.

If you want the BEST picture quality from an LCD, Sony XBR-X900B line is the only way to go. But you have to really like the design to want it in your living room.

I will be needing a new TV too, I like the curved 4K Ultra 65" Samsung anyone have this or the smaller version? Or maybe the new OLED from LG...I will have to go to best buy and see these TV's in person, my 52" Sony Bravia is on its last legs, the left side of the screen is flickering & distorting...too bad I actually like this one but very soon it will be time for a change!

IMHO, curved TV's are kind of like an oversized rear tire on a bike......purely for looks and actually hurt performance. I would never get a curved TV.

IMHO, curved TV's are kind of like an oversized rear tire on a bike......purely for looks and actually hurt performance. I would never get a curved TV.

I hear you but they are pretty neat looking, I will most likely not get a curved TV but I will take a look at one just to see with my own eyes!

I understand the logic behind the curve but I wouldn't bother. It makes sense (maybe) for a smaller room and a setup where usually only one or two people are watching from directly in the center.

I ended buying a 55" 4K UHD/IPS LG for $1289.00 with a 4 year warranty, I seen the Samsung 55" 1080p FOR $1100.00 but to me the LG has a much more sharper picture + I am a hardcore gamer so the 4K will benefit my gaming systems!

I ended buying a 55" 4K UHD/IPS LG for $1289.00 with a 4 year warranty, I seen the Samsung 55" 1080p FOR $1100.00 but to me the LG has a much more sharper picture + I am a hardcore gamer so the 4K will benefit my gaming systems!

The low end 4k LG stuff was consistently very poorly reviewed. There's a reason it's so cheap... LG just has really nice demos in store. Its almost impossible to gauge TVs in the showroom though.

If you're a real hardcore gamer then the input lag will drive you nuts as that thing upscales 1080p content sorta poorly. Where'd you buy it and what's the exchange policy?

Back
Top Bottom