How did you overcome your fear of riding? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How did you overcome your fear of riding?

Training course actually does a lot for someone new to help with basic skills and confidence. Especially if they have zero previous experience. Granted I agree about seat time but you're wrong when it comes to a course.

You're right, course does teach a lot,i do have other friends who have taken the course later just for the hell of it and they told me it taught them a thing or two.

motorchick and marktwothousand It is not about "riding scared" it IS about riding smart and within your skill set and ability. Motorchick has learned, as will mark at some point, as others have said it is not about if you will crash but when. If one were to study crashes in curves they would find the vast majority are due to rider error, (going in too hot, target fixation, panic, or not being prepared for potential issues, ie sand on road etc). How do you lessen the chance of a crash, you ride within your ability, (including the ability to stop should an issue arise).

One of the biggest mistakes I have seen both when I was a copper and even to this day riding with others is they get a few hundred hours and a few thousand km seat time and think they are invincible and can ride like Rossi. THEN they get a valuable lesson, (they aren't as good as they thought they were).

mark you are signed up for the course. This is a very good first step, listen learn, and ask questions, then practice practice and practice. Then when you think you have it down practice, practice and practice again.

Motorchick, it is natural to have "apprehension", (I will call it apprehension as opposed to fear), about entering into circumstances which surrounded and previous get off. In your case it was a corner. So now you have an idea of what lead to that crash you will again be in that circumstance, (unless you plan to never again turn and only ride in a straight line)... As you know that same scenario is coming up you have to prepare yourself for it and remind yourself what lead to the crash and what do you need to do to correct that issue. With each time you approach a similar situation you will get better at knowing exactly what to do and it will become second nature. Each time you do it correctly you will continue to gain confidence in your abilities.

Mark you, (I assume) have ridden a bicycle. riding a motorcycle uses he same basic principles then adds the components of shifting and speed. The course will teach you those. You will be fine you have to ride aware and defensively, but not scared.

It's funny you mention the bicycle because that was gonna be my next post. I actually ride a bicycle almost every day, several times a day downtown and have been for pretty much my whole adult life. Never an issue with cars. Only issue was once my own stupidity when I was young, after a drink and hitting a pothole. Will NEVER do that on a bike or motorbike again, so no lectures please :)

but I was gonna post to ask, is there anything in my biking that will help me in my motorbiking? Like for instance, I can't figure out if I am counter steering on my bicycle? or if a bike travels so slow, that all i'm really doing is turning handle bars.

one thing I think I can say will be transferable is awareness of traffic. As a cyclist, I am always looking at all four corners in intersections... i always watch for the left turners. Other than that, I am not sure what is transferable... Or perhaps it is the opposite, perhaps there are habits on a bike that I would not want to carry with me to a motorbike

and FTR...I don't use or own a bike helmet and I have always felt safe. Maybe I am just that cautious a rider. I hope so. I will obvs use a full face helmet as a new rider, but I want to changeover to a jetfigher style with clear shield for occasional daytime use on short distances, urban riding only, on hot days, as soon as (and only if) I feel my skills are up to it.

Hedo2002, whether it's "apprehension" or "fear" base, I have it. I guess it stems from my line of work in personal injury. I've dealt with all sorts of accidents and it makes one think how precious life is. I love to ride but I need to develop confidence especially with having a fairly new bike and being somewhat a newby. In actuality, I was an overly cautious driver when I obtained my G license as a teen and now I've developed so much skills and confidence over the years that I've been truly blessed to have avoided accidents. Back then I wasn't sure if I would have gotten over my nerves but I did and proud of it. I guess my problem is my lack of control of the situation and without that control I'm afraid to make a mistake. My biggest fear is hurting someone else. I was lucky to have not caused any damages and avoided coming into contact with another human being. Although I got into an accident, I was truly blessed to walk away alive with no casualty. Gaining support from this forum has humbled me and encouraged me to take a chance to learn and grow with my riding spirit. Once the weather warms up some more and the roads get cleaned up from the debris, I will attempt to ride again! Slowly and surely...

Practise = improvements as opposed to No Practise = quitting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right hand brake on a m/c is the front brake. B/c it's the rear...

