How did you overcome your fear of riding? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How did you overcome your fear of riding?

Not too long ago I gotten into a bit of a wipe out. Was okay, except for some bruises and especially a "bruised ego". Recently, I've been encountering some fear of riding roaming around in my mind and some anxiety too. We've been blessed with some beautiful weather and I find myself being reluctant to ride. Is it just me, or has anyone else been through this as well? If so, what did you do to overcome it?

Thanking in advance for your support.
Funny you post this today. The woman cutting my hair today use to ride, went hot into a corner, panicked, grabbed too much brake and ate the ditch on the far side. Broken ankle minor bike damage, she says no biggie but hasn't ridden since. The look on her face as she said "I still like to right pillion on my hubbies bike" was heart breaking.
Don't follow your fear, lead it.
Friends use to ask me how I could take the risks I did while skiing, since I was so afraid of heights. I had decided that I was never going to die with my skis on. I don't think I'm immortal, was just my way of getting out in front of my fear and leading.
Get back on that bike and ride the f*** out of it!!!
Ride aware, ride ready, keep the shiny bits up.

After spending years on this forum I have come to realize that asking advice in a forum sometimes it might get people more confused.

Figure out why you crashed and practice so you don't repeat it.
Ride at your comfort level, if you feel scared then slow down, or go and ride in an area with less traffic, or stop for the day.

Only seat time will get you back to normal. It also helps to go riding with someone with more experience that can guide you and help you out, chose wisely

So, motto chick, can you explain what happened that caused your spill?

A few years ago, I met up with a good friend down in Florida and spent a week together riding.

Returned home and a few days later found out he died from a collision out on the bike.

40 plus years of safe riding experience and he had no chance with a vehicle that pulled out in front of him.

Made me question if I wanted to ride.

Made me leery of any vehicle at a driveway or intersection that could pull out.

But with time, the smile and desire returned.

Wide turn followed with sudden braking. Basically made a mistake with my turn then lost control after I panicked.

Front or back wheel locked, run off the road and tipped over in the ditch?

Front or back wheel locked, run off the road and tipped over in the ditch?

I believe it was the front wheel that locked. Then flew off and my bike hit a pole and someone's fence. It could have been worse but it happened so fast that my reaction time was limited.

Okay, so its good to know what happened. Sounds like you weren't prepared to make the corner. There's a bit of mental preparation required to get the lean right, unlike a car where you just turn the wheel.

Okay, so its good to know what happened. Sounds like you weren't prepared to make the corner. There's a bit of mental preparation required to get the lean right, unlike a car where you just turn the wheel.

wait for the warmer weather.

When I had my first fall I was a bit weary to ride again too but mostly hwys because it happened on a steep onramp, but I had a good friend take me on the ramp and back to the hwy to get comfortable again and after that and some more time riding streets I did just fine. You can always practice more in a parking lot if you want or make some friends and have them help you out (there are lots of people that will help out on here me included) . Take it easy and you'll do just fine.

I went down at the end of last summer, was my own fault but just one of those things. Always said it was a low speed lowside but after thinking about on and off for the last half year I believe it was actually more of a high side. Was slowing down to do a Uturn on a road which had a lot of gravel, big chunks and before I knew it I was slammed to the ground. Fractured my arm and cracked 4 ribs. I was still a relatively new rider and all my friends and family thought I'd finally give up this "dangerous hobby" after the crash. That happened on a Saturday, by Monday 10am I was ordering parts to fix my baby. After 5.5 weeks of healing and as soon as I could pull the clutch in with my bad arm I was on the road.

Like others have said in this thread, ride defensively and ride as if no one see's you is always the best mental state to be in. Riding in fear or being scared means you are not ready to be out there. I love riding but I am fully aware of how dangerous it can be for us. Accidents will happen, for riders we all know it isn't a question of IF we will go down..... only WHEN.

Ride when you are ready, last thing any rider needs to is be distracted from their one job on the road.... coming home safe.

A few years ago I used to do aerobatics. Absolutely loved it. Would do anything that was as close to death as one could get.
Sure, made a few mistakes, nothing serious, I am still here today.

One story I remember really well which also can relate to motorbikes.
Talking to a good friend of mine and he asked how I was feeling. I replied nervous. I was about go spend an hour or so owning the sky.
To which his reply has always stuck with me.
He said, "When you stop feeling nervous, it is a good time to quit aerobatics" Reason was that you are too sure of yourself and will make bad mistakes by being too flash"
Once I was in the air and settled down I was good to go and concentrate on what I was doing.

Same for bikers and perhaps racers?

I think though, that being too nervous and timid on a bike is no good either.

I think though, that being too nervous and timid on a bike is no good either.

Yes, I agree.

For some riders it is probably normal being timid/apprehensive..
Maybe, I did not explain my self very well.
I was trying to be positive.

Not too long ago I gotten into a bit of a wipe out. Was okay, except for some bruises and especially a "bruised ego". Recently, I've been encountering some fear of riding roaming around in my mind and some anxiety too. We've been blessed with some beautiful weather and I find myself being reluctant to ride. Is it just me, or has anyone else been through this as well? If so, what did you do to overcome it?

