Buying Selling on Kijiji woes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying Selling on Kijiji woes

Guys,
It goes both ways too, it's not just sellers that get the shaft. As I told my recent story in other posts: I had a deposit down, with arrangements made for safetying and payment, all agreed, spent a day negotiating, and then after it was all said and done, I get a text: "sorry, I'm returning your deposit, I had to go with a lower offer on an as-is basis". So frankly, a deposit can mean very little. And there's no way I'd leave a deposit on:
- any bike located very far away from me, or
- any bike With money still owing on it.

and as bikerider said, especially if you are travelling many KM's to buy a bike, you wanna make sure everything is all laid out as much as possible beforehand. I had one seller who sent me a video tour of his bike! Now THAT'S a motivated seller. I want a good price, sure, but I want to buy from someone who can tell me a lot about the bike, sell me on its positives, and work with me on closing the deal. i have met and talked to a lot of sellers who are just content to stand back, let you take a look at the bike, and leave the Ball entirely in the buyers' court. To that I say...Ok thanks buddy! Someone else can take my thousands of dollars if this is too much work for you!

I need to trust the seller, no matter how good the price is, a lot of It comes down to that (at least for me). So it's not just sellers that experience kijiji woes, think of it from the buyers' perspective too.

The best way to deal with this is 'if you're serious about it, show up and we'll deal with it in person'

More often then not, that weeds out the keyboard/phone warriors.

Positive things, at least now it's "Safetied and ready to roll!"

That's the bottom line. Negotiations can/should only be made on site. If the price is too high or your not willing to pay/ can't afford it, then they/you shouldn't be even asking to see it showing interest. Unless the item for sale has been posted for a very long time- that's different.

Then by all means. Ask away, but from my experience these things always go better in person, when you can see the item, the person etc.

Roasted did mention that he hasn't done the safety yet. I'm not sure I'd do it with out the deposit and bill of sale/conditions written up and everyone on the same page bud.

I've bought/ sold a lot of things including several bikes on Kijiji in Ontario, and one bike I picked up in Quebec, always discuss pricing on site, turn down offers generally via email, and never put up my contact number. I think the closest I've picked up a bike was North Brampton/Mississauga location but the guy lived downtown and had it stored up there. No bike I've sold online has gone to anyone in the core closest has been far east Scarborough.

Try giving something away on kijiji. It's way funnier.
Been there done that, I'm not sure If I would call it funny, free or close to it always gets the most interesting, ridiculous people.

Did they ask if you can deliver? LOL

Those people are great, I generally will put pick up only or meet up in the central core to try to avoid them. Depending on the item.

Yeah for sure, it's more of a guideline, but honestly anyone withing 100km will come see if they're serious.

I find it best dealing with people outside the GTA.
Exactly.

That's how I got such a great deal on my bike. The original owner really wanted to sell it, as he was moving. The lower the price he posted on Kijiji, the more flakes he got calling him. "Dude, do not sell that bike", they would say "I'll be right over". I showed up with cash and a trailer and took it away for a song.

One guy told me he has a Ducati Monster currently and it had 6K km on it, it was a 2006 and he wanted to "keep the milage low".

Generally speaking, Ducatis just don't get ridden a lot (I've been told several times by dealers the average they see is about 2-3K a year). So it almost becomes a contest of 'who will ride my bike less?' so they can preserve their supposed value due to their condition. (Maintenance notwithstanding)

If I ever try to sell my Monster (it has 60K on it), I don't think I'll get any offers.

You could post a job ad "Now hiring ****** bags" and get the exact same results as a motorcycle for sale ad on kijiji.

Read from bottom to top (sight)

Mark V.
4:15 PM (5 hours ago)
to me
Seriously. How old are you?

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 14:16:26 -0400
Did you have your meds today?

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 19:03:33 -0400
Still throwing a fit?

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 14:10:08 -0400
Are you off the rag yet?

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 23:15:27 -0400
How old are you?

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 22:43:52 -0400
Have you cooled off yet? Now, can we talk like grown ups?

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 22:33:02 -0400
How can you say I'm low balling you? I didn't even make an offer? And now you are cursing at me? Are you for real?

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 22:28:59 -0400
To: mark_83@outlook.com

Not to some low ball moron that has no idea what the bike is worth. Go find the same bike for less than 7k. Good luck buddy.

Now f_ _k off.

Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2015 10:27 PM
What's with the attitude? Do you actually want to sell your bike or not? Don't act like an idiot.

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 22:23:55 -0400
Go find another one then. Take care.

Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2015 10:22 PM
My brother, it's got 40,000 kilometres and beat up fairings. You really think $5600 is fair?

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 22:17:52 -0400
Lowest I can do is 5600.

Hey there, Interested in the bike. Would you be able to discuss price before I make the trip down from Peterborough? Let me know what your best price is and if its reasonable I can be there fairly quick. I have a trailer so I can take it home on the spot. TTYS, M.V.