All you wrote about riding a bike and traffic situations is gold. You seem to have a heads up approach and that's gonna help a ton.

Have a blast, the course is fun

You both might consider reading the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. The author goes through crash statistics to show you the most dangerous situations (drinking, night riding, intersections) and how to mitigate your risk. While we cannot eliminate riding risk, there is a lot we can do to reduce it. The book helped me a lot and added to my arsenal of riding tactics. For example, if you are going through an intersection simultaneously with another car, use the car as a blocker from left turners. Speed up or slow down to match the speed of your blocker. Of course as you reduce the risk of the left-hand turner, this does nothing to reduce the risk of a right-hand turner.

Hough also goes through the physics of turning and counter-steering, and shows you why the best line is the best. A little riding theory, written on paper so you can review it after, made a big difference for me.

More knowledge and more practice should, over time, reduce your apprehension of riding. If you decide to stop riding for a while, that is ok as well.

Who's kidding who? At any moment you could be snuffed out or worse, seriously hurt. Mixing it up in dense high speed traffic with distracted and generally incompetent cagers is a recipe for disaster. Training and high vis/protective gear is just a weak rationalization. Ever wonder why only a very small portion of the population does this? Reasons. Now, exploring the wide open spaces of Ontario is an all together different matter.

Going wide in a corner (highway 403 turning south going towards Oakville - highway 407 East/West starts) scared the crap out me. I am thinking why is the bike going wide, what can I do to fix it, I am going to hit the concrete barrier, is car going to hit me in the outside lane I am drifting into. Somehow I managed not to crash but took the next off ramp (403/Dundas). Couldn't shake it off so I rode back home. I google about wide turns and also told my friends about what had happened. So after finding what I did wrong and what I should do I took the 403 turn again on a early warm Sunday morning (less traffic) and I did it without turning wide. Finding out what I did wrong and what the right thing to do also talking to my friends I think help me.
btw the way if you need a safeplace to practice GO station parking lots are huge and pretty much empty on the weekends/holidays. Don't go early, though, people sleeping in will be ******. good luck

Going wide in a corner (highway 403 turning south going towards Oakville - highway 407 East/West starts) scared the crap out me. I am thinking why is the bike going wide, what can I do to fix it, I am going to hit the concrete barrier
wow... And that turn on the 403 is what I would have thought was an easy turn, it's not that sharp an angle...
now I am seriously thinking about this... Wow... If it is that hard to get those turns right... It really seems like a gamble

wow... And that turn on the 403 is what I would have thought was an easy turn, it's not that sharp an angle...
now I am seriously thinking about this... Wow... If it is that hard to get those turns right... It really seems like a gamble

It's not. You're really overthinking all this. Clear your mind, go to the course, have fun and learn everything you can. Don't ride downtown Toronto, use country roads to learn on. If you turned your bicycle at anything more than a jogging speed, you counter-steered.
Riding is dangerous, however there are tons of riders who've never been seriously injured in an accident. Many "crashes" involve nothing more than a low side slide, resulting in a little road rash (or a lot), not every crash results in instant death.
Try skydiving, if you screw up, there's gotta be even less chance of recovery...
With 36 years of combined dirt/street experience, I've broken my ribs, left arm/wrist, right foot, fractured my pelvis, fractured my spine in two places AND bruised my kneecap (that really smarts). Not even one of those injuries was on a street bike or anywhere near civilization for that matter...

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Like ZX600 said. You're over thinking everything. There are inherent dangers to a lot of things in our lives but we still live our day to day lives without consequence. Riding is the same way, just be alert of your surroundings and really listen when you take the course.
When you start riding after your course, go at it alone and practice at your own pace. You'll eventually get the hang of it and you're confidence will grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marktwothousand; and FTR...I don't use or own a bike helmet and I have always felt safe. Maybe I am just that cautious a rider. I hope so. I will obvs use a full face helmet as a new rider said:
Ride a bicycle down town TO w/no helmet? Worried about safety on a motorcycle?? WTF?????