Thanking in advance for your support.

downsize to a scooter or stop riding.

Just wanted to say, I'm struggling hard with this too and I know the safety course will help me a lot. But is there some people that do a course, pass the test, but still, just don't get it? I'm afraid I might end up one of those.

i am super fearful of these left turn crashes and I'm telling myself that going slowly thru intersections and being ready to brake will seriously improve my chances if someone turns in front of me, but then I ask myself, "don't all riders do that? If so, why didn't it work for them?" Or is it that many riders just don't take enough precautions? I didn't read the full details of that post about the catastrophically injured guy on here (frankly I couldn't make it thru past the first page), so I can't and won't, out of respect, comment on that. But surely, if someone has a passenger especially, why wouldn't they slowly approach and coast thru the intersection, ready for the possibility of an errant left-turner? wouldnt it slow the Impact somewhat and improve the chances of walking away with minor injuries over major? Or do we risk catastrophic injury no matter what the speed?

And I keep hearing about people losing control in turns because they end up going straight and off the road. I guess this is something I will have to wait to learn in riding school. Because again, with a slow entry, and acceleration coming out of a turn...other than unexpected obstacles in a turn...how does this happen??? :( the Rules I have read say...brake and adjust gears before your turn, counter steer, and accelerate out of it! That's what I always plan to do, so should I be OK??!

Just wanted to say, I'm struggling hard with this too and I know the safety course will help me a lot. But is there some people that do a course, pass the test, but still, just don't get it? I'm afraid I might end up one of those.

i am super fearful of these left turn crashes and I'm telling myself that going slowly thru intersections and being ready to brake will seriously improve my chances if someone turns in front of me, but then I ask myself, "don't all riders do that? If so, why didn't it work for them?" Or is it that many riders just don't take enough precautions? I didn't read the full details of that post about the catastrophically injured guy on here (frankly I couldn't make it thru past the first page), so I can't and won't, out of respect, comment on that. But surely, if someone has a passenger especially, why wouldn't they slowly approach and coast thru the intersection, ready for the possibility of an errant left-turner? wouldnt it slow the Impact somewhat and improve the chances of walking away with minor injuries over major? Or do we risk catastrophic injury no matter what the speed?

And I keep hearing about people losing control in turns because they end up going straight and off the road. I guess this is something I will have to wait to learn in riding school. Because again, with a slow entry, and acceleration coming out of a turn...other than unexpected obstacles in a turn...how does this happen??? :( the Rules I have read say...brake and adjust gears before your turn, counter steer, and accelerate out of it! That's what I always plan to do, so should I be OK??!

training course doesn't do much, i never took the training course and i'm still kicking, experience on the road teaches you everything. My friend took the training course, 3 days later an SUV took his life, speed was the factor to his death (cbr600rr), his fault not the SUV driver.

If you want to learn how to ride aggressively go to the track and learn and crash there.

Last edited:
Training course actually does a lot for someone new to help with basic skills and confidence. Especially if they have zero previous experience. Granted I agree about seat time but you're wrong when it comes to a course.

marktwothousand:

Accidents can and will happen. With no cage there is zero forgiveness when we get into accidents, whether it be single vehicle accident caused by the rider or an accident with another vehicle. As for people loosing control in corners, likely going to fast or riding beyond their limits. I have a 600s and have huge chicken strips and don't really care that they are there, others seem to have the need to get rid of of them by any means necessary.

As for rules..... they are great but on the road anything can happen in a split second. Take the course and learn.

Riding a bike is dangerous and when you go down its gonna suck, just a fact. If that scares you too much you may want to rethink your choice of riding.

training course doesn't do much, i never took the training course and i'm still kicking, experience on the road teaches you everything. My friend took the training course, 3 days later an SUV took his life, speed was the factor to his death (cbr600rr), his fault not the SUV driver.
If you want to learn how to ride aggressively go to the track and learn and crash there.

Your friend's death has nothing to do with him taking a riding course or not. Aggressive riding, especially for a new rider is a recipe for disaster. I believe every new rider should take a riding course, but I also agree nothing beats seat time and experience and always ride within your own limits.

Last edited:
careful now... trolls have an insatiable appetite.

I had a good crash and it wrote off my bike, broke my wrist and provided some other minor injuries. The other driver was 100% at fault and there was nothing I could do to prevent the collision other than not be in that time and place. As soon as the insurance money arrived, I bought a new bike. I knew I wanted to continue riding. A major point of learning was to improve my gear. So I did.

A few years later I crashed, but this time it was my fault, due to cold tires, cold pavement and following too closely. My new gear provided my with all the protection I needed but my bike was a write-off. I learned a lot from that experience and a lot of that had to do with taking more courses to be in better control of my bike and also having better recognition of my surroundings, so that I take fewer unnecessary risks on the street.

What did I do in these situations to overcome any fear of riding? See where I could improve and make the necessary changes. Some collisions or drops are a matter of timing and circumstance, but the better prepared you are to react in those circumstances, lessens the severity of the outcome. Motorcycling has some inherent danger associated with it, but there is often a lot you or anyone can do to lessen the degree of that risk.

The rest is life - when you run out of time, it's your time. Enjoy it while you have it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom