Northern Roads - Sand and Salt Conditions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Northern Roads - Sand and Salt Conditions

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
It's almost time for riding up north again for some day trips. Wondering what the Algonquin area is like including Muskoka, Haliburton and more. I hope the good roads have not had any major potholes and frost heaves this year.

I also have to do a day trip up to Owen Sound area pretty soon and wondering what the sand/salt conditions are like up there too.

Post up if you are in the know!

Haven't been riding there but I've been out and about between Barrie, Alliston, and Collingwood in my car. Major roads mostly OK, smaller roads mostly a mess. Even around here, that's pretty much how it is.

In northern Durham, and the Kawarthas, not a ton of potholes but some nasty frost heaves, (and those are likely only to get worst), as the frost hasn't even really begun to leave yet

Wow not even really thinking about riding up north (well north of Port Perry at least). I'll just be happy if the bike sees clean roads near the 401 for the month of April...

Gotta grab my bike from sudbury.

If i want it sooner than later, im prolly gonna have to rent a pickup truck for a day to bring it down here (least expensive options next to riding it down here a month later) Dealer told me it was -21 yesterday morning ...sheesh.

Gotta grab my bike from sudbury.

If i want it sooner than later, im prolly gonna have to rent a pickup truck for a day to bring it down here (least expensive options next to riding it down here a month later) Dealer told me it was -21 yesterday morning ...sheesh.

I've got a dodge diesel, ramps, and tie downs. I live in Barrie. If you cover the fuel, I'll go pick it up with you. It'll be considerably cheaper than renting. I believe the last time I went to Sudbury, it cost less than $100 round trip.
I'm available most weekends/some weekdays. Let me know if I can help.
Jeremy

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Went up to Owen Sound yesterday and the roads were in great shape on the well traveled routes. I took Hwy 10 north and Hwy 6 south. Still a little salty - mostly the fine dust between tire tracks and across the centre lines.

Upper Big Chute: doing some construction work - possible widening the roadway so it's very bumpy, dirty and 40km/h - avoid it.
Muskoka Rd 38: great shape
Mortimers Point Rd: A bit sandy and bumpy - should be much better in a few weeks
Peninsula Rd/632: A bit of sand in some spots and a bit rough here and there, but overall in decent shape
Tally ho / Swords Rd: great shape
#518: a bit of sand but still lots of fun
Ravenscliffe: still has lots of sand
Muskoka Rd #3: excellent
Hwy 141: excellent
Brackenrig: excellent
Muskoka Beach Rd: a bit of sand, but overall was good
Housey Rapids / Coopers Falls: sand, but still fun

Upper Big Chute: doing some construction work - possible widening the roadway so it's very bumpy, dirty and 40km/h - avoid it.
Muskoka Rd 38: great shape
Mortimers Point Rd: A bit sandy and bumpy - should be much better in a few weeks
Peninsula Rd/632: A bit of sand in some spots and a bit rough here and there, but overall in decent shape
Tally ho / Swords Rd: great shape
#518: a bit of sand but still lots of fun
Ravenscliffe: still has lots of sand
Muskoka Rd #3: excellent
Hwy 141: excellent
Brackenrig: excellent
Muskoka Beach Rd: a bit of sand, but overall was good
Housey Rapids / Coopers Falls: sand, but still fun

thanks Shane. I guess Upper Big Chute is out of action for a long time then?

I was talking to a long haul trucker today and he said he's never seen so many moose, bear and elk on the Trans Canada. He added that stupid drivers stopping on the pavement to look at them were adding to the problem. Duck lady is not a one off phenomenon.

Any updates around either the 507 area or Omemee? We had a ton of rain a few weeks back that should have cleaned things up nicely...but then there was that 2-3 days of snow so who knows if salters and plows were back out there (and no real rain since)...

thanks Shane. I guess Upper Big Chute is out of action for a long time then?
All depends on what type of bike you are riding. For an upright seated bike it is fine (although very bumpy) and a little interesting to ride through with all the cut trees. There's lots of good logs for firewood too! For a cruiser or sportier bike I would suggest you pass on it and spend your time on some of the better roads just a bit north.

Some Northern roads as of May 24:

118 between 11 and 35: perfect

35 between 118 and 60: perfect

518 between 11 and tally-ho swords road: generally good, but some larger sand spots on some of the tighter turns. Keep your lines away from the centre of the road and you will be fine.

tally-ho swords: some sand going into the road entrance, but otherwise perfect

632: perfect

those are what i did today. can't speak for other roads.

Last edited:
My wife and I were on Southwood on Monday. The level of sand is about as good/low as I have seen it. In other words there ios sand., but less than usual. There is no open gravel but a number of rough patches. It probably is more fun on my V-Strom than on my wife's Gladius (but she enjoyed it as well.)..Tom

Back
Top Bottom