you're going to need this
http://www.daveirwinfoundation.org

Good Luck

Ride a bicycle down town TO w/no helmet? Worried about safety on a motorcycle?? WTF?????

you're going to need this
http://www.daveirwinfoundation.org

Good Luck

Have seen many a head injury from very low speed impact, 10 kms and under. Ski hill injuries with high speed impact. Helmets split from the impact. All nasty.
Riding a bicycle down town, or anywhere, without a helmet is most definitely your choice/risk.
Moral of the story.... Head injuries don`t care what speed you are doing they will cause at best, short term memory loss to paraplegic. Plus of course, loss of life. Riding locally is the same as long distance risk.
Listen to a head bouncing off the pavement, sounds just like cabbage being squashed.
Honestly, why risk your life/head for the sake of a helmet?

"CB Rider" you are so right with WTF.

Do the thing that makes everyone uncomfortable: sit down and reflect on why you crashed, and learn from it.

More often than not, your crash will be caused by two components, mental and physical limits.

Your physical limit is caused by ignorance of technologies and techniques. For example, crossed up while turning, scraping the pegs, and getting thrown off is bad technique. Pulling the clutch in while u-turning and dropping the bike is bad technique. Braking while in a turn (not trail braking, I'm talking about the stuff new riders do) then running off the road is bad technique. Starting off on the inside of the turn, running wide, then off road is horrible technique.

Mental limits have to do with your state of mind. Following a group of more experienced riders, trying to keep up and crashing has more to do with your mentality than technique. When I crashed at mosport's rdt last year it was caused primarily due to going full retard the whole day; I felt like I was getting faster and faster each session but my focus was diminishing and every session I felt closer to the edge. My body couldn't take that kind of strain and with a slight slip of concentration, I high sided. So the lesson: pace myself. Trying to go full retard while it's cold is another example of a bad mental state. Riding ****** off is another example (do not take your anger out on something that does 0-200 in 8 seconds...seriously).

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know how or why you crashed, but it's different for everyone. Just be honest with yourself and don't repeat the same mistake(s) =)

Take some riding courses to learn the techniques, as for your mental state....well that's something I find very few people understand, so good luck and ride safe!

crashed the bike last year and saw a video of it..honestly its a risk you take. but perhaps a group ride for you out of the city ,might do the trick

everyone is very different, some people will drop their bike and be afraid to get on one ever again
ive been in an accident on the 401 about 7 years ago.. recovered and got back on a bike fearlessly
there is that thought of getting hurt while riding, but thats a wrong mindset to have, in that case youre better off not getting out of bed, cuz who knows you might brake your foot while stepping off the bed.. you know what i mean?

keep a clear head, dont have the thought of "crash/accident/falling" in your head, go out, have a blast, go back home for dinner :)

I think though, that being too nervous and timid on a bike is no good either.

^

Two years ago after falling in the rain while making a right turn having the rear slide out on the thick painted pedestrian line, I developed a fear of riding in rain/wet roads. This didn't stop me from riding, instead, I was extra cautious on turns in wet conditions. Whats wrong with this?

1. I was riding more tense during wet conditions. (Almost death gripping handle bars)
2. I pulled the clutch in sometimes while taking low speed turns.

Two things I knew not to do, but the fear of having the rear come out again clouded my mind until I eventually, slowly, regained my confidence in riding in wet conditions.

After going down for the first time, take your time, evaluate what went wrong, and slowly work your confidence back up.

Two years later, and the thought is still in the back of my mind, sometimes I still mentally fight with myself telling myself to loosen up and not to grab the clutch when taking turns in wet conditions. Dry road conditions, I don't have the problems stated above.

On a side note, the day I went down, I picked up my bike and rode it the rest of the way to school with a very bent brake lever and a couple scratches here and there.

Last edited:
I dont think you completely get rid of it. you just become smarter. Its my 2nd season and I feel the same feeling as I did on first day

After wiping out in the rain I was kind of afraid to ride in rain. I just slowly got back into it and take it easy now and I'm fine.

Other crashes before that didn't really bother me much. Mostly because I knew where I messed up and how to avoid doing those things again.

Back
Top Bottom