Gas Code Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas Code Question

inreb

Site Supporter
I have a plan. Tell me why this won't fly. I want to mount 2 direct vent wall heaters one on top of the other. Clearance calls for 12" above, I have 20" between the units.
Anybody in Hamilton with a gas ticket want to help me purchase these? Will be compensated of course.

Last edited:
I have a plan. Tell me why this won't fly. I want to mount 2 direct vent wall heaters one on top of the other. Clearance calls for 12" above, I have 20" between the units.
Anybody in Hamilton with a gas ticket want to help me purchase these? Will be compensated of course.

Forget it. Warm weather on the way. You won't need them.

Forget it. Warm weather on the way. You won't need them.

Typical towmotorhunk. I'll call you when I need something moved. No homo.

you need to find out clearances from all side, top, bottom and both sides.

you need to find out clearances from all side, top, bottom and both sides.

Clearances are 1" to the sides, 0" to the bottom and 12" to the top. Backside is mounted touching the wall. So I'm thinking if I mount one @20" above the other I'm good. I know it's unconventional to do so, so thought somebody might have compelling reason not to.

Why not get a single unit with more btu? Heat rises so are you trying to heat already heated air? If the units have their own thermostats you might confuse them

The manufacturer (Empire) also makes tall narrow direct vent wall mount counter flow furnaces which is what I prefer but they require electric power. I'm trying to put something together for power outages. The ones I'm proposing to use are blower optional. Optional wall stat can be mounted away, so no confusion. But now I'm wondering if the lower furnace might aid in tripping the high limit switch in above unit. Single larger unit doesn't fit available space, too wide.

I`ll bite. Why two on the wall

2 x 15k bth will give enough heat to keep frozen pipes at bay during power outage with option to run one furnace only as booster on the coldest days. It's very cold in that corner of the house.

I have a fan on my wood stove that generates electricity from the heat of the wood stove, is this possible with your gas units?

That might be something to investigate but the top surface is small (9x20) and no where near as hot as wood burner. I've also been looking at gas stoves but the problem there is no clean unobstructed place to put it. Plus expen$ive.

That might be something to investigate but the top surface is small (9x20) and no where near as hot as wood burner. I've also been looking at gas stoves but the problem there is no clean unobstructed place to put it. Plus expen$ive.

clean up the house a little... my wood burner cost me about $1000 with everything including WETT inspection but the chimney was already exhisiting. Has added to enjoyment, physical fitness and we had no issues when the power was out, though hooking the furnace up to a generator probably would have been less strenuous, thinking of making a plug that I can unplug the furnace from the mains and plug it into a generator for those no power situations. Though I can cook on a wood stove, can't cook on my furnace.

clean up the house a little... my wood burner cost me about $1000 with everything including WETT inspection but the chimney was already exhisiting. Has added to enjoyment, physical fitness and we had no issues when the power was out, though hooking the furnace up to a generator probably would have been less strenuous, thinking of making a plug that I can unplug the furnace from the mains and plug it into a generator for those no power situations. Though I can cook on a wood stove, can't cook on my furnace.

LOL, no I run a pretty slick operation, no rat pack junk, just saying there is no clean central place to put the stove due to first floor layout. I've run through all the options including B vent chases, gas piping all over hells half acres, furnace types and sizes etc. As we know everything is compromises and trade offs. I already have my regular furnace corded to plug straight into genny. The ducting can't make it to the far corner, which this winter has shown, really needs to be there to be effective. An additional 15k/btu x 2 direct vent heaters looks like the solution. These heaters can't be throttled down so the option of turning one off should serve well. I can't find the stacking of heaters on hvac forums. I have 'til next winter to do this but like anything the present is the best time to formulate a plan.

My BIL does hvac. I will ask him this weekend. He'll probably charge for advice though, as he is not Italian. Also, does not like to get paid in meatballs.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

My BIL does hvac. I will ask him this weekend. He'll probably charge for advice though, as he is not Italian. Also, does not like to get paid in meatballs.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

OK, I hope you understand the gist of what I'm proposing and, please, make ample use of multisyllabic words. It'll be more convincing. Chow for now.

The manufacturer (Empire) also makes tall narrow direct vent wall mount counter flow furnaces which is what I prefer but they require electric power. I'm trying to put something together for power outages. The ones I'm proposing to use are blower optional. Optional wall stat can be mounted away, so no confusion. But now I'm wondering if the lower furnace might aid in tripping the high limit switch in above unit. Single larger unit doesn't fit available space, too wide.
if you are mounting the top one 20" above the top of the bottom one I don't think you will trip the high limit of the top one. Are the heaters a 2 pipe system, 1 for vent, one for combustion air? if so check clearances from exhaust to intake, some are 3 ft, also if they are 2 pipe and they are stacked, the top one could pull the exhaust from the bottom one back inside.

It's pipe in pipe where the exhaust pipe is inside the intake pipe.

It's pipe in pipe where the exhaust pipe is inside the intake pipe.
It's a concentric vent. The outer pipe is the combustion air, inner is exhaust. read the clearances for the vent pipe, it could be 3 ft., also depending on the height of the units, if you space them 20" apart will you have your 12" clearance from the ceiling? I thinks it is a bad idea to stack appliances with concentric venting.

Last edited:
It's a concentric vent. The outer pipe is the combustion air, inner is exhaust. read the clearances for the vent pipe, it could be 3 ft., also depending on the height of the units, if you space them 20" apart will you have your 12" clearance from the ceiling? I thinks it is a bad idea to stack appliances with concentric venting.

Yes, I will have 12"+ to the ceiling. You do realize these units' combustion chambers are completely separate from occupied space? And the vents will be 45" apart on centre?

Back
Top Bottom