Just to screw with the system, if the asking price is fair I always pay the full asking price and show up when I say I will!
I did this with my winter tires + rims for my car. I was like "Your asking price is fair so out of principle I will give you your asking price".........(it was $650)....dude was like "Well, actually I was hoping to get $600 for them"........so I said deal, LOL, I'm not making this up.

I have a scooter for sale on Kijiji and some of the emails I am getting are laughable. One guy offered me 50% of my asking price because he was going to pay me "Cash". Pay me cash vs what, in potatoes?
I have a price in mind and I will not go 1 cent below that, period.

The picture request I can understand, if it looks like crap I wouldn't bother going to pick it up, the other requests are just insanely stupid.
I dragged it to the curb and it's free for pick up. This is a zero effort endeavor for me. If i wanted to **** around replying to emails and taking and posting photos I would have asked $100 for it.

Guys,
It goes both ways too, it's not just sellers that get the shaft. As I told my recent story in other posts: I had a deposit down, with arrangements made for safetying and payment, all agreed, spent a day negotiating, and then after it was all said and done, I get a text: "sorry, I'm returning your deposit, I had to go with a lower offer on an as-is basis". So frankly, a deposit can mean very little. And there's no way I'd leave a deposit on:
- any bike located very far away from me, or
- any bike With money still owing on it.

and as bikerider said, especially if you are travelling many KM's to buy a bike, you wanna make sure everything is all laid out as much as possible beforehand. I had one seller who sent me a video tour of his bike! Now THAT'S a motivated seller. I want a good price, sure, but I want to buy from someone who can tell me a lot about the bike, sell me on its positives, and work with me on closing the deal. i have met and talked to a lot of sellers who are just content to stand back, let you take a look at the bike, and leave the Ball entirely in the buyers' court. To that I say...Ok thanks buddy! Someone else can take my thousands of dollars if this is too much work for you!

I need to trust the seller, no matter how good the price is, a lot of It comes down to that (at least for me). So it's not just sellers that experience kijiji woes, think of it from the buyers' perspective too.
Deposits protect seller, not buyer

i think the proliferation of these 'pawn broker' type shows on the idiot box has made people believe they are ultra savvy negotiators like the dudes on the tv supposedly are....

customer-service-pawn.jpeg

I had a guy borrow a truck to come all the way from Barrie to look at a dirtbike I was selling. He bought a hitch mounted dirt bike on the way, then tried to talk me down on the price. Lol. He must've missed that episode of pawn stars.

I did this with my winter tires + rims for my car. I was like "Your asking price is fair so out of principle I will give you your asking price".........(it was $650)....dude was like "Well, actually I was hoping to get $600 for them"........so I said deal, LOL, I'm not making this up.

Same thing here, bought my last car (2000 Saab 9-3), guy was asking 2700 certified and e-tested. I said I am good with 2700, he dropped the price to 2400! I wasn't going to argue...

Yes dude

One time I put our old patio set out on the curb and made a kijiji ad, free patio set, on curb at my address etc...had emails asking me to hold it for a week, deliver it, for me to go out and take pictures of it, lol ****

I'm still waiting on you to send me those patio pictures bro... also, you gonna deliver it or wha? I'm doing you a favour here broooo

The best way to deal with this is 'if you're serious about it, show up and we'll deal with it in person'

The last time I dealt with a buyer pulling that on me, he refused to negotiate on the price despite the bike requiring an $800 service (which he denied) and having a squared off rear tire (which he also denied) after I travelled 2hrs to go see it.

I didn't do the safety yet, pretty much told the guy, the price is the price, was going to do the safety tomorrow when I'm back from New York. Another guy wants to see it tomorrow anyways. I'm not loosing any money but it's just annoying. Plus, all these guys looking at the bike don't seem like real riders. One guy told me he has a Ducati Monster currently and it had 6K km on it, it was a 2006 and he wanted to "keep the milage low". I swear, the Motorcycle scene in Toronto is a bit of a joke.

Ahem, not sure I read that right, but are you expecting to get the same amount of money you got the bike for and used for a while? Obviously you'll get lowballed, it's not a condo. you can't flip it for moooneeeh.

Ahem, not sure I read that right, but are you expecting to get the same amount of money you got the bike for and used for a while? Obviously you'll get lowballed, it's not a condo. you can't flip it for moooneeeh.

I meant loosing money negotiating with the guy, obviously I'm asking significantly less then what I paid for it 5 years ago plus I put quite a few upgrades on the bike since.

I meant loosing money negotiating with the guy, obviously I'm asking significantly less then what I paid for it 5 years ago plus I put quite a few upgrades on the bike since.

yea n/m thought so.

Actually how much are you asking for? I really like those bikes, but I doubt I am getting another SS in on.

Back
Top Bottom