Universities ?!? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Universities ?!?

I.e. When applying to Law School, your 4.0 from UofT or Mac is considered a 4.0 GPA. Your 4.0 GPA from Brock University is equivalent to 3.3 GPA when applying. Things to consider.

lol that takes the cake

I actually went to the states for my univ... I'm glad I did because it was a better fit for me then up here.

I did computer engineering at Michigan State Univ starting in 97, found I didn't like programming at all but tech did interest me that's why I ended up in the program to begin with. My lil' brother was attending Utah State Univ. about the same time as I was finishing (he got a scholarship down there) and so I tagged along and completed a Business degree there. Still didn't know what I wanted to do, so stayed another 18 months and completed a general arts / science degree as well.

Finally had to get out of student life and come out to work.

Now I work in the finance industry analyzing tech projects. So I ended up quasi between the 2 fields I studied for. Its a bit of a niche since Busienss people understand numbers / cost / ROI's ... Tech people don't get that part very much and only understand the need to do upgrades, new tech. I can sit in the middle and speak business to those folks and try to explain the tech at the same going back to the tech folks to try and figure out a new way of doing something since I can speak tech (albeit not at the current level but at a basic level light years ahead of what the business only guy could).

Great way to spend a bunch of time though (univ) ...

I DO NOT recommend taking a history degree though. I have friends who took courses like that and they have a tough time landing a decent job, all there jobs are not in there own fields either.

Last edited:
The most fun years of my life. No need for tinder.

None of my friends are unemployed, in fact one of them swans around on his yacht a lot. We all studied what we enjoyed rather than what we thought would get us the most cash. Mine happened to be chemistry and I'm doing pretty good right now with a tenured position. That being said...I worked contracts for 20 years before my current position and had contracts withdrawn when companies were taken over, periods with EI etc My sister works in media and did what she loved at university but had to do work selling windows etc before she landed her current job. Anyone can land a decent career with any degree as long as they work hard and are willing to move around...and that means maybe moving countries too.

Maybe not all kids today, but a lot expect the golden job to land in their lap immediately after leaving University. That's exceptionally rare. It just doesn't happen. They have to be prepared for long periods of graft and a few twists and turns before everything gets settled.

Maybe not all kids today, but a lot expect the golden job to land in their lap immediately after leaving University. That's exceptionally rare. It just doesn't happen. They have to be prepared for long periods of graft and a few twists and turns before everything gets settled.

That's the biggest difference I notice in people my age (late 30's) and the younger kids. Their expectations are way higher.

I'm reminded of the Cleveland Cyclewerks guy who was making fun of the guy who designed the door handle on the new Mustang, as if that was the most degrading job ever. Seems like a pretty decent gig to me. *shrugs*

https://youtu.be/vKnwE1FJBFc?t=3m5s

Last edited:
This makes perfect sense if you're going to University just out of interest. Most people need money to live and therefore are in University to get a job after. I do know several people that took things like psych just out of interest and then did something else after knowing full well there's no jobs in that field at least without a masters. On the other hand, I know some people that have multiple degrees in things like Latin, music history, art, etc and then complain that they owe hundreds of thousands in student loans (been in school for like 10+ years) and can't get a job in their field (because there aren't any and anyone should know that).
Agreed!
If it's just mommy & daddy paying the bill then just have fun. But if you need a job after & need to repay that $, maybe college
OP, if your kid is considering Law School, make sure they understand the admissions level rankings of the university they want to go to. It adds a multiplier affect to their grades.

I.e. When applying to Law School, your 4.0 from UofT or Mac is considered a 4.0 GPA. Your 4.0 GPA from Brock University is equivalent to 3.3 GPA when applying. Things to consider.
You just offended 100% of Brock students

... Mine happened to be chemistry and I'm doing pretty good right now with a tenured position....

We have our own Walter White here.... dood can you teach me how to cook? ;-)

Yeah I'm not sure that is an absolute. My lowly Brock University degree has never been a stumbling block.

haha yup

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/olsas/c_olsas_b.pdf

It's not a DRASTIC difference, but 5 points could be the difference between an A and a B+, which is a big factor for admission (+ LSAT of course).

How do you figure, UofT and Brock are both code 3 schools so the percentage grade is equal for both??? Not that I have any great respect for Brock but it doesn't look like they are any different than UofT when it comes to OLSAS (for percentage grades). Unless I am missing somthing, if so give some examples using the chart...

The code 5 and 6 schools are interesting in that if you have low grades you are better off but if you have high grades you get a bit of the shaft!

I don't see prison degrees listed. They should get you into law school, no?

Yeah I'm not sure that is an absolute. My lowly Brock University degree has never been a stumbling block.

Law schools are weird and they have on average 3500 applicants per 300 openings per Admission cycle per Uni. They have to cut people off somewhere. But once you're in......

How do you figure, UofT and Brock are both code 3 schools so the percentage grade is equal for both??? Not that I have any great respect for Brock but it doesn't look like they are any different than UofT when it comes to OLSAS (for percentage grades). Unless I am missing somthing, if so give some examples using the chart...

The code 5 and 6 schools are interesting in that if you have low grades you are better off but if you have high grades you get a bit of the shaft!

Don't shoot the messenger. Not all programs are created equal, whether it's just bias or the way it is. It's an OLSAS thing.

No doubt but the evidence you put forward to show this shows Brock and UofT equal...

It shows that there's a discrepancy between the grading system. It's more equal in 2015 than it was several years back. (Yay for Brock? or Boo for UofT?)
Also, these are guidelines that are used by OLSAS to form their own GPA equivalent ranking. Schools receive the GPA ranking from OLSA, not from the other Uni's, so they ultimately decide if your A at Brock is a B+ at UofT, etc.

GPA is only part of the equation, don't forget LSAT's and recommendation letters. Every little bit helps, but I don't most people are aware of the various ranking systems. Not all Programs at a University are created equal.

Back
Top Bottom